brisbane ins?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: brisbane ins?

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:ok, so we have to take things literally now?
And two of the players you mentioned are HBF who get easy chip kicks, so I would expect that their effeciency rate would be above 75%. Though NLM is above 76%, I'd love to know where you get these figures from? And out of curiosity, how many are short kicks?
Pev is an exception, going in for the hard ball and to have an effeciency rate of 81% is a damn good effort.
Gus is an in and under forward, who applies pressure to the oppositions defence, something we o not see enough of, especially with Davey out.

Yes Gus needs to improve, but so too does Nash. NLM would almost be gone at the end of the year.
No chance.
With Dempsey, Houli and Nash as HBF, where would he fit?
Too thin to be CHB/FB.
Could we play him up forward with Lucas, Lloyd, Mcphee, Neagle and Gumbleton (if ever fit)?
Hmmm.......he'd still be required on the list I would think. He may struggle to make the best 22, but at least he could pressure the guys that will be there. I think he provides depth on the list as he is a capable defender cum forward. He has his weaknesses, and it's up to him to work harder and become better. With Pev, JJ, Johns, and perhaps Lee almost certain to be cut from the list, NLM is in that "age" bracket where we struggle to have a core group. At 25, NLM isn't a lost cause. He's had some ordinary games with costly errors, but he has also played some solid games and performed reasonably well. Consistency is the problem.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Big problem.

I suppose, its probably one of those things thats happened in the past. If certain players are in your best 22, then you are in trouble.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Funny thing, this football supporting in that it polarises opinions even among like minded people.

Living in WA I don't get to see many games live and so form a lot of my opinions from watching games on TV.

Last week I was able to get to the game at Subi and thought that both Monfries and NLM played good games. Seeing the ground that Monfries covered throughout the day gave me a greater appreciation of his performance than I would have got from watching it on TV. BD, I know where you're coming from in relation to his kicking efficiency but that should not be the main measure of his perfomance last week.

And Ross, I don't get where you're coming from in relation to Natrat....yes he made a couple of mistakes but his help defence was pretty damn good and overall I thought he was one of our better players (I may have given him a vote...can't remember without looking back at the vote thread). You talk about other options such as Dempsey, Houli and Nash on the half backline but I would have Natrat ahead of Dempsey (until he can prove he can put more than 2-3 games together) and Houli will end up as a midfielder for sure. Nash (who also seems to be copping a fair bit of heat lately) has been in the same team all year so Idon't see the two of them competing for a spot.

Both players have improved over the season (as has the team in general) and I would think that both currently sit comfortably in our best 22.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

swoodley wrote: And Ross, I don't get where you're coming from in relation to Natrat....yes he made a couple of mistakes but his help defence was pretty damn good and overall I thought he was one of our better players (I may have given him a vote...can't remember without looking back at the vote thread). You talk about other options such as Dempsey, Houli and Nash on the half backline but I would have Natrat ahead of Dempsey (until he can prove he can put more than 2-3 games together) and Houli will end up as a midfielder for sure. Nash (who also seems to be copping a fair bit of heat lately) has been in the same team all year so Idon't see the two of them competing for a spot.
NLM has had a couple of good games that I can think of. Kangaroos, Adelaide (close to our best), ok against Carlton and ok against Freo.
But he has had many shockers. What I cant fathem is how someone with so much open space, running down the wing, manages to shank a 30m into the forward line. As a defender, he is often way out of the contest or gets pushed aside far too easily. Fisher led him to the ball and tracked back numerous times and he wasn't even close.
He is a good player when Fletcher and Ryder are on top of their opponents.

I would always have Dempsey ahead of NLM, but you are right, Dempsey needs to get his body right. Houli will move into the middle, but probably in a couple of years time, once he gets his engine up.

As BD said, NLM will be a good depth player, but being in our best 22 at this stage is a sign of where we are at.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

NLM is a decent player, i think he is one of those guys that would be more damaging as a utility type player, like a Notting or someone. For this reason and the purple patches his shown, he needs to stay on the list.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

NLM is a key member of our defence. How often has his opponent got the better of him? He can play tall or small and provides excellent rebound.

He tackles well, marks well, and contributes a goal a game from HB.

Kicking may be ordinary but he does a job.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:NLM is a key member of our defence. How often has his opponent got the better of him? He can play tall or small and provides excellent rebound.

He tackles well, marks well, and contributes a goal a game from HB.

Kicking may be ordinary but he does a job.
True enough, especially the bolded part. He may fluff a few disposals, but really, which opponents have dominated in the games he's played?
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Nash?

He's 3rd in general kicks, 5th in handball receives and 3rd in rebound from 50. He has a kicking efficiency of 68%. You may want to suggest someone who is like a flash in the pan, or a one hit wonder, but I like my consistent players thanks.
68%???????????? Im sorry, when was that good?
I know this is old hat, but to answer the question more relevantly, compare it to the "eilite" or "gun" midfielders of Brisbane....

M. Rischitelli - 68.1%
L. Power - 64.9%
T. Johnstone - 60.4%
S. Black - 53.5%

or Carlton....

Judd is 71.5%
Stevens - 69.5%
Murphy - 63.4%

AFL average - 65.5%
Essendunny