1984 GF vs Hawthorn

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Was it channel 7 or ABC commentary on those DVD packs? Let me say, ABC commentary in the 84-85 GF is much better than channel 7 (same 20 years on)
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Peter Landy, Lou Richards and Bobby Skilton....Landy frequently called the wrong player but I always liked the three of them together :)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

They were pretty biased against us, Landy & Richards. I remember when Hawthorn started a brawl in the opening minutes of the 1985 GF and some mongrel had Baker in a headlock, Lou Richards says "Hawthorn aren't going to stand for any of Essendon's shenanigins today!" as if we had started it!! Still makes my blood boil thinking of it today. :x
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

SCOTTY probably got in the little Leprachorn's Ear.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

The ABC commentary was vastly superior. My copy is almost stuffed, so I wrote to Tim Lane to see if I could get a new copy.

He said that all the ABC footage had been sold to Foxtel so thy are my next port of call. If I succeed, I will let you know.

The only drawback to the ABC's coverage was Mike Fitzpatrick who was unable to mask his hatred of Essendon. Made the win even sweeter!!.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

rockhole wrote:The only drawback to the ABC's coverage was Mike Fitzpatrick who was unable to mask his hatred of Essendon. Made the win even sweeter!!.
That who that commentator is. I knew the other two (lane and Morphett) but had never heard Fitzpatrick speak. Thanks for that Rockhole
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

He must have STILL been COPPING FLAK about THAT GMAE at Princes Park in 1981,when the Umpire took the Ball off him for TIME WASTING and changed the course of the game.

Fitzpatrick once told of that,being abused then made some SMUG Remarks about CARLTON Winning the FLAG,whilst ESSNDON came 5th.A sort of SCHOOLBOY,"Nyah,nyah,nyah!We won,you lost", approach.