Perfectionist

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Perfectionist

Post by Madden »

Stanton was F****** magnificent on the weekend. I can't think of a time he turned it over. Some of his long kicks were amazing - pinpoint accuracy.

He started the year very very slowly but has really picked up. We've gotta remember that he's still only 21.
Cozmo
Top Up Player

Post by Cozmo »

billyduckworth wrote:Still looking for cheap kicks sometimes - there was once in the last quarter (I think) when McVeigh noticably ignored him and kicked the goal himself instead.

But overall has certainly improved. Maybe giving him No.5 wasn't such a bad move after all?

Thats a part of what he is in the team for...
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Anyone who thinks that there are "cheap kicks" in the AFL playing our brand of football is kidding themselves and have a quiet chat to Ricky Dyson about just how easy it is to get your hands on the ball.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I was happy with Stanton's game on the weekend, although I still have the following concerns:

a) He still searches for cheap, meaningless touches that cost the team (Knights dragged him twice for this on the weekend)

b) His toughness still has a question mark over it

c) He still hasn't proven he can cope with a tough tagger

d) Can give a look of "what the f#$k are you doing" when team mates don't give him the ball

Having said all that, his game on the weekend was very good. If he can address the issues above, and possibly overhead marking, he will begin to enter the elite of midfield players. As an aside, I was impressed with his little mates game on the weekend.

Morning FILTHY
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

andrewb wrote:Anyone who thinks that there are "cheap kicks" in the AFL playing our brand of football is kidding themselves and have a quiet chat to Ricky Dyson about just how easy it is to get your hands on the ball.
Hmmm. Possibly the stupidest comment I've seen you make andrewb.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gringo wrote:d) Can give a look of "what the f#$k are you doing" when team mates don't give him the ball
That's probably my only remaining problem with him, I am really impressed.

How come Jobe has been in the league a year longer yet has not improved his kicking? (Except on the left! :P )
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

gringo wrote:
andrewb wrote:Anyone who thinks that there are "cheap kicks" in the AFL playing our brand of football is kidding themselves and have a quiet chat to Ricky Dyson about just how easy it is to get your hands on the ball.
Hmmm. Possibly the stupidest comment I've seen you make andrewb.
Big call... there have been a few.

Let me rephrase. Stanton is one of the best users of the ball in our team. The opposition would be aware of that. He can setup attacks from the back pocket, from half back, from the centre, from the half forward flank, from anywhere on the ground because of his ability to break zones with his disposal. Have a look at some of his kicks from the defensive 50 on the weekend to players in the corridor - a mark in the centre square in modern footy is a massive win out of defense because it means you can attack up the middle or from either flank.

Hence, his direct opponent would be told to keep the ball off him. Hence, he has to work his arse off to get the ball. Hence, he doesn't get cheap possessions. Remember that he's one of the only blokes on the team who actually gets a tag.

Re: the McVeigh incident, if he had have been playing for Geelong then there's no doubt he would have handballed to the bloke 20m in the clear 15m closer to goal. Fortunately he kicked it but it if he had have missed we all would have said that Stanton was the better option in that case.