Typical - Blame the CoachAgain zzzzzz

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Re: Typical - Blame the CoachAgain zzzzzz

Post by Boyler_Room »

billyduckworth wrote:Funnily enough, I thought Slattery did alright in the middle in the last quarter. Maybe he could have a run there, where there is less pressure on him and maybe even have a crack at tagging.

I noticed that too. Maybe it was just because the sting had gone out of the game, or maybe he is really better suited to tagging? Maybe we could try Slatts in the middle as a tagger, McVeigh back to the back pocket and piss off Welsh altogether.
It's possible that Slattery (who I once thought had a tagging role in the middle for a short stint) could have a run in the middle where his mistakes would be less costly. If we absolutely must play him, as the coaching staff seem to think we must, then play him somewhere that his mistakes won't be as costly... like they are in front of the opposing goals.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I watched the second half of Adelaide's game and thought I was watching Essendon. Ridiculous handballing in defence, putting team mates under pressure, lack of endeavour to pressure their opponent, and shithouse kicking for goal. What's their game plan? Are they copying us?

I am watching Hawthorn tonight and thought I was watching Essendon. Unbelievable kamikaze handballing into trouble in their defensive 50, sloppy skills all over the ground, and shithouse kicking for goal. What's their game plan?

It's funny watching other teams stuff it up just as much as we do, but no-one questions their game plan.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:I watched the second half of Adelaide's game and thought I was watching Essendon. Ridiculous handballing in defence, putting team mates under pressure, lack of endeavour to pressure their opponent, and shithouse kicking for goal. What's their game plan? Are they copying us?

I am watching Hawthorn tonight and thought I was watching Essendon. Unbelievable kamikaze handballing into trouble in their defensive 50, sloppy skills all over the ground, and shithouse kicking for goal. What's their game plan?

It's funny watching other teams stuff it up just as much as we do, but no-one questions their game plan.
I saw about half of the Adelaide game and thought exactly the same thing. But why would we question their game plans - I'm quite happy if other clubs play shite football, less happy (much less!) when we do. I thought it illustrated perfectly why we shouldn't be doing what Adelaide and (apparently) the Hawks were / are doing today.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

BenDoolan wrote:I watched the second half of Adelaide's game and thought I was watching Essendon. Ridiculous handballing in defence, putting team mates under pressure, lack of endeavour to pressure their opponent, and shithouse kicking for goal. What's their game plan? Are they copying us?

Agree BD Also saw the same thing in the Bulldogs / Brisbane game. The dogs are renown for their silky skills & in the quarter that I saw they turned the ball over, missed targets that resulted in 2 - 3 goals to Brisbane.

Goes to show, no matter what side you are, turnovers will kill you & bad kicking for goal ......well it gives your opponent a free kick to set up an attack not to mention the demoralising effect on your teammates. The coach can't dispose of the ball for the players , they MUST accept responsibility.

When (if) we overcome this problem i believe things will turn around as we are doing ok in getting possession.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Poor kicking is poor football. Hit some targets and we will be fine.

And a lack of discipline last night did not help at all. Gave up 29 free kicks to 16, and I reckon at least 26 were there.
Poor discipline + poor skills = certain failure!!!!!!!!!!!
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Actually, living in Adelaide, I'm hearing non-stop calls for Craig to go. The game plan and the poor skills are the reason. They think that the team is stale and that they need a change from top to bottom. The rest of the AFL has worked out how they play and they know how to destroy them.

I saw Adelaide play in the pre-season with a near strength lineup. They were sloppy skill-wise and looked like half the team they used to be... although they still have all the same players. 4 weeks into the season proper and they look just as sloppy as they did pre-season. The handball-heavy game plan that everyone seems to be adopting is ruining the spectacle of the game and making teams look average. We are obviously included in that.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:

Actually, living in Adelaide, I'm hearing non-stop calls for Craig to go. The game plan and the poor skills are the reason. They think that the team is stale and that they need a change from top to bottom. The rest of the AFL has worked out how they play and they know how to destroy them.

I saw Adelaide play in the pre-season with a near strength lineup. They were sloppy skill-wise and looked like half the team they used to be... although they still have all the same players. 4 weeks into the season proper and they look just as sloppy as they did pre-season. The handball-heavy game plan that everyone seems to be adopting is ruining the spectacle of the game and making teams look average. We are obviously included in that.
Yet they finished 5th last year (higher than most expected) and played off in a semi-final where they lost by less than a kick. 4 games later and they want their coach sacked and their gameplan sucks. But as you say, it's the sloppy skills that's causing the problem. Turnovers kill you. The game is turning into the team that executes the least mistakes - wins.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I'm with Stryper, I think our gameplan is headed in the right direction, it is simply our execution and our forward line that is killing us.

With the exception of the West Coast game we have done well in the middle, winning the contested ball and putting on some excellent defensive pressure. This is a big step forward from the previous years.

