Neagle

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
danstar84
Club Captain

Re: Neagle

Post by danstar84 »

Was very happy with his game. His skin folds are apparently the best they have been, and I'm sure he still has a bit to go.

Really hope he can stay injury free and have a FULL preseason for once.

I love Scotty, but he can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. Neagle needs to stay in the team, and if it as the expense of Lucas, so be it.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

tonysoprano wrote:a f****** game-plan that continues to f****** handball to players under pressure rather than kicking long to a strong marking target either in space on a lead or in a one on one at the top of the goal square.

This is getting really frustrating. On the odd occassion when they kicked it long what happened? Jay popped up and took a mark! You'd think the midfielders would give him a chance.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree. Handball, handball, handball, handball, handball, panic.
Instead, it should be handball, one more handball (at most) and then KICK LONG TO A LEADING TARGET.

Our current style reminds me a bit of the Barry Davis days, prior to Sheedy.
For those of us with long memories, Davis tried to implement the "play on at all costs" style that he had seen Barrassi use with success at North. But we didn't have the cattle to execute such a plan and it looked awful. Even in the days before we kept stats on a million different aspects of the game, Davis would claim on "World of Sports" the next day that "technically, we won the game", since we had most of the play but couldn't convert it on the scoreboard.

Anyone out there with a long memory agree with me?
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Can't remember Barry Davis turning up to 'Coaches Corner' on World of Sport too often Bill.

This was one of my great frustrations with Davis as a coach - you never saw or heard from him - primarily because we were a struggling team. However he did take over some gun players recruited by Billy Stephens (Watson, Neagle, Merret, Crow, Vander - and Madden was there from before Stephens). When he did have an opportunity to go down media street - which was few and far between in those days - he would dog it - particularly World of Sport -and send an assistant or a selector.

Sundays were sacrosanct for him evidently - must be a relo of Filthy.

In Davis' last year as coach - Sheeds was on the World of Sport panel (a year after he finished playing) and I remember thinking - I hope we do get him as coach because he was, at least, media savvy.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Great game from Neagle.

Not just his marking and reading the play, but I was also impressed with his chasing efforts. Well at least 1 where he got a good tackle.
Get fit over summer and he should be great most weeks. Having said that, he got a few kicks outside the 50, so perhaps his fitness has already improved somewhat.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.