2009 Bombers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: 2009 Bombers

Post by j-mac31 »

F111 wrote:Fletch can play FB, and Lucas has shown he can play CHB.

However, succession planning may also be in the minds of the coach and others, so with that in mind, who will be groomed into the back end key positions next year?
Ryder/Pears/Hooker/new draftee

I do not want Lucas to play back, because we MUST get game time on good talls into these guys while Fletcher is still there to help out (ie. next year only!)
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Lucas at CHB is insanity. The guy can kick 7 goals in a quarter, Even franklin has never done that! He is also the best option for a HFF as he is the best long kick in the team. Let Gumby play KPP with Lloyd and Lucas exerting influence further up the ground like a Richo or a Reiwoldt.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I also think Lucas is best in the forward half, BUT if Ryder is needed in the ruck, the choices become dramatically thin.

With that a possibility do we use Gumby back there? Someone reported him at 200cm recently! Is he a ruck option? Nah, too thin, and not the experience, but stranger things have happened.

Is Daniher an option back there?
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

I dont think our defence runs as thin as some of you seem to believe. I think this is how they will line up next year and with Pears and Daniher as key defensive prospects I dont see an urgency for key defenders in this years draft. The option is there to throw Lucus or even McPee back as well.

FB Houli Fletcher NLM
HB Gumbleton Ryder Lovett
C McVeigh Stanton Reimers
HF Lloyd Lucus McPhee
FF Jetta Neagle Davey
R Watson Welsh Hille

Int Winderlich Laycock Dempsey Monfries

The team below is after Fletcher, Lloyd and Lucus and on paper looks like a formiddable side (And that not considering our luck in the next 2 drafts). Neagle has shown me enough to be confident he will be a 70+ goal FF and if Gumby lives up to the hype, a 200cm mobile CHF could be a handful for any defence.

Daniher will at very least be a good reliable defender like his father or at best he could be anything after all he is a Daniher and he is a big lad capable of playing on the gorillas. Big wraps on Pears as the new age FB, mobile and smart, he will match well on the ever increasing forwards of this architype. Pretty sure these are the guys we will build our defence around. Add to that, Ryder who could play an offensive roll on the 3rd tall or I hope, become a dominant roving ruckman.

Of course it depends on who comes up to afl standard, but the prospects are already there and I dont see an urgency for any certain position unless it has already been determined that these guys wont make the cut.

FB Houli Pears Daniher
HB Myers Ryder Lovett
C McVeigh Stanton Reimers
HF Dempsey Gumbleton McPhee
FF Jetta Neagle Davey
R Watson Welsh Hille

Int Winderlich Laycock Slattery Monfries
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

I like war games
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Slattery,Fletcher, Hurley
Dempsey, Ryder, Myers
Lovett, Lonergan, Mcphee
Gumbleton, Lucas, Davey
Jetta, Lloyd, Stanton

Ruck: Hille, Watson, Mcveigh

Bench: Reimers, Houli, Laycock, Welsh

Emerg from: Nash, NLM, Bellchambers,Neagle, Monfries,Pears, Licha

apologies if i have forgotten anyone obvious, but thats my 2009 team. (Prismall not considered because he won't play a game until round 10 or so next year).

Hurley vs Pears - too hard to call - but I want one of them in the best 22 come round 1.
Licha should prob get a run if he trains well. Experienced and Fast.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:Slattery,Fletcher, Hurley
Dempsey, Ryder, Myers
Lovett, Lonergan, Mcphee
Gumbleton, Lucas, Davey
Jetta, Lloyd, Stanton

apologies if i have forgotten anyone obvious, but thats my 2009 team. (Prismall not considered because he won't play a game until round 10 or so next year).
Hurley vs Pears - too hard to call - but I want one of them in the best 22 come round 1.
Nash ahead of Dempsey until Dempsey can prove he won't break any bones whenever he sneezes. And Monfries ahead of Jetta simply because he's just a better player at this stage.
Essendunny
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

BenDoolan wrote:
tom9779 wrote:Slattery,Fletcher, Hurley
Dempsey, Ryder, Myers
Lovett, Lonergan, Mcphee
Gumbleton, Lucas, Davey
Jetta, Lloyd, Stanton

Nash ahead of Dempsey until Dempsey can prove he won't break any bones whenever he sneezes. And Monfries ahead of Jetta simply because he's just a better player at this stage.
I like a really quick team, which is why I had Dempsey in over Nash. I love the potential in that backline(dempsey, ryder, myers).
Angus was a tough one to leave out, I really like Jetta around goals, huge talent..but i see what your saying.
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

Slattery,Fletcher, Hurley
Dempsey, Ryder, Myers
Lovett, Lonergan, Mcphee
Gumbleton, Lucas, Davey
Jetta, Lloyd, Stanton

Very suprised youd have Hurley ahead of NLM in the back half, Id have Welsh before Lonregan in the centre, and I think Matty knights has said he wants to go tall up forward to Neagle lurking in the forward pocket next to Lloyd instead of Jetta who can be a little bit hot and cold...
Agree Licha should push for selction, and we will definately have some good pace with the likes of Lovett, Davey, Reimers in the side....
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

My team:

B: McPhee Fletcher H.Slattery
HB: Dempsey Ryder Houli
C: Lovett Watson Prismall
HF: Welsh Lucas Reimers
F: Davey Lloyd Gumbleton

Ruck: Hille Stanton McVeigh

Int: Winderlich Hurley Skipworth Myers

Emerg: Monfries Laycock Jetta Nash Lonergan Lovett-Murray Neagle

I'm not sure we need Laycock. If we can fasttrack Hurley, we could almost rest Hille and play Ryder as 2nd Ruck and then Hurley takes Ryder's position at CHB. This may allow us to play an extra runner around the ground.

I think some of the emergencies are probably ready now, however I've selected the team based on talent. If I believe some players are of equal talent then I have selected them based on consistency and performance (ie. runs on the board). For example, I have selected Davey and Reimers ahead of Jetta and Lonergan.

It is good to have the emergencies we have as they all are capable are walking in and performing a job.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Cannot believe everyone is leaving Gus out. :shock: If nothing else the guy is a free-kick magnet. :lol:

B: Myers Fletcher Slattery
HB: Hurley Ryder Nash
C: Lovett Watson Houli
HF: Reimers Lucas McPhee
F: Monfries Lloyd Neagle
R: Hille McVeigh Stanton
I: Gumbleton Davey Laycock Lonergan

E from: Dempsey, Lovett-Murray, Jetta, Skipworth, Bellchambers, Dyson, Winderlich, Pears.

not considered: Daniher, Prismall, Welsh (all inj)
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.