McPhee walks out

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Re: McPhee walks out

Post by rockhole »

As a player, I thought the good outweighed the bad, but whenever he got the pill, I used to cringe until he got rid of it. Sad to lose a big bodied, experienced player but they are next to useles if they have not got the passion for the club and prepared to play under almost any circumstances.

What concerns me most is the club's inability to manage this situation and find a comprimise. This concern surfaced in my mind with the way we handled the Lovett affair, but in hindsight, perhaps that was a blessng in disguise. We are yet in a position wereby we can dispose of key players and get f*** all for them. Something just does't seem right for an emerging team whereby two key players cannot be accomodated.

Having said that, I will be leading the attack on Smokey when we play the Shockers in Melbourne. (at least I hope we do). I cannot abide disloyalty and this is the worst case for a long time.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Good riddance.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:f*** off you leech.
poor form BD....do you think Mark Williams and Luke Ball's decisions to leave their clubs are any different to McPhee's?

Both chased better deals and in ball's case, St Kilda will get nothing in return.

Why is Smokey's decision any worse....we welcome Williams and will do the same with Ball if he comes our way.
In Ball's case, he was also told he would have limited game time next year and beyond.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I wonder whether it has anything to do with the awesome treatment he gets from his "supporters".
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

ealesy wrote:Suggests to me that McPhee reckons he only has 2-3 years left and that he had stayed with us he wouldn't be in our best 22 and would unlikely be offered another contract. If that's the case fair enough, but it says a fair bit about the bloke.
Reckon that's spot on.

Players of his ilk very rarely get new contracts when they're 29-30. This contract, whether it was with Essendon or Freo, is likely to be his last in AFL unless he mysteriously returns to his 2004 form. So say he's on $250k p.a., he can take Essendon's two year deal and make half a mil more from AFL with the likelihood that he wouldn't get a new contract at the end of 2011, or he can take Freo's three year deal and make $750k over the duration of what will very likely be his last AFL contract.

It's fair enough from his perspective. I'm not at all disappointed with him leaving, aside from the fact we got nothing for him. He was actually quite an important player for us, but that's part of the problem - he was a mediocre, senior player with no prospect of improvement performing an important role in the team. That's part of the reason why we're still a long way from being a really good team.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

f*** off. No big loss. We don't need him anymore.

Hope Melbourne pick him up. :twisted:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Mark Williams takes his role in the forward line and Pears / Hurley / Hooker take his spot in the backline. Writing was on the wall. Pity, he's been durable.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:Should have traded him 6 weeks ago if we were not going to meet his demands. Knowing Frenantle, we could have got their first round draft pick.

The only hting that smells about this affair is we lose a B&F/AA for nothing. Contract negotiations should never be done after trade week.
That's why those who look after contracts etc should get a kick in the arse....they called his bluff and lost and yet most of you think McPhee is at fault :roll:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Keep an eye out for Tyson Slattery in 2010... he could be the perfect replacement.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Selfishness imo
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

hop wrote: Let his epitaph read "Servicable but selfishness made him replaceable"
this
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Look, he can please himself. If he feels that the best thing for his personal, post-league football life is to move over to the west, than I have no issue with that. But there are certain ways of going about getting what you want, and this isn't it.

And anyway, nobody deserves any more than two years at his age, not even the great man himself. You have to wonder about his mentality in pushing for this contract extension, was he quite prepared to go join the Bendigo Circus and still be on AFL coin if he gets to 29-30 and falls in a heap after year 2?

But big deal anyway. Save for a monumental error on the part of Melbourne, his spot frees up a locker for Ball, who is looking more and more certain as this silly season rolls on.
enola
Top Up Player

Post by enola »

Well he's gone and that's a loss. We got nothing for him and thats another loss. So no good for us.
But for Freo my concern is for Harv's who I once rated as great coaching potential and thought he may one day return to the nest. But has shown a penchant in his few years for recruting old people.
There's Solly, Tarrant, Mark Johnson and now McPhee to name a few. They're not exactly bursting with youth over there and let's face it, they're not going to win a flag with McPhee so what the hell is going through is mind beyond trying to finish a few places better and get a short contract extension for himself?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

enola wrote:There's Solly, Tarrant, Mark Johnson and now McPhee to name a few. They're not exactly bursting with youth over there and let's face it, they're not going to win a flag with McPhee so what the hell is going through is mind beyond trying to finish a few places better and get a short contract extension for himself?
Might need to check a few of your facts here, i think - Freo would have one of the younger lists in the competition now, and both Tarrant and Solomon came to the club before Harvey became head coach (although he was behind the push to get them to the club when Connolly was stil head coach). However, i agree that Harvey's recruits don't make much sense - recruiting guys like Mark Johnson aged 29, Bradley and McPhee isn't going to get you anywhere.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He was a good player for a couple of year and not much in his other 5, his spot in the side was up for grabs anyway. But we all know the real reason he is leaving.
He's leaving for the extra holiday time.....

In September!
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

A few closest Richmond supporters on here! Very quick to turn on your own! [-X [-X [-X

I thought he was a good contributor for the club and he has made a decision about his future and feels he has better options elsewhere - sorry but can any of you say you wouldn't put your family and career first?

I am disappointed to see him go but I am not going to bag him out! The issue about compensation is a club/player management issue - not McPhees and perhaps he was sharp enough to see that even if he signed the 2 year deal he was going to be pushed out by the younger players coming through and would not even be in our 22 if/when we push for a flag. So he takes the best option for himself, his future and his family.

Thanks for your efforts McPhee! All the best at Freo!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Western Red wrote:A few closest Richmond supporters on here! Very quick to turn on your own! [-X [-X [-X

I thought he was a good contributor for the club and he has made a decision about his future and feels he has better options elsewhere - sorry but can any of you say you wouldn't put your family and career first?

I am disappointed to see him go but I am not going to bag him out! The issue about compensation is a club/player management issue - not McPhees and perhaps he was sharp enough to see that even if he signed the 2 year deal he was going to be pushed out by the younger players coming through and would not even be in our 22 if/when we push for a flag. So he takes the best option for himself, his future and his family.

Well said Red...it's good to see someone else can keep their perspective on this matter.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Western Red wrote:A few closest Richmond supporters on here! Very quick to turn on your own! [-X [-X [-X

What a load of frog shit. He put himself ABOVE the club and everyone in it. As players get older, their contracts get shorter. That's just the f***'n way it is. Did you ever see the likes of Lucas / Lloyd / Fletcher complain about their one year deals - or even leave to other clubs who would no doubt entice them with more? Do they not have families?

He was offered a very decent 2 year deal. What is wrong with that? He's worried that he wouldn't be able to produce the sort of form that would warrant another contract in 2011 - otherwise he would have taken the 2 years. So in effect, he believes his form will be so mediocre in 2011, that he is searching for a guaranteed 3rd year in 2012 so he could in effect be a "list clogger".

And I've kept my perspective. It's McPhee who hasn't.
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

swoodley wrote:

Well said Red...it's good to see someone else can keep their perspective on this matter.
I agree that a professional AFL player, who has a limited time span in the big league, is entitled to put family first. No problems with that.

I also believe McPhee has made a contribution to the club since he's been here, although I have been frustrated with him in recent seasons as I think he was a better player than what he gave on field. To be pushed out by youth only has a bearing on how well a player is playing.....only the other day Knights was saying Fletcher could have another three years in him. Fletcher is not about to be forced out by age because he is still playing amazing footy. So if McPhee in 2011, the last year of his proposed new EFC contract was playing good football, he would find that the club would invite him to keep playing beyond his next contract. So really the ball is in his court and I would've been extremely disappointed if EFC bent over and gave him a 3 year deal because his form during his current contract did not warrant it.

So if I can be the devil's advocate here, Freo have done what we did to intice Williams from the Dawks. We however did it during a trade period so in the end Hawthorn was compensated for this loss (it sealed the Burgoyne deal). I have no problem in giving Williams a 3 yr deal because we had a need, felt this player could address that need and we had to give the player incentive to come to us.

We don't know how long this has been cooking for. Chris Bond said on the news that Freo and McPhee's managment have been close and held a lot of discussions about recruiting this player.

Freo and Essendon have also had some history during trade time too. So it may have already been decided to do it this way for some time, to ensure the deal instead of possible red tape during the trade period with everyone getting the shits, possible interence to deal from team mates personally trying to make him stay or possible interference from other clubs...we don't know.

If this was planned prior to trade time, Then I'd be very pissed off with player McPhee as the deal would've been done knowing that EFC would not receive compensation for the loss (and I would've considered a second round pick would've been in order). If this was the case I would think its selfish on the player's part given what EFC has put into this player.

Paul Hamilton said that McPhee was not interested at staying at Windy Hill, so this situation could've very well been carefully planned.

Adam McPhee...thanks for your efforts but don't expect a pleasant return to Melbourne round 2 against us.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:
swoodley wrote:

I agree that a professional AFL player, who has a limited time span in the big league, is entitled to put family first. No problems with that.

I also believe McPhee has made a contribution to the club since he's been here, although I have been frustrated with him in recent seasons as I think he was a better player than what he gave on field. To be pushed out by youth only has a bearing on how well a player is playing.....only the other day Knights was saying Fletcher could have another three years in him. Fletcher is not about to be forced out by age because he is still playing amazing footy. So if McPhee in 2011, the last year of his proposed new EFC contract was playing good football, he would find that the club would invite him to keep playing beyond his next contract. So really the ball is in his court and I would've been extremely disappointed if EFC bent over and gave him a 3 year deal because his form during his current contract did not warrant it.

So if I can be the devil's advocate here, Freo have done what we did to intice Williams from the Dawks. We however did it during a trade period so in the end Hawthorn was compensated for this loss (it sealed the Burgoyne deal). I have no problem in giving Williams a 3 yr deal because we had a need, felt this player could address that need and we had to give the player incentive to come to us.

We don't know how long this has been cooking for. Chris Bond said on the news that Freo and McPhee's managment have been close and held a lot of discussions about recruiting this player.

Freo and Essendon have also had some history during trade time too. So it may have already been decided to do it this way for some time, to ensure the deal instead of possible red tape during the trade period with everyone getting the shits, possible interence to deal from team mates personally trying to make him stay or possible interference from other clubs...we don't know.

If this was planned prior to trade time, Then I'd be very pissed off with player McPhee as the deal would've been done knowing that EFC would not receive compensation for the loss (and I would've considered a second round pick would've been in order). If this was the case I would think its selfish on the player's part given what EFC has put into this player.

Paul Hamilton said that McPhee was not interested at staying at Windy Hill, so this situation could've very well been carefully planned.

Adam McPhee...thanks for your efforts but don't expect a pleasant return to Melbourne round 2 against us.
Gee, well said BC!

I couldn't be stuffed spending time putting a detailed reasoned response in regard to McPhee, but this is extremely well put and it has me applauding in agreement =D>
Essendunny