Predicted Best Team at Round 15

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Predicted Best Team at Round 15

Post by swoodley »

ZeroEffect wrote:B: Houli, Fletcher, Hurley
HB: Dempsey, Pears, Welsh
C: McPhee, McVeigh, Stanton
HF: Davey, Lucas, Riemers
F: Monfries, Lloyd, Dyson
R: Ryder, Watson, Lovett
Int: Lovett Murry, Winderlich, Prismall, Zaharakis

Emg: Hooker, Lonergan, Hocking

It's not exactly a balanced side but it's our best in my view. Notable ommisions from the current side include the 3 emergencies and H. Slattery... the emergencies where very unlucky... Slattery just isn't up to AFL standard. The big inclusion is probably Lucas, he's a champion and we shouldn't forget that. Like all champs, he WILL bounce back. Let me know what you think.
No coverage for Ryder if he got injured :shock:
Hocking has been excellent this year and would be ahead of Houli and Monfries.
Winderlich into the starting 18 ahead of Reimers.
Hooker ahead of Hurley purely on current form...he has played on Brown, Franklin and Reiwoldt and has held his own and so deserves a spot. Hurley has loads of potential but has only played one game (which although very good does not give us enough to put him straight into the team)
I'd love to see Lucas bounce back but at this stage he is not in our best 22.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

swoodley wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:B: Houli, Fletcher, Hurley
HB: Dempsey, Pears, Welsh
C: McPhee, McVeigh, Stanton
HF: Davey, Lucas, Riemers
F: Monfries, Lloyd, Dyson
R: Ryder, Watson, Lovett
Int: Lovett Murry, Winderlich, Prismall, Zaharakis

Emg: Hooker, Lonergan, Hocking

It's not exactly a balanced side but it's our best in my view. Notable ommisions from the current side include the 3 emergencies and H. Slattery... the emergencies where very unlucky... Slattery just isn't up to AFL standard. The big inclusion is probably Lucas, he's a champion and we shouldn't forget that. Like all champs, he WILL bounce back. Let me know what you think.
No coverage for Ryder if he got injured :shock:
Hocking has been excellent this year and would be ahead of Houli and Monfries.
Winderlich into the starting 18 ahead of Reimers.
Hooker ahead of Hurley purely on current form...he has played on Brown, Franklin and Reiwoldt and has held his own and so deserves a spot. Hurley has loads of potential but has only played one game (which although very good does not give us enough to put him straight into the team)
I'd love to see Lucas bounce back but at this stage he is not in our best 22.
My predictions where based on Round 15, not round 9. And your right about Ryder, maybe bring in Hooker for Zaharakis, that would bring balance to the force.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

BACKS: B.Houli, M. Hurley, C.Hooker
H-BACKS: C.Dempsey, T.Pears, D.Fletcher
CTR: M.McVeigh, S.Lonergan, B.Stanton
H-FWD: K.Reimers, S.Lucas, A.Lovett
FWD: A.Monfries, M.Lloyd, A.Davey
FOLL: P.Ryder, J.Winderlich, J.Watson
INTER: B.Prismall, H.Slattery, T.Bellchambers, R.Dyson

EMERG: A.McPhee, J.Neagle, Zaharakis

That was tough because I've been rapt with our year and competitiveness. Nice to have pressure for spots instead of Rd 22 last year when we only had 1 listed playing at Bendigo due to injury.

McPhee, frustrates me at the moment. He has obvious ability but sometimes looks like he won't go at full tilt. Last night thought that terd N Brown (a smaller player) beat him and McPhee was continually outmarked.

For me it came down to McPhee or giving Ryder a rest during the game, so big Bellchambers had to go on the bench. Bellchambers also has not done much wrong and more game time will only benefit us. Can't see Laycock ever getting back.

Welshy sadly would be pushing it to be fit.

