Fletch staring at a suspension

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: Fletch staring at a suspension

Post by Gyoza »

Really angry about this. Went away for the weekend and didn't even have this on my mind at all. Sit down to watch One Week At A Time tonight and have to listen to the Essendon hating ******** talk about Fletcher's deserved suspension. :shock:

Then they follow this up with how strongly they disagree with Lloyd rating Fletcher ahead of Silvangi and Scarlett, saying he is behind both of them. Arseholes.

f****** disgrace that we head to Sydney without Fletch.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

They should appeal, and he will get off. A freeze frame shows first contact right on his Halls knee, and slipped down.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I've been applauding the MRP for their "common sense" of late, but how can they come up with a no suspension for Barry Hall who nearly strangled Scott Thompson to death (despite his previous HORRENDOUSLY BAD record) but come up with a one week suspension for a trip by hand for Fletcher?

Piss off.
This :evil:
Thompson deserved to be floored for his action. Gutless little f****** prick, bet if he knew Barry could have a fair swing he'd be at the other end of the ground sitting at the top of the grand stand. I applaud the MRP for that decision.

As for this one, well the hysteria on here amuses me a little. Fletch tripped him. Plain and simple. It's against the rules so bye bye. So far nobody has actually offered evidence as to the "hundreds" that they've seen that have been missed. Yes the Dawks bloke got off but so did Fletch back in '07. If they challenge it and he gets off thats great but if he gets one week well then fair enough.

You've never been able to deliberately trip a bloke. Ever. It's also made worse by the fact Fletch was clearly beaten and Hall was running into an open goal, tripping rules were brought in to stop that shit. Think back to Bewick in '93 when he was face planted running into goal in the PF. The rule was brought in to stop the "professional" free kicks which if we think for a minute is the exact case of what Fletch did.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

This "incident" had the radio commentators carrying on like chooks in a hail storm.... not surprised he was cited (especially as there have been a few MRP decisions go our way).

Given the minimal discount for any unsuccessful appeal, may as well go for it.

Cheers - Sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

You can climb up a guy's back with your knees digging into his kidneys and connecting violently with his head to implement one of the games great spectacles - the high mark - and get nothing but acclam from all and sundry.

Yet, you dare tap a guy on the ankle with an innocuous grab with the hand - an act that a worst may give the opponent a slight itch to the ankle and what do you get - a week off and the blight of being an evil tripper

If the rules are about protecting the safety of the players then this is a joke?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

And the way that idiots like bearded clam and mike shee(s)han carried on about how it 'might' cause serious injury to a player...the above described mark is more likely to put a bloke in hospital than a tap just below the knee...

He should contest and state that he was attempting to go for the upper thigh, but that Hall had got to far and there was nothing else he could do once committed to the action...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The club is appealing the decision - from bomberland.com.au:

Essendon will contest a tripping charge against veteran Dustin Fletcher at the tribunal tonight.

The 35-year-old was given a one-match ban - which cannot be reduced with an early plea - after the Match Review Panel reviewed matches from the weekend.

General manager of football operations Paul Hamilton said the club would argue that Fletcher's tackling action was 'negligent' rather than 'intentional'.

"We believe Dustin was chasing Barry Hall and lunged to tackle him as he ran into goal and was not deliberately trying to trip him," Hamilton said.

"We will argue that this tackling action was negligent and deserved a free kick - which was awarded by the umpire - but was not intentional."

Knights told media this morning that the club would do its best to allow Dustin to play.

"All will be born out this evening and what will be will be, but we will give it our best shot because he has been in good form and we would really love to take him up to Sydney," Knights said.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Can he get two weeks if the appeal fails??
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Nope, was only just worthy of a suspension at the current points level of 103.something, it only gets raised by 25% if the challenge fails.

If they have a good enough QC acting on Fletch behalf they should be able to get it downgraded to negligent, but I won't hold my breath.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Anyone who doesn't think tripping is serious should think what the game would be like without the threat of report.

ie. professional free kicks.

fletchers best case is to get the charge downgraded from intentional to reckless. Which you might be able to argue giving it looked like he was initially trying to tackle rather than trip.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I've been applauding the MRP for their "common sense" of late, but how can they come up with a no suspension for Barry Hall who nearly strangled Scott Thompson to death (despite his previous HORRENDOUSLY BAD record) but come up with a one week suspension for a trip by hand for Fletcher?

Piss off.
This :evil:
Thompson deserved to be floored for his action. Gutless little f****** prick, bet if he knew Barry could have a fair swing he'd be at the other end of the ground sitting at the top of the grand stand. I applaud the MRP for that decision.

As for this one, well the hysteria on here amuses me a little. Fletch tripped him. Plain and simple. It's against the rules so bye bye.
I've just checked the rule book and I cannot see anywhere where a player is allowed to put an opponent in a headlock.... :wink:

You cannot have a situation where a guy is let off after executing a deliberate headlock on an opponent (and with having a previous record of bashing players skulls in), and a guy who is suspended for one week for an accidental trip by hand.
Essendunny
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

he didnt get off.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

nathanskinner wrote:he didnt get off.
that sucks...... :(

At least it happened this week and not against the Cats!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Filthy wrote:This :evil:

As for this one, well the hysteria on here amuses me a little. Fletch tripped him. Plain and simple. It's against the rules so bye bye.
I've just checked the rule book and I cannot see anywhere where a player is allowed to put an opponent in a headlock.... :wink:

You cannot have a situation where a guy is let off after executing a deliberate headlock on an opponent (and with having a previous record of bashing players skulls in), and a guy who is suspended for one week for an accidental trip by hand.
Did you find a part that said that a player IS NOT allowed to put an opponent in a headlock? :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote: Did you find a part that said that a player IS NOT allowed to put an opponent in a headlock? :lol:
Ah, yes......that's where I got it wrong! #-o
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
swoodley wrote: Did you find a part that said that a player IS NOT allowed to put an opponent in a headlock? :lol:
Always check the fine print BD :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Always check the fine print BD :lol:
I think Fletcher better change his tactics! Better to put his opponents in a headlock than to trip them up! :P
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:

I'd rather have Fletcher available for a road trip than a home game. he will be missed this sunday. hopefully our defense holds up.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

little_ripper wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:

I'd rather have Fletcher available for a road trip than a home game. he will be missed this sunday. hopefully our defense holds up.
I was thinking the same thing. We're a real show this week if we actually turn up. The Cats will be a much tougher contest. Could be two losses without Fletch this week, instead of perhaps going 1-1?
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant