Had we got Cloke T, we would be a Top 4 Side

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Had we got Cloke T, we would be a Top 4 Side

Post by j-mac31 »

Cloke wouldn't kick any goals with us. 1 because we can't kick to teammates and 2 because he'd be in the middle of the ground when we kick into the forward 50.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:Cloke wouldn't kick any goals with us. 1 because we can't kick to teammates and 2 because he'd be in the middle of the ground when we kick into the forward 50.
THIS!!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Jesus I know its an Essendon site, but seriously David Hille a better contested mark than Cloke, f*** me dead.

Cloke only clunked 20+ more than the next best in the comp and only clunked 30+ more than our best (Crameri with 10) and if he played for us he would've probably taken more than he has at the Pies because unlike our midfielders, Collingwood's midfielders generally kick it to their forward's advantage, increasing the likelihood of uncontested marks.

Now I know Hille plays in the ruck as well, but he has spent more time in the forward line this season than he ever would've before, and I reckon Cloke's got him covered in the contested marking stakes by 40-45.

Anyone who doesn't think having Travis Cloke in our team, wouldn't make us a much better team are absolutely kidding themself.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ealesy wrote:Jesus I know its an Essendon site, but seriously David Hille a better contested mark than Cloke, f*** me dead.

Cloke only clunked 20+ more than the next best in the comp and only clunked 30+ more than our best (Crameri with 10) and if he played for us he would've probably taken more than he has at the Pies because unlike our midfielders, Collingwood's midfielders generally kick it to their forward's advantage, increasing the likelihood of uncontested marks.

Now I know Hille plays in the ruck as well, but he has spent more time in the forward line this season than he ever would've before, and I reckon Cloke's got him covered in the contested marking stakes by 40-45.

Anyone who doesn't think having Travis Cloke in our team, wouldn't make us a much better team are absolutely kidding themself.

Thanks Ealesy - a voice of sanity in the asylum
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

ealesy wrote:Jesus I know its an Essendon site, but seriously David Hille a better contested mark than Cloke, f*** me dead.

Completely disagree. Stick Hille in exactly the same role at Collingwood as the one which Cloke plays and I'd back Hille in any day of the week. I'd even back Hooker to beat him.

Bottom line is Cloke is a shit truck who can mark but not kick. It costs you grandfinals.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

gringo wrote:

Completely disagree. Stick Hille in exactly the same role at Collingwood as the one which Cloke plays and I'd back Hille in any day of the week. I'd even back Hooker to beat him.

Bottom line is Cloke is a shit truck who can mark but not kick. It costs you grandfinals.

Get off the booze Gringy :shock:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

robrulz5 wrote:He is a good mark no doubt but he can't kick for shit.

I take this back. He has been fantastic in front of goals lately.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

6.4 tonight against the Swans

8 contested marks

But nah, he's a shit truck. We are so lucky to have the vice like grip and ferocious attack of Patrick Ryder sending shivers of fear through the competition :x
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Windy_Hill wrote:6.4 tonight against the Swans

8 contested marks

But nah, he's a shit truck. We are so lucky to have the vice like grip and ferociosu attack of Patrick Ryder sending shivers of fear through the competition :x

If he is kicking 6 against Sydney I fear what he will do to us in our current state.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robrulz5 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:6.4 tonight against the Swans

8 contested marks

But nah, he's a shit truck. We are so lucky to have the vice like grip and ferociosu attack of Patrick Ryder sending shivers of fear through the competition :x

If he is kicking 6 against Sydney I fear what he will do to us in our current state.

Wouldnt worry too much, apparently he is a shit truck :D
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Patience is a virtue isn't it? Travis Cloke was picked up in 2004, same draft as Monfries. He was picked up a year before Paddy, 2 years before Gumby and so on. About 2 years ago, people were questioning his worth, some at Collingwood wanted him traded and the bronx cheers went up whenever he took a mark. As recent as 8 months ago, the guy couldn't kick for shit.

While I am resigned to the fact the Gus is useless to us, I don't think players like Paddy and Gumby are. There is no hiding the fact Paddy has been shit this year since round 4 and Gumby's lack of reliability is starting to remind me of my old Alfa Romeo. However, I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

I think with Paddy, he showed some (ever so slight) form against Freo and North, WHEN WE ONLY HAD TWO RUCKMAN!!!!!!!

As for Gumby, last year we saw a kid who played a fair chunk of the season, ran hard, took some great contested marks. He was everything we were looking for as a forward (for a brief time). If only the prick can stay fit he "could" be good for us.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

WHEN WE ONLY HAD TWO RUCKMAN!!!!!!

Exactly. Ryder seems to be better when he is thrust into taking responsibility. That's why against North I suggested he play ruck for the majority of the day with TB as the tall forward option. I heard one pundit suggest that if he is the dude that initiates the play that is the best way to get him involved and proactive.

It was very interesting hear what Leigh Matthews had to say about this 'lazy' issue. He said that as a player he would think he is giving 100%. Matthews as coach went on to say that he used to tell his players that its important that the people in the stands see that you are giving 100%. So the body language should be one of desperation and urgency. However, people have different personalities so it isn't so easy to manufacture a desperate demeanour if you a laid back type of person.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Rossoneri wrote:Patience is a virtue isn't it? Travis Cloke was picked up in 2004, same draft as Monfries. He was picked up a year before Paddy, 2 years before Gumby and so on. About 2 years ago, people were questioning his worth, some at Collingwood wanted him traded and the bronx cheers went up whenever he took a mark. As recent as 8 months ago, the guy couldn't kick for shit.

While I am resigned to the fact the Gus is useless to us, I don't think players like Paddy and Gumby are. There is no hiding the fact Paddy has been shit this year since round 4 and Gumby's lack of reliability is starting to remind me of my old Alfa Romeo. However, I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

I think with Paddy, he showed some (ever so slight) form against Freo and North, WHEN WE ONLY HAD TWO RUCKMAN!!!!!!!

As for Gumby, last year we saw a kid who played a fair chunk of the season, ran hard, took some great contested marks. He was everything we were looking for as a forward (for a brief time). If only the prick can stay fit he "could" be good for us.
Indeed.

Although I don't think Cloke ever looked like he just didn't give a f*** to the same extent as Ryder does currently.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.