The Coach, our drafting and Heath Hocking

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

BenDoolan wrote:It is only my opinion, but I reckon Selwood is better than Gibbs, and always will be.
Yeah, not too sure what to read into Gibbs this season. A couple of interesting things to add:

1. He's one of the youngest draftees (born 03/89 - only turned eighteen in march)
2. He's getting an education in the backline this year and read somewhere that he has held opponents pretty well (13 goals kicked on him in 12 games or something) while creating a bit, too.

He does look a little lost at times but he has great poise and skills. I think he'll come good. That said, Selwood looks like a superstar and I think you're probably on the money.

I also like the look of Travis Boak, Mitch Brown, Ricky Petterd and Justin Westhoff (steal of the draft for mine at #71). Port would be pretty happy with their drafting so far... Boak, Krakouer, Gray and Westhoff have all played, and played pretty well. Does anyone know who does their recruiting? Pearce was a super pick last year as well.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:It is only my opinion, but I reckon Selwood is better than Gibbs, and always will be.
Yeah, not too sure what to read into Gibbs this season. A couple of interesting things to add:

1. He's one of the youngest draftees (born 03/89 - only turned eighteen in march)
2. He's getting an education in the backline this year and read somewhere that he has held opponents pretty well (13 goals kicked on him in 12 games or something) while creating a bit, too.

He does look a little lost at times but he has great poise and skills. I think he'll come good. That said, Selwood looks like a superstar and I think you're probably on the money.

I also like the look of Travis Boak, Mitch Brown, Ricky Petterd and Justin Westhoff (steal of the draft for mine at #71). Port would be pretty happy with their drafting so far... Boak, Krakouer, Gray and Westhoff have all played, and played pretty well. Does anyone know who does their recruiting? Pearce was a super pick last year as well.
I have to admit that I haven't seen these guys all too often. It is just an opinion based on very limited time I have viewed them. But, according to the hype Gibbs received prior to the draft that "he was a ready made player" is obviously over the top. He's gotta learn just like every other kid.