Dyson SIGNS

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

ANOTHER chance.

You're on your last legs.

Show us what you're made of, and you'd better hope like hell you repay the huge confidence your coach has shown in you.
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

The things that piss me off most about this are:

1. There is bugger all chance that Dyson is going to make it next year. He doesn't have the ticker for AFL.

2. Playing Dyson (who can't go forward or back and will only ever be a winger) will mean that we're keeping guys like Reimers, Dempsey and Houli out of the team. Not to mention taking up space on the interchange bench that we could use to give young midfielders like Hocking and Lonergan a go.

3. Next year we're going to have to delist again. There are no obvious candidates - JJ and Lee with possible retirements of Mal and Fletch are the only ones that come to mind. That means we're going to have to delist other guys that deserve to be there a hell of a lot more or else miss out on kids in the draft.

Two years is ridiculous.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

I would have been happier with one, I agree.

It's a done deal now, so let's hope he pulls his finger out!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

andrewb wrote:The things that piss me off most about this are:

1. There is bugger all chance that Dyson is going to make it next year. He doesn't have the ticker for AFL.

2. Playing Dyson (who can't go forward or back and will only ever be a winger) will mean that we're keeping guys like Reimers, Dempsey and Houli out of the team. Not to mention taking up space on the interchange bench that we could use to give young midfielders like Hocking and Lonergan a go.

3. Next year we're going to have to delist again. There are no obvious candidates - JJ and Lee with possible retirements of Mal and Fletch are the only ones that come to mind. That means we're going to have to delist other guys that deserve to be there a hell of a lot more or else miss out on kids in the draft.

Two years is ridiculous.
No, having players like MJ, JJ in the team is taking up the spots of others.

Go through our team and we have quite a number of older players in the team taking younger spots. Thankfully most have been moved on already, with a couple more to go.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

The difference being that MJ and JJ for a long time WERE our midfield. Weve gotten tremendous value out of them in the past.

Dyson has given us nothing. He doesn't even have past performance to back us up. At least the J's have given heart and soul to us and run themselves into the ground. Dyson can't say the same.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Filthy, I would absolutely love you to be right. I really would.

He's signed up now, so let's see what he can do.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Hard to give it your all when you play one game in 3 and spend 70% on the bench.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I do find it quite hilarious that people consider Lucas and Lloyd to be the un-tradeable heart and soul of the club, but consider MJ and JJ to be dispensable. Go back and watch some tapes of 1998-2005 and watch those two smash themselves contest after contest and drive the ball forward.

Keri is spot on again - don't get a big head though :) - Dyson has done nothing. The club owes a massive debt to the Johnson boys for their role in the 2000 premiership and for ruining their bodies carrying the team in 2001-2005. I'd prefer that the club paid a $200k pension to MJ and told him to spend a year as a depth player toughening up the kids than contracting a soft receiver who's done nothing for an extra two.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Rossoneri wrote:Hard to give it your all when you play one game in 3 and spend 70% on the bench.
Zactly
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

And if he only gets that much game time, why isn't he using that as an opportunity to REALLY show the coaching staff what he's made of? He doesn't fight for it, he should be all the more hungry for that ball if he only gets that little chance to get at it.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

andrewb wrote:The things that piss me off most about this are:

Two years is ridiculous.
Agree to some extent - i would've preferred he only be given one year for the reasons you've mentioned.

But we won't be delisting anyone next year who doesn't deserve to be delisted. We've got one more serious year of delisting to go next year to undo the rubbish list management of 1999-2005 according to my assessment of things as they presently stand. Here's the guys that (assuming they remain on our list this year) represent potential retirements or delistings next year, with a rating alongside their name out of 10 judging by how likely i think they are to be gone by the end of next year:

JJ: 10/10.
Fletcher: 5/10 - 33 by the end of next year, so i reckon it's 50/50 whether he plays on in 2009, probably determined by form and injuries in 2008.
Peverill: 8/10. Already looks borderline this year, will probably be gone next year even if he plays reasonably well by his standards.
Michael: 9/10 - publicly stated he's unlikely to play on beyond 2008.
Lee: 8.5/10 - Has shown very little, contract expires end of next year, will be gone if he doesn't show something.
Lonergan: 7/10 - given one more year to show something, will battle if he doesn't show something next year given he was a late draft pick so our expectations aren't high.
Bradley: 3.5/10 - May be gone by the end of this year in the PSD to Freo, but if not, and if we offer him one year instead of two years, and if he doesn't improve next year, he could be gone by the end of next years (lots of "ifs" in that scenario).
Johns: 6.5/10 - Contracted until the end of 2008, enough excuses. Show something in 2008 or he'll be out the door.
MJ: 9/10 - May be gone by the end of this year in the PSD (or we could still delist him), but if not, he'll probably play a mixture of VFL and AFL next year and retire by the end of 2008.

So rest assured, i doubt we'll be delisting anyone next year who doesn't have it coming to them.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

keri wrote:And if he only gets that much game time, why isn't he using that as an opportunity to REALLY show the coaching staff what he's made of? He doesn't fight for it, he should be all the more hungry for that ball if he only gets that little chance to get at it.
Because its hard coming on and off the bench every 5 minutes. You need to pick up the speed of the game.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

I appreciate that as far as speed, agility and running cold go. But I'm not talking about skills. I'm not talking about him chasing blokes down, or not being quick enough. I'm talking about his commitment to the ball, and to the chase. Lucas is not a quick bloke, but time after time you see him give chase, even when everyone knows - including him - that bar a miracle, he ain't getting there. But he tries. And that's all I ask.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

andrewb wrote:Two years?

Please tell me that's a joke.

Who's his manager? I'll hire the bastard.
Ricky Dyson signed for 2 years.

have a look at essendonfc.com.au
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

tom9779 wrote:
andrewb wrote:Two years?

Please tell me that's a joke.

Who's his manager? I'll hire the bastard.
Ricky Dyson signed for 2 years.

have a look at essendonfc.com.au
Unfortunately it's true. I guess he would never have stayed for 1 with us v's 3 at freo, so it was 2 or see ya later.??.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
keri wrote:And if he only gets that much game time, why isn't he using that as an opportunity to REALLY show the coaching staff what he's made of? He doesn't fight for it, he should be all the more hungry for that ball if he only gets that little chance to get at it.
Because its hard coming on and off the bench every 5 minutes. You need to pick up the speed of the game.
The guy has speed when he has the ball, and is one of the slowest when he's without it. That's why he doesn't get game time, and that's why he's dropped more often than not. He simply doesn't chase (and he's got the pace to do so), and he doesn't want to get dirty. He needs to earn a spot in the team and not just be gifted games. That's what Knights says he's gonna do with this list, and I hope he carries through with it.
Essendunny
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I want to see him play under Knights. Will see how he goes in the first half of next year. I think Dyson is a player (among others) who Sheedy screwed most of the time.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I am pleased. I have faith in you Vacuum, now don't let me down!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Little surprised that Dyson has signed for two years, i would have thought that now was the time to trade him for another second round pick.

I have a feeling that MJ will get the chop as no one seemed interested in him and Pev deserves another year on the list. Bradley will probably remain uncontracted and end up in the PSD.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I am surprised at 2 years, but now that he is on board, let's see what he has got.

We have seen flashes but nothing substantial and yet he has been given every opportunity.

If nothing else, he need to bulk up. Too easily pushed off the ball.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark