Watson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Watson

Post by j-mac31 »

Brilliant at the stoppages.

Mostly crap elsewhere. Thinks to much about what to do and gets caught because he is too slow mentally as well as physically.

Remember Sheedy's recorded 3/4 time address last year Jobe?: "Just whack it on your boot son". Far too often he is caught in too minds and caught by a tackler. If you can't get a good kick, at least bomb it forward so the other team has to travel the whole ground to score a goal.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Fwiw, it was mentioned on tfs last night that Malthouse gave Watson votes ahead of Pendlebury last Friday.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

F111 wrote:Fwiw, it was mentioned on tfs last night that Malthouse gave Watson votes ahead of Pendlebury last Friday.
I saw that too F111 and found it quite interesting. It would appear that Malthouse might be a better judge than the majority of posters on this forum. Maybe it's because he is able to look at Watson with an objective perspective as distinct from people here who continue to bag him when he fails to achieve a 100% mark in terms of the effectiveness of his disposals.

Certainly with our current squad, he would be the first midfielder I would select when naming a team.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

swoodley wrote:It would appear that Malthouse might be a better judge than the majority of posters on this forum.
Really? I never would have guessed.

Easier to criticise than to create :P
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

swoodley wrote:
F111 wrote:Fwiw, it was mentioned on tfs last night that Malthouse gave Watson votes ahead of Pendlebury last Friday.
I saw that too F111 and found it quite interesting. It would appear that Malthouse might be a better judge than the majority of posters on this forum. Maybe it's because he is able to look at Watson with an objective perspective as distinct from people here who continue to bag him when he fails to achieve a 100% mark in terms of the effectiveness of his disposals.

Certainly with our current squad, he would be the first midfielder I would select when naming a team.

=D>
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

AS PREDICTABLE as it was disappointing, some Bomber fans couldn't get on radio quick enough to verbally whack Jobe Watson after Essendon's Anzac Day disaster.

Why? "Too slow" and "too many turnovers" have taken over from "too fat" as the focus of their anger against the man some describe as the Butcher of Bomberland.

This reputation is completely unwarranted.

While Watson remains a whipping boy at Essendon, it is a perception based on an assessment that must have been made some years ago. Not on the output we have seen in the past two years.

Watson has improved dramatically and is pivotal in balancing the rapid-fire movement of those around him. He is the only player at the Bombers who can successfully play slow.

To survive, slow players have to be good distributors, to use those around them to complement what they do well: win the footy.

The best slow players in the game are Sam Mitchell, Simon Black, Cameron Ling, Daniel Cross, Lenny Hayes and - although he's been under the radar for most of the year - Scott West, the daddy of them all.

Watson isn't yet at their level, but he's tracking them hard, and before you committed Watson sledgers reach for the phone, please consider some facts:

1.) Watson is the best contested ball winner of your midfield, with 47 for the year. Next best is Brent Stanton with 38.

2.) He's the best clearance player at the club by a country kilometre with 28. The next best is Mark McVeigh with 13.

3.) He's the best at the club at scoring from stoppages.

4.) Last week he had 12 of Essendon's 30 clearances. That's 40 per cent from one player.

The bottom line is that the Essendon engine likes to operate in overdrive, but if Watson wasn't there to kick-start it, it would be coughing and spluttering but never really turning over. Things would be a lot uglier than they were last week, particularly with McVeigh out.

All turnovers hurt and, yes, Watson has had the most handball clangers (nine) in the competition.

But put it in perspective. When you are getting the ball where, and as often, as he does, the raw number of clangers will be high.

But as a percentage it is still acceptable and will no doubt improve.

Speaking of possessions, consider some further Watson facts:

1) He's clearly the best score-assist player at Windy Hill with 12. He should take more shots himself and that will make him an even more potent player.

2.) He finds the footy better than anyone else at the club, be it uncontested, contested, hardball or looseball.

3.) He's making David Hille a much more efficient ruckman. Hille and Watson have combined effectively at takeaways 12 times, which is the best ruckman-player combination in the league. The next best is eight, and the next best at Essendon is three.

Without trying to overstate the case, Watson is fast becoming a quality midfielder who can successfully play slow and should be given some wider acknowledgment - as Mick Malthouse did in the coaches' player-of-the-year award this week - not derided when a handball misfires.

When Watson entered the league, his kicking let him down too often because he was uncommitted to it. Now it's at a more-than-acceptable level and improving, both in decision making and execution.

Yes, Watson, like every player, will still make errors. But when he does the shrill cries of anguish and claims of "ball butchery" are relics of the memory of a developing junior, not the current player. It tells you more about the critic than the bloke wearing No. 4.

The handball mistakes come from, at times, going for too much in extreme pressure situations. Having greater confidence in finding another way through congestion by foot will develop if he has similar faith in his feet as he does in his hands.

