Do we want Greg Inglis?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Do we want Greg Inglis?

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:Inglis was on the news in Sydney, stating No to AFL.
Must have had a change of heart if he met with the Dons today..
saladin
Regular Senior Player

Post by saladin »

don't want him. throw a million bucks at a real gun footballer if they want to buy a better side.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:Inglis was on the news in Sydney, stating No to AFL.
Must have had a change of heart if he met with the Dons today..
yes but he said he wants to stay with NRL playing for the storm but if he is given the arse then he would play AFL because he wants to stay in Melbourne. not the most inspirational base to start on... i guess time will tell

my main question is where would he play?? FF or CHF? Hurley and Gumby take up those spots we can't have 3 talls down there, nor can we have him in the event Hurley needs to go down back because well we wont be planning for that, plus we have Ryder and Hille rotating through there aswell

money much better spent somewhere else i say, i thought we are after a A-grade mid??? what happened to that actually good idea?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

saladin wrote:don't want him. throw a million bucks at a real gun footballer if they want to buy a better side.
THIS times a million.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Inglis is a brilliant athlete and also clever footy player. We'd be silly not to give him some thought. I doubt we'll snag him though. I think he's destined for the Broncos.
Bombers till' I die
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Think you all fail to realise that we wouldn't be paying all of his wage.. The AFL would use him to promote the game, and chip in a big chunk of his wage.. If we paid 250-350k a year, I would give my left nut to get him.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The Man from Bomberland wrote:Inglis is a brilliant athlete and also clever footy player. We'd be silly not to give him some thought. I doubt we'll snag him though. I think he's destined for the Broncos.
Massive difference between clever rugby league player and clever AFL player. Rugby league everyone's lined up and you just wait for an opening.
I'm not saying he won't make it in the AFL, but it's far from certain that he will.
Gimps wrote:Think you all fail to realise that we wouldn't be paying all of his wage.. The AFL would use him to promote the game, and chip in a big chunk of his wage.. If we paid 250-350k a year, I would give my left nut to get him.
The AFL won't pay him marketing money to come to Essendon. We have supporters, we don't need to try to buy them.

Our talls are fine. As someone mentioned above, if we're splashing around the big bucks, get an A-Grade midfielder.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
saladin
Regular Senior Player

Post by saladin »

Gimps wrote:Think you all fail to realise that we wouldn't be paying all of his wage.. The AFL would use him to promote the game, and chip in a big chunk of his wage.. If we paid 250-350k a year, I would give my left nut to get him.

i wouldn't bet on it. the AFL will sink money into such ventures for GC and WS, but i'd be surprised if they gave us a cent. hearts and minds in the melbourne market are already clearly won.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

But, he can still promote the game in NSW and Qld, and as an indigenous player.. Forgot to mention, what we pay him would be outside of the salary cap too, as he is coming from another sport...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Gimps wrote:But, he can still promote the game in NSW and Qld, and as an indigenous player.
What, 2-3 times a year during the season and perhaps for a week during "community camp"?

They'd be better off giving money to Aboriginal guys living there - Goodes and Lewis Jetta for example.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

To me, its a little bit like the Irish players - some of these guys are phenomonal atheletes, but at the end of the day, you cannot learn the subtleties of the game overnight. James HIrd did what he did not because he was a powerhouse athlete. He had an ability to think about the games three steps ahead of everyone else - thats why he was so damned good.

I think the league guys will be best in defensive positions where they can run in a straight line towards their own goal and play off their opponent rather than in a creative mid-field or forward line role where they would have to make the 'running'

I doubt these league players will be better than an average AFL player - of course you will get the odd freak who will make the transition but I can almost guarantee that more will fail than succeed.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Not all of them will work, but why not give them a go? If we compare the NRL players with the Irish, what about Jim Stynes Windy??
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Not all of them will work, but why not give them a go? If we compare the NRL players with the Irish, what about Jim Stynes Windy??

I am sure you will get one or two League players who could do a Stynes. Difference being that the Irish boys cost nothing - so nothing lost if the experiment fails

If the AFL subsidises the recruitment of Inglis as they have for Hunt and Folau then ok, but if we spend stupid money from our salary cap then I say not worth the risk.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Gimps wrote:Not all of them will work, but why not give them a go? If we compare the NRL players with the Irish, what about Jim Stynes Windy??

I am sure you will get one or two League players who could do a Stynes. Difference being that the Irish boys cost nothing - so nothing lost if the experiment fails

If the AFL subsidises the recruitment of Inglis as they have for Hunt and Folau then ok, but if we spend stupid money from our salary cap then I say not worth the risk.
To repeat myself again, no money paid to Inglis would come out of our salary cap! We would just be making a withdrawel from our bank account..
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

I don't get what you're talking about at all here Gimps.
If we pay him, it comes out of our salary cap. How is that not the case?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Gimps is right. There's talk of the AFL footing a fair slab of the bill to get Inglis into an AFL jumper. We'd be mad not to take up the opportunity if it arose IMHO... He's really taken a shining to our city eh...

:shock:
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

In terms of the AFL paying part of his salary, sure, I understand that.
But the statement that "no money paid to Inglis would come out of our salary cap* is surely incorrect.

Why would whatever we did pay him directly not fall within the salary cap?
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

My understanding after reading something from the AFL yesterday..a marketing bloke, now there's a reliable source...is that the AFL would be very interested in using an Inglis type to market the game thru aboriginal communities in NSW & QLD, where NRL is strong. EFC would pay an amount under the cap, and the AFL would pay everything else.

1 spot on the list, for something like that. No brainer for me. Get the bloke.
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Bang on F-111..

Also..

Apparently there is a rule/clause within the AFL where if you bring a player in from another sport, you don't have to pay them under the salary cap (thought this was the way it worked, and it was discussed/confirmed on SEN today - let's hope I, and SEN have received the right information). I'm not sure if it is the first year, or the length of the first contract.. As well as this, we don't have to give up draft picks or trade for these players. So, if getting one of these blokes isn't going to affect our salary cap, why the f*** wouldn't you have a crack at it?

Bring in Inglis as a project player, and still chase a Boak, Dangerfield etc. Sounds like a good set up to me.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

The Man from Bomberland wrote:Inglis is a brilliant athlete and also clever footy player. We'd be silly not to give him some thought. I doubt we'll snag him though. I think he's destined for the Broncos.
You think everyone is destined for the Broncos. :lol: We tried propping you up by giving you Folau and you did a great job with him.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.