EFC 2008 Draw

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:The competition remains a backwater, local sport with nothing resembling a professional operation whilst the fixtures stay the way they are.

A total fricking joke!!!!
Since no one else has bitten I will, what do you mean?
Thanks Bonce....I was waiting for a nibble.

What I mean is that we have a competition which is flawed due to the inequities of the fixturing.

Either all sides play each other twice, home and away, or the concept of even playing field goes out the window.

Imagine this happening in the Premier League or another world class sporting event???

Its a joke
Agree with the theory - but how do you make it happen then?

- Extend the year to 30 weeks plus finals meaning players are injured, tired, unmotivated and the playing standard severely decreases?
- Give the chop to 4 teams decreasing membership, crowd attendances, revenue and basically destroying a lot of the soul of the game
- Break the league up into 2 divisions. Each team plays their own division twice (14 matches) and other division once (8 matches). Still unfair, imagine having Carl, Rich, Melbourne, Essendon, Saints, Freo, Adelaide and Geelong in one division, and all the others in another. It would bring up more cries of equality.

While in theory playing each other twice is the only fair way - it's going to be a long long time before it could even possibly be seen to happen.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

16 teams/30 matches would demand shorter games or longer lists or both. Would we want to see a 15 minute quarter, with only the Q4 with time on?

To fit it in, the pre-season, mid-season break and SoO would also go. I'd be happy with that.

More players means higher cost coupled with higher rates due to a longer season.

Television and cricket effects would be substantial.