Prismall?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Re: Prismall?

Post by Doctor Fish »

andrewb wrote:Stats are very misleading on Stanton's game this week Tom. Honestly, he had somewhere between one and three disposals that were to advantage. He had 7 touches in the first 5 minutes, pretty much all of which were fumbled or misdirected. He looked panicked and played panicked and it set the scene for everyone else. The most concerning thing was that every time that Stants was in a one-on-one with a Geelong player fighting for a contested ball, they came away with it. He couldn't extract it and he couldn't lock it up. Woeful, woeful game... and I'm a big fan of his.

The fact is, Stants doesn't play well against Geelong. They treat him like a little kid and push him around. And, more importantly, he takes it. They've got absolutely no respect for him and he knows it. The only way he's going to change that is to come out with a bit of mongrel. He's a much bigger lad than he was when he started playing in this competition and he needs to start throwing his weight around more.
All in good time Andrew... When the kid learns to deal with a hard tag, he'll be much more dangerous against sides like Geelong. The fact that Geelong have put a hard tag on him shows more "respect" for his game than you might like to think...

As for dropping him? Now that's funny...
Last edited by Doctor Fish on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

No suggestion of dropping him came from me!

I didn't think that Stanton had a tag against Geelong? They put Ling on Watson (Ling killed him) and the other mids went head to head. He might have worn a tag for the latter parts of the first and early in the second but other than that he was pretty much opposed to Selwood from what I could see. Could really have used Hille, McVeigh and Welsh.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

andrewb wrote:No suggestion of dropping him came from me!

I didn't think that Stanton had a tag against Geelong? They put Ling on Watson (Ling killed him) and the other mids went head to head. He might have worn a tag for the latter parts of the first and early in the second but other than that he was pretty much opposed to Selwood from what I could see. Could really have used Hille, McVeigh and Welsh.
I suggested a potential run in the twos. So I'll wear that one.

Like andrewb, I didn't think he was wearing a tag, but I'm happy to be wrong. Was he wearing a tag against Richmond too? He was as good as useless against them as well.

As for McVeigh, it may have been my eyes deceiving me, but I'm pretty certain he was on the park against Geelong. :?:
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Yes, McVeigh was on the park. He certainly wasn't on the ball though - in both senses of the phrase.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

andrewb wrote:Yes, McVeigh was on the park. He certainly wasn't on the ball though - in both senses of the phrase.
I'll pay that.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Doctor Fish wrote:
andrewb wrote:Stats are very misleading on Stanton's game this week Tom. Honestly, he had somewhere between one and three disposals that were to advantage. He had 7 touches in the first 5 minutes, pretty much all of which were fumbled or misdirected. He looked panicked and played panicked and it set the scene for everyone else. The most concerning thing was that every time that Stants was in a one-on-one with a Geelong player fighting for a contested ball, they came away with it. He couldn't extract it and he couldn't lock it up. Woeful, woeful game... and I'm a big fan of his.

The fact is, Stants doesn't play well against Geelong. They treat him like a little kid and push him around. And, more importantly, he takes it. They've got absolutely no respect for him and he knows it. The only way he's going to change that is to come out with a bit of mongrel. He's a much bigger lad than he was when he started playing in this competition and he needs to start throwing his weight around more.
All in good time Andrew... When the kid learns to deal with a hard tag, he'll be much more dangerous against sides like Geelong. The fact that Geelong have put a hard tag on him shows more "respect" for his game than you might like to think...

As for dropping him? Now that's funny...
I thought he finished the game pretty well. Stanton nearly always finishes games well.

I think the team as a whole was rattled by the intense amount of defensive pressure applied by the pussy cats in the first two quarters.

I agree Stants/Watto both were well beaten by their opponents. Wouldn't drop him tho. When stanton drops a tag he is very effective.

re stats, they tell half of the story.

the other half is that he has played very well this season, an observation picked up by more than a few scribes in the media as well.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'm not a fan of Stanton, but I think he needs to lift.
It's alright for him to get plenty of kicks when the midfield's on top, but when we are playing good teams he disappears, either by not getting the ball or butchering it.
And he gets beaten in the air far too easily.
And he wasn't getting tagged this week, at least not by Ling.
Depends on how many players count as our top midfielders, but I wouldn't put him in the top 3 this year (Watson, Winderlich, Lovett).

Come on, Dyson has lifted and goes for the ball himself now, time for Stanton to do the same.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.