The BEST EFC Team in the Sheedy era

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Rossoneri wrote:JJ in front of Baker? Fair enough. .
I think alot of people underrate how good JJ has been for our Club. Actually of the 3 central midfield roles, he was second picked behind only Timmy for my side. Not many midfielders had the capacity to rack up 30 odd posessions, kick goals from well outside 50 and intimidate the hell out of oponants the way JJ did at his peak (before they made it impossible for him to know what is a legal or illegal bump). JJ also has a B&F and AA selection.

Baker was sublimely skilled, but didnt have the depth of kicking, nor the intimidation factor of JJ. I like team balance and Baker would rotate with Timmy and on the wings with Long and Hawks, whilst JJ, O'donnell and Misiti rotate as the inside players feeding out.
CameronClayton wrote: Hawker was the 1st bloke playing for us I ever saw that was just as good on both sides of his body (feet & hands). Nowadays all blokes can do it, but 25-30 years ago it wasn't very common. In fact in the late 60's/early 70's, Bob Skilton was the only player I can name who could do it. So Hawks had very silky skills, but hang out on the edges too much for my liking.
Silky skills, outside player! Just what you need on the wing IMO :wink:

Actually I thinnk we are 2 of those short of a premiership contending team. Must have balance of inside and outside players. We got lots of ball carriers, but no one that can hit a forward lace out on the chest consistantly.[/quote]
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

CameronClayton wrote:
The 3 best wingers in the comp in the early to mid 80's were Merv, Dipper & Doug Hawkins. Merv usually beat Douggie, Douggie usually spanked Dipper, & Dipper usually beat Merv - work that one out.
Wayne Schimmelbusch, Robbie Flower and Mick Turner weren't bad either CC! In fact, the 80's had brilliant wingmen who loved to run, baulk, kick long and ping a goal! Ricky Barham and Geoff Ablett were no slouches either. We just don't see wingmen of their class anymore.....