Looks like we're moving base...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Re: Looks like we're moving base...

Post by Rover 7 »

grassy1 wrote:Why should the BOWLS and CROQUET Club be BULLIED into moving/They've been here for over 100 years.

Sounds like we want to Have our Cake and Eat it too and to me,it's a case of the FOOTBALL CLUB SPITTING THE DUMMY and SNATCHING OUR RENT.

The 2 Head figures at the Bowling Club are LIFE EMBERS of the Football Club r at least RON HARE is.I thik they've been above board in this and with their members,whilst we've looked CLANDESTINE and SNEAKY.
Dunno about clandestine and sneaky but the Bowling buddies are stretching things a tweensy bit with their 100 year claim.
Have a look at Google earth.There you'll see that since leaving to play at the MCG in 1992 they've managed to Bowl their way all along the outer wing.Complete with Clubhouse.
Right over some prime viewing and drinking spots.Many a wet day spent there.
Take the two extra rinks back then see if they want to stay put with the one they started with.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

By choosing Matthew Knights as coach and not Mark Thompson, the Bombers attempted to put a line between the factionalism which had haunted Essendon and begun to erode it in Sheedy's final years.
I dont remember the club choosing Knights over Thompson, nor do I recall Thompson ever wanting to leave Geelong while they were the best team in the competition.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Gawd if we need training facilities/techological edge to attract A grade players from other clubs (hmmm ... suspect ability to do 3rd party deals more important - Judd etc)...

Given a choice between Ess Airport or Tulla ... I'd suggest Tracey Island (from Thunderbirds). State of the art, Daquaries on tap (but only for the members) and Brains surely could whip up some gizmo that gives us the edge.

Cheers - STI

PS - whatever the outcome - I'd want it to be close to the current venue so me and the kids can keep connected and would like access through public transport.

PPS - has anyone thought of retaining the current facilities but constructing and leasing a MCG/Subi oval within walking/cycling distance? Cross Keys reserve would be ideal.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nathanskinner wrote:
By choosing Matthew Knights as coach and not Mark Thompson, the Bombers attempted to put a line between the factionalism which had haunted Essendon and begun to erode it in Sheedy's final years.
I dont remember the club choosing Knights over Thompson, nor do I recall Thompson ever wanting to leave Geelong while they were the best team in the competition.
Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I think Bomber told them to not bother him.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I think the choice was choosing not to make that choice.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Rover 7 wrote:Take the two extra rinks back then see if they want to stay put with the one they started with.
It seems that they have already commandeered the old green.

Back in the good old days. Two greens (if this is accurate, I stand to be corrected) but smaller than the two that they currently have (plus clubrooms)

When Essendon moved to the 'G, somebody (club or council) built a swimming pool on that corner and the bowling club got two extra greens. You'd notice that one of the old greens was still there.

When they tore down the Showers Stand (may the old girl rest in peace) they built another swimming pool and gym on that corner. They took back the last remaining green from the VFL days.
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.751923,1 ... d=20100416

Net result, back to 2 greens, but for some reason the bowling club was willing to give one back only three years ago.

God willing, the future.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

That's an interesting drawing.Looks like a proposal from the 60's.
The northern side "spectator amenities" area never eventuated.appears they might have been trying to get the crokey or is that crocqet club out.
They stayed.
So in all that time the only one to depart has been the Tennis Club [where the Social Club and carpark now is] and that was a long time ago.
The club has been a soft touch by the look of it.
Maybe they should call everyone's bluff and leave them all to battle on their own.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Expressions of Interest from landholders interested in providing us with a place called for.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7526
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I have this nagging feeling that the Essendon Admin are playing some games here. We all know they are after Govt money to help build the dream training amenity. Hardly looks good to be bullying poor old folk from the Lawn Bowls club. On the other hand, accepting that a move saves the Bowls club may just win some sympathy from the Government, thus facilitaing a generous grant.

I reckon the Bombers probably want to move as it may be a lot simpler building a purpose built facility to their own specifications rather than trying to adapt the old and dilapidated Windy Hill set up. The bowls club is probably helping their cause
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

You going to change your name if we move Windy?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:You going to change your name if we move Windy?

Show_Ground doesnt have quite the same ring to it does it :(
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

j-mac31 wrote:You going to change your name if we move Windy?
I wonder if I should change mine to DC-9 :?: :wink:
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

If we were to move base is there anything that stops us later down the track of banging on say a couple of 15K stands to give us 30K with another 10K standing room so we could play mobs like Freo and Port and co. at a true "home ground?"
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

boncer34 wrote:If we were to move base is there anything that stops us later down the track of banging on say a couple of 15K stands to give us 30K with another 10K standing room so we could play mobs like Freo and Port and co. at a true "home ground?"
It would be logical, especially at the Showgrounds.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

dom_105 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:If we were to move base is there anything that stops us later down the track of banging on say a couple of 15K stands to give us 30K with another 10K standing room so we could play mobs like Freo and Port and co. at a true "home ground?"
The other thing is Dom the Roos and co. are crying for a ground to do the same thing against inter staters. Fair bit of coin to be made from it if we did it.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Pretty good idea. Maybe we should just make it 50k all up and not make it too small like the bubble stadium.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

boncer34 wrote:
dom_105 wrote:
The other thing is Dom the Roos and co. are crying for a ground to do the same thing against inter staters. Fair bit of coin to be made from it if we did it.
I've always been of the belief that we need a third stadium in this city, at least until the AFL take back control of the Dome. I've been a broken record on this issue, but the worst decision the AFL have made in the last 30 years was selling Waverley Park. Worse than Eddleston and the bad news Bears combined.

We are now in a situation where clubs like Geelong can make a killing off 20k at Kardinia Park, and grassroots leagues like the EFL can make a killing off 10k at a Grand Final, but it it takes 32k for clubs to turn a profit at the Dome. The clubs need an option that would free them from the leeches like Spotless, Ticketmaster and Collo, especially against the Gold Coast, West Sydney, Freo and Port.

A ground at the Showgrounds gives those clubs the chance to make a bit of coin, and gives us protection against Collo if he decides to pull a shifty on us.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

boncer34 wrote:
dom_105 wrote:
Indeed a good idea, but probably more so letting North and Footscray using it than us, we rarely have a crowd under 30k, even for twilight games.