Teams Ess vs StK

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Teams Ess vs StK

Post by Madden »

Some great players coming in for the Saints.

But tell me this. Would a team in the modern era have ever won a game where they had EIGHT changes?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Cannot recall anything as dramatic as 8 changes to any team for any reason since I have followed the game.

Must be very unsettling!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

shit... go figure that the Saints would bring everyone back in this week... still consdiering its only an initial squad of players all of them are no guarentee to line up..

Will be a massive ask but all the pressure is on the Saints on Sunday, lets hope our young guys can push them all the way. Glad to see TB back in the side.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:shit... go figure that the Saints would bring everyone back in this week... still consdiering its only an initial squad of players all of them are no guarentee to line up..

Will be a massive ask but all the pressure is on the Saints on Sunday, lets hope our young guys can push them all the way. Glad to see TB back in the side.
...Not as glad as Paddy will be Mrs M.

:wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Filthy wrote:NOTHING IN THE WORLD CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF PERSISTENCE.

TALENT WILL NOT; NOTHING IN THE WORLD IS MORE COMMON THAN UNSUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH TALENT.

GENIUS WILL NOT; UNREWARDED GENIUS IS ALMOST A PROVERB.

EDUCATION WILL NOT; THE WORLD IS FULL OF EDUCATED DERELICTS.

PERSISTENCE AND DETERMINATION ALONE ARE OMNIPOTENT.

THE SLOGAN “PRESS ON” HAS SOLVED AND ALWAYS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF THE HUMAN RACE.

WOODROW WILSON

(PRESIDENT OF THE USA 1918)
P.S. I am gay.
(Simpsons reference)
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

MH_Bomber wrote:
When I say I dont rate a lot of the St Kilda players I mean in terms of being individually champions. I am talking of the likes of ;
Gwilt, Baker, Dawson, Armitage, Dempster, Milne, Schneider, Ray, R Clarke.

Now a lot of these guys have had excellent seasons and there has been a very consistent team performance but Saint visitor, I'd be surprised if a lot of these guys will stand up in the finals or long term. I suppose what I am saying in a way is yes there are a number of A graders but also a number of what Jack Dyer would call good ordinary footballers in the St Kilda side.
In terms of frees, St Kilda is 3rd on free kicks for and 3rd last on free's against. The reverse is true of the Bombers Now I know what you are going to say - thats because you are first to the ball - blah blah blah. In 2000 Essendon won 24/25 games by an average winning margin of 50 points and was last on the free kick count.
I am just a person that has to believe we are chance in any game. I have seen a great number of games where Essendon have got up when they are not heavily favoured over the years.
Agree with you that some of the guys you've mentioned are GOP's. Blake, Raph Clarke and Gwilt for sure. I reckon you're underestimating Baker. He's a Saints B&F winner and is as hard as nails. Dawson, whilst new on the block has been better than a GOP this year. His composure and disposal have been consistently excellent all year. Armitage has only played one game. Milne and Schneider might not be champions but they'd both be in the top ten small forwards in the competition I reckon. Ray has been really solid all year.

Re the free kicks - you're dead right that being first to the ball means you get more frees. Laying more tackles than any other team helps as well. But really - anyone who lays responsibility for a team's success or failure at the feet of the umpires is kidding themselves. The rub of the green evens out in the long run. It's a bit rich to say that being 19 - 0 is the result of umpiring.
I admire your optimism. Of course the Bombers can get up this week. It's another game of footy and either side can win.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Filthy wrote:Really couldn't give a flying fart who THEy bring in. We are masters of our destiny.

When you run out to play a game of Footy you look around you and see 21 other dudes wearing different colours who have a head, 2 arms, 2 legs etc.. If you think you can't win, then go and try something else. These are the sort of games we get ourselves up for & tired guys like Davey (his FIRST full season) will get a rest plus some size and experience comes in to beef us up. Poor HH is paying a price for the Club trying to turn him into something he ain't.

But you have to be positive in this and anything else you do in life. My mantra in life has always been:

NOTHING IN THE WORLD CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF PERSISTENCE.

TALENT WILL NOT; NOTHING IN THE WORLD IS MORE COMMON THAN UNSUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH TALENT.

GENIUS WILL NOT; UNREWARDED GENIUS IS ALMOST A PROVERB.

EDUCATION WILL NOT; THE WORLD IS FULL OF EDUCATED DERELICTS.

PERSISTENCE AND DETERMINATION ALONE ARE OMNIPOTENT.

THE SLOGAN “PRESS ON” HAS SOLVED AND ALWAYS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF THE HUMAN RACE.

WOODROW WILSON

(PRESIDENT OF THE USA 1918)

See no reason to change now. :wink:

mutha f$%%^in AYE!!!!!

CARN THE BOMBERS....
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

visiting saint wrote: Agree with you that some of the guys you've mentioned are GOP's. Blake, Raph Clarke and Gwilt for sure. I reckon you're underestimating Baker. He's a Saints B&F winner and is as hard as nails. Dawson, whilst new on the block has been better than a GOP this year. His composure and disposal have been consistently excellent all year. Armitage has only played one game. Milne and Schneider might not be champions but they'd both be in the top ten small forwards in the competition I reckon. Ray has been really solid all year.

Re the free kicks - you're dead right that being first to the ball means you get more frees. Laying more tackles than any other team helps as well. But really - anyone who lays responsibility for a team's success or failure at the feet of the umpires is kidding themselves. The rub of the green evens out in the long run. It's a bit rich to say that being 19 - 0 is the result of umpiring.
I admire your optimism. Of course the Bombers can get up this week. It's another game of footy and either side can win.
This is the reason (one of) that the Saints have been so unexpectedly good this year. Their second tier is excellent. Their workman players have knitted together to form a solid platform for their stars of which they have plenty, (trolling the bottom of the ladder for years will do that..... :) )

Having said that we have nothing to lose, noone expects us to win and we showed them earlier in the year how capable we are of having a crack. We have generally gotten up for big games this year and I think this will be another one.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Final Essendon Team:

ESSENDON v ST KILDA
Essendon
B: Nathan Lovett-Murray, Tayte Pears, Jarrod Atkinson
HB: Henry Slattery, Dustin Fletcher, Adam McPhee
C: Kyle Reimers, Ricky Dyson, Mark McVeigh
HF: Bachar Houli, Michael Hurley, Angus Monfries
F: Andrew Lovett, Jay Neagle, Andrew Welsh,
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Brent Stanton, Jobe Watson
I/C: Tom Bellchambers, Courtenay Dempsey, Brent Prismall, Sam Lonergan

EMG: Cale Hooker, Alwyn Davey, Michael Quinn

In: Bellchambers, Lovett, Welsh
Out: Heath Hocking, Alwyn Davey, Michael Quinn

Final Saints Team:

St Kilda
B: Raphael Clarke, Max Hudghton, Steven Baker
HB: Sam Fisher, Zac Dawson, Sam Gilbert
C: Brendon Goddard, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leigh Montagna, Justin Koschitzke, Jason Gram
F: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Farren Ray, Luke Ball
I/C: David Armitage, Jason Blake, Sean Dempster, Steven King
Emg: James Gwilt, Jack Steven, Colm Begley

In: Baker, Gilbert, Fisher, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt
Out: Andrew McQualter (inj), Clint Jones (inj), Robert Eddy, Ben McEvoy, Colm Begley, Jarryn Geary, Jack Steven, James Gwilt
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Looking at the teams, I think we match up reasonably well in the back half against the Aints and our midfield doesn't look too shabby either if they can generate a bit of run and pressure...

That said, our forwards line doesn't look quite as strong (though I do see much potential for the future... :mrgreen: )

CARN THE BOMBERS...
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Sismis wrote:This is the reason (one of) that the Saints have been so unexpectedly good this year. Their second tier is excellent. Their workman players have knitted together to form a solid platform for their stars of which they have plenty, (trolling the bottom of the ladder for years will do that..... :) )

Having said that we have nothing to lose, noone expects us to win and we showed them earlier in the year how capable we are of having a crack. We have generally gotten up for big games this year and I think this will be another one.
Agree with you that the second tier improvement has been critical for St.Kilda this year. McQualter, Jones and Dawson in particular have exceeded expectations. A lot of Saints members, myself included had written Gardiner off so his output has been a huge bonus as well. Ray has slotted in well and Milne and Schneider have really grasped the idea of forward pressure. The all round improvement has surprised a lot of us.
Like I said previously, I don't expect the Bombers to roll over like the Dawks did with their finals chance on the line. Should be a good game.
And cheers guys for not giving me too much shyte coming onto your forum.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Breaking news (literally).....Houli has cracked his ankle at training this morning and won't be playing tomorrow. Not sure who will come back in. Most likely the out of form Davey. Jetta is apparently back in WA due to a death in the family....
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

far out you've got to be kidding me!!! he gets a game and does well and now this.... FFS

and visiting saint your welcome, we're all pretty good over here. although in saying that i will be revving my mate who is a massive saints fan up a bit pre-game haha
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Damn that sucks... :evil:

For mine, I agree with Filthy that Froggy will come back in.

He may be out of form and struggling to kick goals, but he still provides that defensive pressure up forward which is almost unmatched in the AFL apart from Rioli...
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Quinn is in.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BenDoolan wrote:Breaking news (literally).....Houli has cracked his ankle at training this morning and won't be playing tomorrow. Not sure who will come back in. Most likely the out of form Davey. Jetta is apparently back in WA due to a death in the family....
This isnt on the Bomber website yet... why would they play Quinn over Davey??
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ossie wrote:Quinn is in.
Yep but I heard that Jetta has been made an emergency?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

j-mac31 wrote:
ESSENDON v ST KILDA
Essendon
HF: Michael Quinn, Michael Hurley, Angus Monfries
F: Sam Lonergan, Jay Neagle, Andrew Welsh
I/C: Tom Bellchambers, Courtenay Dempsey, Brent Prismall, Andrew Lovett
Emg: Alwyn Davey, Cale Hooker, Leroy Jetta
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ossie wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
ESSENDON v ST KILDA
Essendon
But I was questioning that within the context of what Doolan said.
Mrs Mercuri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Breaking news (literally).....Houli has cracked his ankle at training this morning and won't be playing tomorrow. Not sure who will come back in. Most likely the out of form Davey. Jetta is apparently back in WA due to a death in the family....
This isnt on the Bomber website yet... why would they play Quinn over Davey??
Because he probably played better last week and kicked more goal.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

j-mac31 wrote:
Ossie wrote:
j-mac31 wrote: Yep but I heard that Jetta has been made an emergency?
ESSENDON v ST KILDA
Essendon
But I was questioning that within the context of what Doolan said.
Ah right I see what you mean. I hadn't heard anything about Jetta to be honest.
Good call to drop Alwyn, he's had a pretty ordinary year and Quinn has looked like he has some promise whenever I've seen him play.