2 F***ING YEARS RUNNING: 25vs 22

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: 2 F***ING YEARS RUNNING: 25vs 22

Post by BenDoolan »

I just watched the entire game again and discovered out of the 7 goals they kicked from free kicks, only 2 of them were dubious. The one against Hardingham was wrong and the one Bevan got in the 3rd quarter was lucky - where Hooker "sort of" grabbed him in marking contest. The other 5 free kicks were blatantly there.

We kicked 3 goals from free kicks - all in the 1st quarter - Winderlich, Hurley and Jetta. Hurley missed a goal in the 3rd quarter from a free kick. Apart from Stanton's push in the back in the last quarter, I didn't see any other infringement that warranted a free kick in our forward line.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:I just watched the entire game again and discovered out of the 7 goals they kicked from free kicks, only 2 of them were dubious. The one against Hardingham was wrong and the one Bevan got in the 3rd quarter was lucky - where Hooker "sort of" grabbed him in marking contest. The other 5 free kicks were blatantly there.

We kicked 3 goals from free kicks - all in the 1st quarter - Winderlich, Hurley and Jetta. Hurley missed a goal in the 3rd quarter from a free kick. Apart from Stanton's push in the back in the last quarter, I didn't see any other infringement that warranted a free kick in our forward line.
And what did the Hardingham shocker do to the score for the swans?

And what did the Stanton non-decision not do for us on the scoreboard?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Hurley was being held onto in the forward line all day.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I just watched the entire game again and discovered out of the 7 goals they kicked from free kicks, only 2 of them were dubious. The one against Hardingham was wrong and the one Bevan got in the 3rd quarter was lucky - where Hooker "sort of" grabbed him in marking contest. The other 5 free kicks were blatantly there.

And what did the Hardingham shocker do to the score for the swans?

And what did the Stanton non-decision not do for us on the scoreboard?
BD, we gotta stop this mentality that the umpires are out to get us everytime we lose. There were many instances during the game where our guys just made far worse errors than the umpires did - and that cost us dearly on the scoreboard as well.

Jobe Watson marks a ball 30 metres of from goal during the 3rd quarter and had the opportunity to put us 4 goals up - but misses a sitter. Ryder had a similar opportunity on the quarter time siren but fluffed his kick. Hurley kicked 4 behinds. There was a passage of play where Davey handpassed to a running Winderlich and all he had to do was gather the ball and chip the ball over to a loose player in the F50 and we would have had a goal. Instead he fumbled and the Swans took it away and scored at the other end.

If we are just hanging our hats on 2 poor decisions in the last quarter for the reasons for our loss, then we are kidding ourselves.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

You forgot

1) Hurley in the last quarter where the Sydney player had his arm over his shoulder, then Mattner cannoned into his back
2) Lonergan in the last quarter when Grundy took him out without touching the ball
3) Ryder in the last quarter near the goal square where Mattner (?) had pinned his arm.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Do you think that Hirdy's run in with Princess McLaren all those years ago would temper his willingness to comment on umpiring.

"In 2004, McLaren ended up at the centre of a controversy when, on The Footy Show, Essendon captain James Hird criticised the umpiring in the Round 2, 2004 game. He singled out McLaren as one of the umpires who made poor decisions, labelling him "disgraceful". Hird was later fined A$20,000 for his comments."

If you recall, Hirdy played an absolute blinder the following week against the Eagles getting 16 possessions in the last quarter and winning the game off his own boot.(and hugged the bloke on the boundary line). Even Walls commented that it was one of the most complete games he had seen from anyone,'

Brownlow Votes from the umpires - Nil
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

little_ripper wrote:hahah

funny dear thread.

fwiw i still think by season end hird will have this side good enough to win anywhere.

luck plays no part in collingwoods wins. thats where we need to get too.

Here here. Losing is disappointing but its not the point right now. Right now is all about developing a team for the future. The lessons learned against Sydney will be more valuable, more accentuated because we DID lose. Had we won, it may have covered up the flaw of letting 4-5 goal leads evapourate twice in a game
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The umpiring had an effect but it didnt cost us the game. I think that poor kicking for goal really cost us the game. When we were right on top early we did not make the most of our opportunities.