Our forward line is basically non-functional ATM and the reason is very bloody simple our KPP have less than 20 games between them. The only way this is going to change is to give them time. Having Lloyd play for another year would only have meant less games into our developing forward line.

Knights is doing the right thing, he is sacrificing some short term success for our future devlopment. He has the courage to do the right thing for the club's future to build towards the next flag.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Sismis wrote:I'm with Stryper, I think our gameplan is headed in the right direction, it is simply our execution and our forward line that is killing us.

With the exception of the West Coast game we have done well in the middle, winning the contested ball and putting on some excellent defensive pressure. This is a big step forward from the previous years.

Our forward line is basically non-functional ATM and the reason is very bloody simple our KPP have less than 20 games between them. The only way this is going to change is to give them time. Having Lloyd play for another year would only have meant less games into our developing forward line.

Knights is doing the right thing, he is sacrificing some short term success for our future devlopment. He has the courage to do the right thing for the club's future to build towards the next flag.
our forward line isn't functioning because our midfield cannot get them the ball. Williams would be averaging 3-5 goals a game at Geelong. Good luck timing a lead with with the number of handballs and skill errors our midfield makes.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

gringo wrote:
Sismis wrote:I'm with Stryper, I think our gameplan is headed in the right direction, it is simply our execution and our forward line that is killing us.

our forward line isn't functioning because our midfield cannot get them the ball. Williams would be averaging 3-5 goals a game at Geelong. Good luck timing a lead with with the number of handballs and skill errors our midfield makes.
The simple fact is that we very rarely have a forward line. They're all too busy pushing up the ground to complement our 'running' game. If the other team turns the ball over, we break the lines but have no carnt to kick to (Reimers on the weekend finally showed how bad the problem is). I find it funny that when the opposite happens, our opposition easily find targets up forward, usually on their own. Our whole team is often stuck between both 50m arcs. How bout we try going back to basics and actually play a bloke out of the square, and make sure we have at least one or two defenders planted in the defensive 50 when the ball has been cleared?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

How many games of football do you guys watch? The situation Reimers was in happens to every team every week. That is the way footy is played now.

In the WC game it is true, for one quarter our forwards were not getting the ball. In the third and final quarters they had more than enough opportunities they simply did not make enough of them.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Sismis wrote:How many games of football do you guys watch? The situation Reimers was in happens to every team every week. That is the way footy is played now.

In the WC game it is true, for one quarter our forwards were not getting the ball. In the third and final quarters they had more than enough opportunities they simply did not make enough of them.
I watch nearly every game... Over and over and over again, this shit is happening to us. Our boys in the middle look up, and have nothing to kick to. Our full forward could be anywhere, a lot of the time they are 40-50m out, and very rarely down the guts. All of our forwards are pushing up, we have f*** all in the forward 50 most of the time. How do you expect our midfileders, or even half forwards, to know where the full forward line is going to lead? At least if there is someone moderately close to the goal square, they can lead straight at the player with the ball, or to their advantage. Our forwards are running all over the joint - backwards, sideways - if they were set in their positions, they would be able to time their leads and our midfielders could put it in the right spot. What is the use of our forwards being up around the 50m mark if we are running the ball quickly through the middle? We look up and all we can do is a shitty little chip kick, or a handball. We have to have a tall close to goal for the long option if there is nothing else on. It's not farken rocket surgery :shock:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

This hurts to say, but i think we are actually agreeing. It is the forward line where we are falling down.

I was just pointing out that having noone in the forward 50 is not an unusual occurance.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:
gringo wrote:

The simple fact is that we very rarely have a forward line. They're all too busy pushing up the ground to complement our 'running' game. If the other team turns the ball over, we break the lines but have no carnt to kick to (Reimers on the weekend finally showed how bad the problem is). I find it funny that when the opposite happens, our opposition easily find targets up forward, usually on their own. Our whole team is often stuck between both 50m arcs. How bout we try going back to basics and actually play a bloke out of the square, and make sure we have at least one or two defenders planted in the defensive 50 when the ball has been cleared?
Bloody oath!
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Try being a PERTH Supporter like MOI Strpe.Our CULTURE over here DEMANDS we BLAME the Coach.

ANDREW JARMAN's the one in the GUN at 0 -4 right now. #-o
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

stryper wrote:I have an idea.
Everybody who wants Knights gone - Please put your hand up...
Ok - now line up 1 by 1 and Here is your chance to be the coach...
Do a better job or Not so that we can bag the shit out of you too... lol
Patience my friends is what is needed... PATIENCE = Success... :wink:

I tell you what, I'll take it. Coudnt do any ******* worse, and I could use the money.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

robbie67 wrote:

I tell you what, I'll take it. Coudnt do any ******* worse, and I could use the money.
Robbie - you would do 1000x better than that useless f****** excuse for a coach. So would I.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tonysoprano wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Robbie - you would do 1000x better than that useless f****** excuse for a coach. So would I.
The backing of the mob would scare the team into playing well.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.