Kevin Sheedy's All-Time Favorites team

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

could we slot Paul Hamilton in on the half back flank?
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Windy_Hill wrote:could we slot Paul Hamilton in on the half back flank?
Good call that, around 5 years on the list without exactly setting the world on fire.
seer
Top Up Player

Post by seer »

Ealesy, you're right with McAllister. Although he only played 6 games he was kept on list for 6 years and was drafted at # 6 by Kevin himself: "I want to be the first person to coach a Maori" (Refer Tim's book The Jigsaw Man).
Chris Daniher who played his 100th game when 30 years old (11 seasons) gets a guernsey, and Dean Bailey, a utility from North Ringwood who played 53 games in 6 seasons ) is the 20th favored one. Two favorites to go.
New Coach, New Hope
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

seer wrote:Ealesy, you're right with McAllister. Although he only played 6 games he was kept on list for 6 years and was drafted at # 6 by Kevin himself: "I want to be the first person to coach a Maori" (Refer Tim's book The Jigsaw Man).
Which is ironic as Wayne Schwass is maori (smallest I have seen). Another great move by Sheeds.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
seer
Top Up Player

Post by seer »

Windy, you're too tough on Paul Hamilton. He beat Brereton each time he played on him, something Walsh never did. Why KS continually played Walsh on Brereton is the unfathomable. In addition, Hamilton broke even with his opponent in the 90 GF, one of only three to do it. He played as a checking HFF (on Crosisca I think.)
New Coach, New Hope
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

yeah and Bolton usually tend to do a good job on Kouta and Goodes...doesn't mean he should still be on the f****** list!!

So the fact Hamilton played well on Bereton and was one of the very few players who didn't have a complete stinker of a game on Grand Final day 1990 (remembering that the 1990 Collingwood team is probably one of the worst in the history of the comp to win the Flag) doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a spot on this list.

I have to say I don't remember Paul Hamilton, in fact I don't remember too much of footy before around 92 because I was too young to take that much notice of it. I'm more arguing with your logic for claiming that Rossi is being harsh on him.

The only evidence you've used to back that up is the fact he played well on one very good player in the competition on a regular basis and at least broke even with his direct opponent in the 1990 Grand Final. Neither are that amazing feats to me.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:yeah and Bolton usually tend to do a good job on Kouta and Goodes...doesn't mean he should still be on the f****** list!!

So the fact Hamilton played well on Bereton and was one of the very few players who didn't have a complete stinker of a game on Grand Final day 1990 (remembering that the 1990 Collingwood team is probably one of the worst in the history of the comp to win the Flag) doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a spot on this list.

I have to say I don't remember Paul Hamilton, in fact I don't remember too much of footy before around 92 because I was too young to take that much notice of it. I'm more arguing with your logic for claiming that Rossi is being harsh on him.

The only evidence you've used to back that up is the fact he played well on one very good player in the competition on a regular basis and at least broke even with his direct opponent in the 1990 Grand Final. Neither are that amazing feats to me.
Paul Hamilton was an old fashioned dour defender who could mark and spoil very well. He was quick off the mark, but was an absolutely atrocious kick of the footy. He did perform well on "high profile" players that included Brereton and Ablett on occasions. For memory, he performed very well on Gary Ablett in the 1989 Qualifying Final, but when we played Geelong again in the 1989 Prelininary Final, Ablett slaughtered him. In another game Ablett kicked 5 goals in about 10 minutes on him (Ablett did that to a lot of opponents though). Hamilton played over 100 games and wasn't very fashionable, and the fact that he couldn't kick very well, made him look ordinary to a lot of supporters. But the fact that he did play in a Grand Final suggests that he wasn't a real "hack".