Having dominated juniors as a handballing genius, I suspect his awareness receptors are trained on the immediate 20m surrounds. Like many players, he needs to work hard to better compute long options before instinctively dishing off the handball.

Some handball errors, particularly a couple of intercepted shockers, were as much the receiver's fault as Watson's.

He can still improve in everything he does. But at age 23 and effectively in just his fifth year, that is simply stating the obvious that is eluding too many Bomber fans.

He is developing rapidly into a quality player who will be limited only by his own view of his capabilities, his work-rate and how much he's prepared to broaden his radar when he has the ball, even if some mistakes still occur.

Maybe you disagree - and can't see past the odd clanger as he works out how good he can be -- so you already have picked up the phone.

Well, while you are waiting on the line, digest one final point - the Dons average 10 fewer contested possessions than their opponents.

So imagine what it would be like if Watson wasn't there.
John from Ascot Vale, you're on the air . . .
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Great, great article. Kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it. He has his flaws (what player doesn't) but brings so much to the team.

Essendon fans love having whipping boys. ATM it's Watson. Hardly fair, though.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

His main critics say he's too slow. But how many times has he been "caught with the ball"? Hardly ever. And for someone who's slow, he is high up on our tackle count. There are that many positives about Jobe Watson's game, that the feeble minded farksticks won't accept. Yes, he can choose the wrong option from time to time. Yes, he does tend to look for the handball too much on occasions. But did Tim Watson ever do that? Of course he did, but everyone loved Timmy because he could run & carry and look spectacular.

I don't particularly like Gerard Healy - never have. But that is a damn good article.
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Not a huge Gerard Healy fan but am a huge Watson fan.

Jobe is more important to our team than we give him credit for.

Yes he makes mistakes, so does everyone else, but at least he gets his hands on the pill and as I said last week was one of the only ones on the ground wearing red and black that was willing to have a go and didn't drop their head, post midway second quarter.

Go Jobe
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Good article.
Let's keep things in perspective.
Yes, Watson does butcher the ball sometimes.
But his contribution to the team is huge.
I would have him in our top 3 or 4 players at the moment.
(In fact, given our current injuries, maybe even top 2 - with Hille).
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I am as guilty as any for moaning about Watson this year. I guess that most of this dismay stems from the expectations that he was going to carry all before him and display the talent we know he has.

During the last couple of rounds, his mistakes have been highlighted but a lot of the "engine room' stuff has been ignored.
Jobe has the same ability as Smokin' in that he can appear to have had a quiet day and end up with high 20's possessions

Healey's article helped to get things back in perspective and I will be watching with great interest his game on Sunday as I will force myself to concentrate on his efforts alone.

We desperately want to see these guys succeed and I guess sometimes the expectation outguns reality.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
srams
Top Up Player

Post by srams »

rockhole wrote:
Healey's article helped to get things back in perspective and I will be watching with great interest his game on Sunday as I will force myself to concentrate on his efforts alone.

We desperately want to see these guys succeed and I guess sometimes the expectation outguns reality.
Well said.

Sometimes it takes the view of someone who doesn't have an emotional investment in the team to put things in their true light
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

srams wrote:
rockhole wrote:

Well said.

Sometimes it takes the view of someone who doesn't have an emotional investment in the team to put things in their true light
Considering Gerard Healy hates all things Essendon, it says quite a lot that he has jumped to his defence.
Essendunny
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

The problem is the bomber midfield makes Watson look bad. The Essendon midfield is full of wingman, we don't have three decent centre bounce players. Currently the only "pure" centre bounce midfielders we have are Jobe Watson and Mark McVeigh, I think Houli, Hislop and Hocking have the ability to become pure midfielders but apart from these four we have a couple of pinch hitters, and alot of wingmen/link up players such as Stanton, Jetta, Winderlich, Dyson, Lovett and probably a couple more. Lonergan may be able to step up into this role but currently he is a pinch hitter like Davey also. If you look at the good sides they all have great blokes in at the centre bounce.

Hawks: Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Sewell, Young
Cats: Bartel, Ablett, Corey, Ling, Selwood

Dare I say it even Carlton are heading in the right direction with Judd, Stevens, Murphy in their.

We just need to get McVeigh back in that Centre and then either wait and see Houli/Hislop/Hocking to stand up or draft the best hard at it midfielder possible next draft.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Filthy wrote:I have been a great fan of Jobe since he started....trouble is now when he makes a blue its a goal against... I counted 5 last week.

Unacceptable.....and he'll know it won't he Tim and Susie. :wink:
When you are the only one going in for the ball and trying to dish it out, that will happen. Perhaps if his team mates helped him out rather than running around others getting cheap kicks, then his turnovers wont hurt us so much on the scoreboard.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Once again was the only player who looked like getting it out for us tonight. We really need to get Mcveigh and Lonergan back. They were doing a great job at giving Jobe a hand.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Yes but I wish he would back him self kicking more often, he can actually be a pretty good kick.