Zaharakis has done nothing wrong this year, in fact he's being fabulous, and deserves a spot but the wave of more experience might go against him. Could come in for Prismall if Prismall needs more time with his knee.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:BACKS: B.Houli, M. Hurley, C.Hooker
H-BACKS: C.Dempsey, T.Pears, D.Fletcher
CTR: M.McVeigh, S.Lonergan, B.Stanton
H-FWD: K.Reimers, S.Lucas, A.Lovett
FWD: A.Monfries, M.Lloyd, A.Davey
FOLL: P.Ryder, J.Winderlich, J.Watson
INTER: B.Prismall, H.Slattery, T.Bellchambers, R.Dyson

EMERG: A.McPhee, J.Neagle, Zaharakis

That was tough because I've been rapt with our year and competitiveness. Nice to have pressure for spots instead of Rd 22 last year when we only had 1 listed playing at Bendigo due to injury.

McPhee, frustrates me at the moment. He has obvious ability but sometimes looks like he won't go at full tilt. Last night thought that terd N Brown (a smaller player) beat him and McPhee was continually outmarked.

For me it came down to McPhee or giving Ryder a rest during the game, so big Bellchambers had to go on the bench. Bellchambers also has not done much wrong and more game time will only benefit us. Can't see Laycock ever getting back.

Welshy sadly would be pushing it to be fit.

Zaharakis has done nothing wrong this year, in fact he's being fabulous, and deserves a spot but the wave of more experience might go against him. Could come in for Prismall if Prismall needs more time with his knee.
McPhee frustrates you Col? He's been good this year, and last night, he copped an ankle injury and returned to the field to play on Brown. McPhee (in form) is vital to our team going forward in the future with the young group coming through.
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Ben, I'm afraid he does.

I agree he is an important player and I also acknowledge he carried an injury last night.

I admit to be a bit hard on him because I expect a lot more of him, that's why he frustrates me. McPhee is my son's favourite player.

From how I see it McPhee mucks up a lot of what should be easy possessions and last night I would have thought he'd be too good for Brown, especially overhead.

This team was a good exercise and I would think any player would consider themselves unlucky to lose their spot when the other players come back and it does show that the club is rebuilding and playing very well. (Even Robert Walls said at least four times last night how much he loves the way Essendon play).

With the team I picked I have named, McPhee would be unlucky but there's a Scott Lucas that I'm hoping can shake the yips and be a productive and confident option again.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Round 15 Revison (ie. more clarity less red wine):

B: McVeigh Fletcher Pears
HB: Welsh McPhee Dempsey
C: Winderlich Watson Lovett
HF: Monfries Lloyd Lonergan
F: Davey Lucas Laycock
1st R: Ryder Stanton Hocking
2nd: Laycock Prismall Lonergan
I: Dyson Reimers Zaharakis Prismall

Emg: NLM, Skipworth and Houli

Differences:

Slattery, Neagle and Bellchambers are out.
Lucas, Zaharakis and Laycock are in.

These are starting positions and are subject to change based on match-ups - this may even be a team for late in the season.

I have only named two tall defenders - Fletcher and Pears - with McPhee as a third tall or based on who we play - we can play him as a floater (or switch player). I believe we should exploit opposition teams based on ground level ball winners - whether being contested or uncontested. I believe all three that have come in are better users of the footy - and provide more upside and potential. Lets execute our comparative advantage.

McVeigh out of back pocket is purely based on less running and aerobic work and more on doing an experienced and yet professional job on a small forward. He has plenty of experience in this area - and in 6-10 weeks should be back to decent level of fitness (even with a month in the VFL).

I have Welsh on a HBF even though he is recovering. If he has to go forward - we have a Lonergan type who can go back (as he has a defensive and accountable nature - or Hocking who is of the same type) - and if match-ups aren't sufficient - we have a NLM - who is another switch player like McPhee.

I honestly look at that 22 and can't find a better combination on our list. With that Team we can play in a Preliminary Final - and - we won't have to travel past the MCG.

Let's execute our ability - run hard - you just never know!!!
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey