Gumbleton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gumbleton

Post by Windy_Hill »

What I dont get is why it matters whether we keep him on the list or not - its not affecting our team performances and there can only be upside if you keep him. We have come this far and if he can get fit, then he deserves another contract to show if he can play or not.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yep I reckon if he is able to get through the remaider of the year injury free he deserves another 1 year contract... we won't be making all that many list changes at seasons end so I think he will be safe enough...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:What I dont get is why it matters whether we keep him on the list or not - its not affecting our team performances and there can only be upside if you keep him. We have come this far and if he can get fit, then he deserves another contract to show if he can play or not.
Well, where do you start? He's 23 going on 24 in ten weeks. Has played a total of 22 games out of a possible 120. He's so far behind in development as a KPP it's not funny. He probably will take another 3 to 4 seasons to work out his game - that's if he stays completely intact all that time!

The problem I see with Gumby is that the moment he gets "tightness" or "soreness" anywhere near his hamstrings / back, they will put him away for weeks on end just to be cautious. And that's only natural considering what he's gone through.

For him to play 90% of an AFL season will require a miracle of biblical proportions.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:What I dont get is why it matters whether we keep him on the list or not - its not affecting our team performances and there can only be upside if you keep him. We have come this far and if he can get fit, then he deserves another contract to show if he can play or not.
Well, where do you start? He's 23 going on 24 in ten weeks. Has played a total of 22 games out of a possible 120. He's so far behind in development as a KPP it's not funny. He probably will take another 3 to 4 seasons to work out his game - that's if he stays completely intact all that time!

The problem I see with Gumby is that the moment he gets "tightness" or "soreness" anywhere near his hamstrings / back, they will put him away for weeks on end just to be cautious. And that's only natural considering what he's gone through.

For him to play 90% of an AFL season will require a miracle of biblical proportions.
With Daniher coming in and Carlisle getting better all the time.... do we cut Gumby loose and then rookie him like we did with Longy this year?? I can't see other clubs drafting him ahead of us with all the injuries he has had....
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

With Daniher coming in and Carlisle getting better all the time.... do we cut Gumby loose and then rookie him like we did with Longy this year?? I can't see other clubs drafting him ahead of us with all the injuries he has had....
Yes, unfortunately he holds no trade value whatsoever. Rookie might be the option.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Yep, he'd be cheap...but staying on the park for the rest of 2012 is critical.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:

I look at a guy like Crameri who at 21, was able to break into an AFL list without the 3-4 years of elite development. Gumby may be getting on in age but he remains in a system that should not mean he is too far off the pace when he gets back to playing. And as a KPP, I dont think this is as much of an issue as perhaps it would be for an on-baller

Anyway, we wait with baited breath
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Went along and Gumby looked good in the first half kicking a goal, making nice leads and taking a few grabs. Nice game to ease him back in. Colyer was outstanding, Pears was good as was McVeigh. Anthony Long looked great but a solid year in the VFL i believe for him to becoming good enough to be at AFL level. Kavanagh, Slatts of the other Essendon listed players were good. Great double header today.