Gold Coast: Who Do We Protect?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gold Coast: Who Do We Protect?

Post by bomberdonnie »

swoodley wrote:
tom9779 wrote:Roger Merrett was no queenslander and Merv Neagle no sydneysider.

yet they both left for more cash.

i've answered this from the gold coast perspective. IMO mcveigh/hille are the two they would be most interested in. obvious leaders after Lloydy and still have years left in them..
Merrett and the club had a bit of a disagreement which led to him leaving. In a recent article I read regarding Merv leaving, he stated that the money he was offered was just too good to pass up at the time as he had a young family. The offer was something like $360k whereas Essendon were offering well less than half that amount.
I am sure I have also read that FOJ regrets the decision to move to this day??
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gold Coast: Who Do We Protect?

Post by swoodley »

bomberdonnie wrote:
swoodley wrote:
tom9779 wrote:Roger Merrett was no queenslander and Merv Neagle no sydneysider.

yet they both left for more cash.

i've answered this from the gold coast perspective. IMO mcveigh/hille are the two they would be most interested in. obvious leaders after Lloydy and still have years left in them..
Merrett and the club had a bit of a disagreement which led to him leaving. In a recent article I read regarding Merv leaving, he stated that the money he was offered was just too good to pass up at the time as he had a young family. The offer was something like $360k whereas Essendon were offering well less than half that amount.
I am sure I have also read that FOJ regrets the decision to move to this day??
True...he was interviewed by David Rhys-Jones for Inside Football a month or so ago which is where I got the above info from. He did go on to say that he regretted the move especially now when he gets together with others from that era.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012