McPhee

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: McPhee

Post by tom9779 »

rockhole wrote:Rather than single out one game, I reckon McPhee has had a great year overall. He is a great mark, his decision making processes have improved, he's quick and he is hard to match up.

Maybe the bar was set too high from his initial years, but he is a valuable player and one of the first picks for any given week.

Whereas I can understand the frustration with some of our players, I cannot understand how Smokey gets lumped into the argument.
what really shits me about him, is that he seems to only play well when we are winning.

(or do i need a memory refresher?) have a look at his stats. didnt give a hellava lot when we were losing week in week out this year... his best games are nearly always in a winning side.

http://www.bombersfc.com.au/TheClub/Pla ... 3&typeid=2
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

andrewb wrote:You can never question a player's ability... that is the fault of the coach and the selectors.

You can only question their endeavour.

McPhee tries his heart out to get the team over the line. Tom3409731487349287568925... you're a dickhead.

if mcphee had have put in a big game on the weekend, the dons might still be looking at finals this year.

instead he put in probably his worst performance of the year.

but yer my obvious mcphee hatred is obviously coming through...pffft.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:
rockhole wrote:Rather than single out one game, I reckon McPhee has had a great year overall. He is a great mark, his decision making processes have improved, he's quick and he is hard to match up.

Maybe the bar was set too high from his initial years, but he is a valuable player and one of the first picks for any given week.

Whereas I can understand the frustration with some of our players, I cannot understand how Smokey gets lumped into the argument.
what really shits me about him, is that he seems to only play well when we are winning.

(or do i need a memory refresher?) have a look at his stats. didnt give a hellava lot when we were losing week in week out this year... his best games are nearly always in a winning side.

http://www.bombersfc.com.au/TheClub/Pla ... 3&typeid=2
You could say the same about Lloyd. How shit is he? I mean, how was Lloyd playing when we lost 8 in a row?

McPhee will finish top 5 in the best & fairest..........again.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tom9779 wrote:
andrewb wrote:You can never question a player's ability... that is the fault of the coach and the selectors.

You can only question their endeavour.

McPhee tries his heart out to get the team over the line. Tom3409731487349287568925... you're a dickhead.

if mcphee had have put in a big game on the weekend, the dons might still be looking at finals this year.

instead he put in probably his worst performance of the year.

but yer my obvious mcphee hatred is obviously coming through...pffft.
The second bolded statement is proven by the first one.... :roll:

Being at the game, I somehow got the impression that lack of defensive pressure through the midfield hurt us badly in the first half which led to a 38 point deficit at half time. The eagles forwards were able to mark freely inside their forward 50 and have set shots at goal. Our midfielders failed to kick to our leading forwards and our defence seemed to forget that the way to score is to get the ball forward quickly.

I thought these points were the main resons for our deficit and subsequent loss.

Thanks Tom for showing me the error of my ways....I now realise that McPhee was solely to blame =;
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I think playing him in between the two 50's has being a good move for the majority of the year. He has a good tank and great pair of hands and provides a contest when coming out of defence - he aint a forward as such, but does go forward when required to kick goals.

My main question is - assuming Lloyd, Lucas, Gumby and Neagle are fit and playing as the marking forwards next year - where do you play him? I found him to loose as a defender - is playing him as a tall midfielder ala Goodes an option?
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

McPhee can play anywhere. If we have the personel to fill other roles he plays a brilliant wing. Any role where he can run around taking grabs and he is fine.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I think he is an ideal half back flanker or winger.
takes a strong grab, runs and breaks tackles well.

I think he would be more involved in the play, and maybe pick up a few more touches.

then again, he plays well as the third tall in the forward line when Lucas and Lloyd are both there.

Clear as day, based on his stats, outstanding game when left a little loose, struggles otherwise.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I think he makes too many really bad errors when playing in defence which cost goals. I reckon he's had an excellent year across half-fwd. I also reckon he could be part of the midfield rotation - he is a tough nut - attacks the footy fearlessly - and reasonable stamina and pace too.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Will have a tough game this week. Bock is a great defender... would love to have him in the red and black. No doubt will be more ammunition for the baggers.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

C'mon Tom, let him have it. He was terrible today. Captain Brain Explosion.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:C'mon Tom, let him have it. He was terrible today. Captain Brain Explosion.

I only got todays game on the radio. not commenting. :wink: