Essendon vs Carlton Pre - Match Discussion Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: Essendon vs Carlton Pre - Match Discussion Thread

Post by Sismis »

I understand why many have lost confidence, (though some never had it) based on the weekends performance. it was shit, but shit happens.

I honestly think we are still a decent team, we are a lot harder at it than previous years and despite the loss of Lovett we are still very quick.

Our forward line is our issue. Gumby showed some improvement last week which ws good to see, but we need someone up there to provide structure. I don't think Hille and Ryder were used up there anywhere near enough last week, they need to be resting up there and if they can't we need to bring in Laycock or one of our other talls to do it (cannot wait for next week when Hurley comes back.....). Williams just needs to snag a couple to get his confidence up and Gus, well i think the cycle of the moon will be right for Saturday night, he hates the Blues.

I think we will win, Ratten is already taking about going negative which is a good sign, they are scared.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Who says we can't dish up what we did in Round 1 first 3 quarters... one bad game and it's season over. A repeat of last week then it will be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

JumboPaddy wrote:Who says we can't dish up what we did in Round 1 first 3 quarters... one bad game and it's season over. A repeat of last week then it will be.

The Geelong game was overated - it was a bad game. We blew a 24 point lead and an 18 point lead - they won by 5 goals.

The Fremantle game was simply Awful

Will need to do a lot more than we did in both of the previous games if we are to have any chance whatsoever
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

We all view things differently Windy. I thought it was a giant leap forward in our development. I'm staying positive for now...i mean someone needs to be around here.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

JumboPaddy wrote:We all view things differently Windy. I thought it was a giant leap forward in our development. I'm staying positive for now...i mean someone needs to be around here.
Its much appreciated JP!! :D
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

JP - You are an inspiration to us all with your unwavering optimisim. I just cant be positive at the moment - its my defence mechanism kicking in. Basically I am expecting the worse so anything better than that will be a bonus
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

^ After seeing the teams I may have joined you. But I'll try maintain the positive I had before hand... still could get a surprise.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:St Kilda and the Bulldogs don't seem to have any problems playing at both grounds so imo there is no excuse for not being able to perform at both grounds regardless of the game plan.

Our problem is that we are still not mentally tough enough on a consistent basis.

Why couldn't we put the same effort into last week as we did for the first three quarters against Geelong.

That's not game plan issues...that's head space issues.

If we are switched on this week, we are a real chance....if our head's are stuck up our arse like last week, we will get smashed.
Totally agree!
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

If we are switched on, we will win. We have better depth in our list than they do. Their top 5 is far superior than ours, but over the 22 and 25, we are better (on paper)

But these guys have to start being more consistent if they want to be "respected" by the rest of the comp (and us supporters)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Rossoneri wrote:If we are switched on, we will win. We have better depth in our list than they do
This is why we have won the last 5. Our lesser players have been able to peform.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I have to say, this week, I'm interested in one thing only. I'm interested to see what happens in the last quarter. If we fade out again, that'll make three weeks in a row... and by my reckoning, that's a pattern.

I have afeeling we'll see a repeat of the last two weeks. It'll be close for 3 quarters and then we'll get steamrolled in the last term. I hope I'm wrong.. in fact, I'm begging to be wrong, but I don't see much that suggests anything otherwise. Perhaps the inclusions of Houli, Lonergan, Melsham, NLM and Colyer will give us a boost? Wishful thinking, in my opinion.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm hoping we can get out to a big enough lead so that we don't have to worry about the last quarter. Probably also wishful thinking...
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

JumboPaddy wrote:
I honestly believe we will win. This is not just another JP's over positive remarks, I've got this feeling in my guts we will win...something I didn't have the past 2 weeks. Same feeling I had against the Saints last year. We'll see if I don't myself look like an arse this time :wink:
Didn't expect it to be like that but still...a win :) my guts tell me we will win next week too...just putting it on the record 2/2 so far. Congrats to others who picked us too and no this isn't a statement to say to those of you who didn't think we'd win are idiots...just like a good chance to say I told you so :) I was 90% confident. Onto next week :)