Believe it or not , Bomber brothers and sisters, my partner is a Swannie supporter and he claims that they werent getting a fair deal.

My philosophy is that that it was an honourable loss. We've been 'up' for a long time and a little reality check as to our abilities will not hurt, at this stage.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

MH_Bomber wrote:We've been 'up' for a long time and a little reality check as to our abilities will not hurt, at this stage.
i don't consider a few weeks of NAB cap and round 1 a "long time" to be up and actually i think we are still up, despite the loss, we played well apart from a few goals that should have been slotted.... this week against the Saints will tell us if we are "up" or "down" as i don't see this week being a close game, we'll either get belted or dish out the belting i think
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

FWIW I didn't think Stanton deserved a free kick at the end.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

j-mac31 wrote:FWIW I didn't think Stanton deserved a free kick at the end.
yeah he didn't.

neither did bolton at the other end though.

game should have been a draw as it was an even affair, we lucked out(not surprising as the away side) and were the loser.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Giesh has come out and said both decisions were right and maybe they were but the only reason the Hardingham one was right is cause they had a replay that showed the ball bobble about 5cm before he got the fist to it, no way could the umpire see this at real speed, 99/100 this would be called play on, very unlucky for that to happen.... im still crying foul but time to move on and if we make finals then we'll know we made it the hard way and might surprise, and if we miss out on the finals by 2-4 points then i'll be pissed again
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:

You forgot

1) Hurley in the last quarter where the Sydney player had his arm over his shoulder, then Mattner cannoned into his back
2) Lonergan in the last quarter when Grundy took him out without touching the ball
3) Ryder in the last quarter near the goal square where Mattner (?) had pinned his arm.
I have to admit, I had to watch the last quarter again (for the third time in total), to see what you're talking about.

1) The free for "over the shoulder" was a maybe at best. The cannon into the back was just play on. It was accidental contact and it was after the initial contest.

2) Had to really look hard for that one, and after a few rewinds, the free kick was probably there.

3) Well at the time, I thought it was magnificent play by Ryder. It reminded me of Paul Salmon circa 1984. He was hampered in the marking contest so just used his rucking skills to palm the ball sideways to Hurley who kicked a great goal. So a free kick not being paid made no difference as we scored a goal anyway. But that was great stuff from Ryder.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:1) The free for "over the shoulder" was a maybe at best. The cannon into the back was just play on. It was accidental contact and it was after the initial contest.
Regardless of whether it was accidental or not, it was over the shoulder and the cannon into the back was still in the back. I don't think we intentionally gave away 30 free kicks.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:1) The free for "over the shoulder" was a maybe at best. The cannon into the back was just play on. It was accidental contact and it was after the initial contest.
Regardless of whether it was accidental or not, it was over the shoulder and the cannon into the back was still in the back. I don't think we intentionally gave away 30 free kicks.
I'm not saying the over the shoulder was accidental contact, I'm saying it was a "maybe" free kick. Not much in it at all. The "in the back" wasn't there. Hurley was collected by Mattner's hip (which was accidental contact) after the ball was gone. Never would expect a free kick for that. You're kidding if you are.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

As has been said in another thread... Time to move on

In fact I vote we put a ban on any whinging/debating or hating about the previous weeks game after Monday night
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

bomberdonnie wrote:As has been said in another thread... Time to move on

In fact I vote we put a ban on any whinging/debating or hating about the previous weeks game after Monday night
Goes to show great minds do think alike :wink:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gimps wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:As has been said in another thread... Time to move on

Goes to show great minds do think alike :wink:
The greatest Gimps :wink:
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Great minds think alike...and so do Gimps and Bomberdonnie. :P
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:Great minds think alike...and so do Gimps and Bomberdonnie. :P
Aww, do you want to be a genius like us Robbie? With a bit of tutelage, you could one day join our club :lol: