Team v Sydney

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Team v Sydney

Post by BenDoolan »

'51 Bewick wrote:Don't know whether some people here have short memories, or just have the blinkers on.
Reimers was dropped for poor showings on numerous occassions in the seniors,

What poor showings? He has several good performances under his belt in his 56 games. The only thing that he has been questioned on is his "showing off" with the snazzy boots and goal celebrations. Truth is, he has more talent and ability than several donkeys on our list over the years. And his form at Bendigo has been shit hot in the past couple of seasons.
whereas Myers had reasonable form prior to being injured.
Debateable. Has done nothing of note whatsoever. Just plodding along IMO.
Reimers will need to keep performing in the Magoos, and grab his opportunity by the scruff when it comes as it may be his last chance.
As stated before, his form and attitude at Bendigo has been excellent. I don't see what the issue is against him. He is made to earn his spot more harder than anyone and he appears to have changed his overall team oriented approach along the way.

It makes me sick that some other inconsistent chumps get selected automatically without forcing them to earn their spot like he has to.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Western Red wrote:Gee your a wanker Gimps!

Couple of weeks ago we had people worried BT was dying and we needed fresh blood etc - along comes a nice young bloke posting and creating disucssion and you go and lambaste the shit out of him and make him get so upset he starts calling people names and then gets banned - make up you f****** mind what you want you will ya! [-X [-X

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Get f***** :wink:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Reimers will need to keep performing in the Magoos, and grab his opportunity by the scruff when it comes as it may be his last chance.
As stated before, his form and attitude at Bendigo has been excellent. I don't see what the issue is against him. He is made to earn his spot more harder than anyone and he appears to have changed his overall team oriented approach along the way.

It makes me sick that some other inconsistent chumps get selected automatically without forcing them to earn their spot like he has to.
Reading this reminded me of Ricky Dyson. He played really well for Bendigo for quite a long while before getting his chance...and look how he's been going. Might just be that they really want Reimers to show his form is a permanent thing rather than just a flash in the pan while he tries to impress for just a few weeks.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Reading this reminded me of Ricky Dyson. He played really well for Bendigo for quite a long while before getting his chance...and look how he's been going. Might just be that they really want Reimers to show his form is a permanent thing rather than just a flash in the pan while he tries to impress for just a few weeks.
That's a fair call nudder.

Hope he breaks through. He is one of the best kicks at the club IMO.
Essendunny
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Riemers' papers are signed sealed and delivered. He won't be playing for Essendon next year and I doubt he will be picked up by another club. If we could trade him for anything that would be a great result for us. I don't know why everyone is so keen on him, when he did get his chance this year he fluffed it. It's not like he's been killing it for Bendigo either, he's only just come good in the last couple of weeks.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

If Reimers gets his hands on the ball with any surety and is clear, there's usually a score. He can kick them himself or he passes with uncanny accuracy.

Unfortunately, the surety and in the clear bit isn't always there, and that's when he struggles.I don't see him as a defensive player at all, and these days most players need to go both ways. As someone trying to get into the team, he needs to do these things better than who??? to get in? He isn't competing for Myers spot, more likely Jetts/Davey/Crameri. At the moment, he's up against it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote:If Reimers gets his hands on the ball with any surety and is clear, there's usually a score. He can kick them himself or he passes with uncanny accuracy.

Unfortunately, the surety and in the clear bit isn't always there, and that's when he struggles.I don't see him as a defensive player at all, and these days most players need to go both ways. As someone trying to get into the team, he needs to do these things better than who??? to get in? He isn't competing for Myers spot, more likely Jetts/Davey/Crameri. At the moment, he's up against it.
Monfries for starters.

Interesting stats in comparison. Monfries averages 1.1 goals per game. So does Reimers. Monfries averages 15.4 disposals a game. Reimers 13.6. The difference is that Monfries has virtually played 140+ games uninterrupted while Reimers has hardly had a decent stretch in his 56 games.

So Monfries' output is no greater than Reimers and he's had almost 3 times the amount of experience. But Reimers has more pace, more skill and is more harder at the pill.

I don't really give a shit anymore. I know Gus will always get a game even though he has extended periods of shitness.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

ZeroEffect wrote:Riemers' papers are signed sealed and delivered. He won't be playing for Essendon next year and I doubt he will be picked up by another club. If we could trade him for anything that would be a great result for us. I don't know why everyone is so keen on him, when he did get his chance this year he fluffed it. It's not like he's been killing it for Bendigo either, he's only just come good in the last couple of weeks.
Where Reimers ends up next year is yet to be determined and is entirely in his own hands....if he puts in and does the hard work asked of him, and produces good form consistently then he'll be rewarded. Simple as that. Sorry to go back to the Ricky Dyson example, but everyone here was convinced last year that he'd be gone at year's end. And instead, he's considered in our best 22 currently.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

nudder12 wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:Riemers' papers are signed sealed and delivered. He won't be playing for Essendon next year and I doubt he will be picked up by another club. If we could trade him for anything that would be a great result for us. I don't know why everyone is so keen on him, when he did get his chance this year he fluffed it. It's not like he's been killing it for Bendigo either, he's only just come good in the last couple of weeks.
Where Reimers ends up next year is yet to be determined and is entirely in his own hands....if he puts in and does the hard work asked of him, and produces good form consistently then he'll be rewarded. Simple as that. Sorry to go back to the Ricky Dyson example, but everyone here was convinced last year that he'd be gone at year's end. And instead, he's considered in our best 22 currently.
True dat..
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

BenDoolan wrote:
F111 wrote:If Reimers gets his hands on the ball with any surety and is clear, there's usually a score. He can kick them himself or he passes with uncanny accuracy.

Monfries for starters.

Interesting stats in comparison. Monfries averages 1.1 goals per game. So does Reimers. Monfries averages 15.4 disposals a game. Reimers 13.6. The difference is that Monfries has virtually played 140+ games uninterrupted while Reimers has hardly had a decent stretch in his 56 games.

So Monfries' output is no greater than Reimers and he's had almost 3 times the amount of experience. But Reimers has more pace, more skill and is more harder at the pill.

I don't really give a shit anymore. I know Gus will always get a game even though he has extended periods of shitness.
8 of those goals came in 1 game against a shocking GC...

I'm not a huge fan of Monfries, but those stats you have provided make him look pretty good. Most coaches would be rapt with that sort of output per game for a small forward, especially over a long period of time. Have you got the comparitive stats on free's against or undisciplined acts or even selfish acts? Reimers is a loose cannon, surely you guys can see that.

Why isn't anyone talking about Dell'Olio? I thought he was just as good, if not better than Riemers last weekend. He's classy and the coaches seem to like him.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

nudder12 wrote:
True, like most people I thought Dyson was gone at the end of this year. Good on him for saving his career and becoming the player he always threatened to be. I think being "weaponized" has been a big part of that. Reimers is up against it, he only has just over half a season to prove he can play some consistent footy. Dyson was killing it in the VFL before he got his call up and when he did he really took the opportunity, Reimers will have to do the same... soon.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZeroEffect wrote: 8 of those goals came in 1 game against a shocking GC...
And Monfries kicked half that amount.
I'm not a huge fan of Monfries, but those stats you have provided make him look pretty good. Most coaches would be rapt with that sort of output per game for a small forward, especially over a long period of time.
Most goodly consistent small forwards average 1.5 goals over their career (200 games - 300 goals). Monfries will have to get a wriggle on. Needs something like 140 goals in his next 60 games. He's averaged 1 goal per game ever since he started. So the issue is, he doesn't appear to be improving his output as he gains more experience.
Have you got the comparitive stats on free's against or undisciplined acts or even selfish acts? Reimers is a loose cannon, surely you guys can see that.
Monfries averages 1.7 Frees For per game and 0.7 Free Against per game
Reimers averages 1.0 Frees For per game and 0.8 Frees Against per game

And we all know Monfries was a huge stager for free kicks before they started to clamp down on the profession. He always drew a free kick by throwing his head back to extentuate near enough high contact. It was no surprise to hear opposition supporters label him "MoreFrees".

And I haven't got stats on "selfish acts" but there is the label these two guys have attracted. Monfries was labelled "Hollywood" in the early days when he cost us a game against Hawthorn by having a fancy shot from the boundary line when he could have centred the ball. And there was his propensity to fly for ridiculous marks instead of staying down.

And Reimers as we all know was labelled a show pony for his dazzling boots, tattoo tapping goal celebrations and gunslinging finger waving actions. He also had selfish shots at goal.

But it is Reimers who is forced to work hard on these areas and earn his spot back in the seniors while Monfries has hardly missed a game all his career. The only time Monfries was dropped - he ended up being recalled due to a late withdrawal.
Why isn't anyone talking about Dell'Olio? I thought he was just as good, if not better than Riemers last weekend. He's classy and the coaches seem to like him.
He's a good prospect. I like him. And he played very well last weekend for Bendigo. But he needs to work his way off the rookie list before we start talking about his long term career.
Essendunny
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Ben, you have brought to light some really good arguements there. I'm starting to come around on the anti Monfries campaign but I'm not convinced Reimers is the right replacement for him yet. At this stage I'd prefer to have another look at Dell'Olio in the seniors or even bring back Colyer until Reimers finds some better form. I don't know exactly why Colyer was dropped for this week, at Hird's press conference yesterday he said he wanted a bigger body in David Myers for Etihad... why not drop Melksham then, he's been ordinary at best and Colyer is a man mountain compared to him.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Gimps wrote:
Sartorius wrote:Considering how poor we were around the contested ball last week I think myers isn't too bad an inclusion. The coaches obviously rate him, and he is incredibly strong through the core which is criteria number one for bomber Thompson. Also has a fantastic long kick which we have been missing over the last few weeks, especially when fletch hasn't been around.

Down back Myers normally struggles in his first few games back, but if he is been brought in to play in the midfield then I'm happy with the selection. Let Reimers smash the door down to get back in. One thing I would like to see if Reimers does eventually get back in is him playing in the positions (midfield, half back flank) that he has been playing well in the vfl. I can't comment too much as apart from last weekend I haven't seen bendigo play this season, so would need to ask Saladin or someone, but it is frustrating seeing him dominate in midfield then come into the afl team and play as a small forward.
He's too bloody slow for the midfield. A Whipper Snipper has a bigger tank.
Not sure if he is physically slow, but he often can appear that way as he thinks he has more time than he does. Hopefully he can get a consistent run at senior level and improve in this area.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZeroEffect wrote:Ben, you have brought to light some really good arguements there. I'm starting to come around on the anti Monfries campaign but I'm not convinced Reimers is the right replacement for him yet. At this stage I'd prefer to have another look at Dell'Olio in the seniors or even bring back Colyer until Reimers finds some better form. I don't know exactly why Colyer was dropped for this week, at Hird's press conference yesterday he said he wanted a bigger body in David Myers for Etihad... why not drop Melksham then, he's been ordinary at best and Colyer is a man mountain compared to him.
Yep, and that's fine. Not many like or back Reimers at all. I happen to be one. And I agree that Melksham is skating on thin ice (moreso than Monfries to be honest).

I don't have a problem with Colyer or Dell'Olio getting games. I think Colyer has been given bugger all chance to prove himself. But I suppose they believe we need our most experienced side out there to play against a hard nosed team like Sydney.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Reimo would surely have sone trade value... he has that little bit of x-factor that a lot of teams would like hovering in their forward line... would prefer him to stay but its looking unlikely at the moment
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

BenDoolan wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:Ben, you have brought to light some really good arguements there. I'm starting to come around on the anti Monfries campaign but I'm not convinced Reimers is the right replacement for him yet. At this stage I'd prefer to have another look at Dell'Olio in the seniors or even bring back Colyer until Reimers finds some better form. I don't know exactly why Colyer was dropped for this week, at Hird's press conference yesterday he said he wanted a bigger body in David Myers for Etihad... why not drop Melksham then, he's been ordinary at best and Colyer is a man mountain compared to him.
Yep, and that's fine. Not many like or back Reimers at all. I happen to be one. And I agree that Melksham is skating on thin ice (moreso than Monfries to be honest).

I don't have a problem with Colyer or Dell'Olio getting games. I think Colyer has been given bugger all chance to prove himself. But I suppose they believe we need our most experienced side out there to play against a hard nosed team like Sydney.
Quietly clapping on the side-lines =D>

The Doolan Knows!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Gimps wrote:
Sartorius wrote:Considering how poor we were around the contested ball last week I think myers isn't too bad an inclusion. The coaches obviously rate him, and he is incredibly strong through the core which is criteria number one for bomber Thompson. Also has a fantastic long kick which we have been missing over the last few weeks, especially when fletch hasn't been around.

Down back Myers normally struggles in his first few games back, but if he is been brought in to play in the midfield then I'm happy with the selection. Let Reimers smash the door down to get back in. One thing I would like to see if Reimers does eventually get back in is him playing in the positions (midfield, half back flank) that he has been playing well in the vfl. I can't comment too much as apart from last weekend I haven't seen bendigo play this season, so would need to ask Saladin or someone, but it is frustrating seeing him dominate in midfield then come into the afl team and play as a small forward.
He's too bloody slow for the midfield. A Whipper Snipper has a bigger tank.
Did you prefer his output on the ball tonight gimps? Good launch pad for the rest of the season in the midfield hopefully.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Myers did very well to get plenty of possessions and clearances. I've always thought he does his best work in the middle, can't wait for him to be shit next week or go to half back.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

BenDoolan wrote:
'51 Bewick wrote:Don't know whether some people here have short memories, or just have the blinkers on.
Reimers was dropped for poor showings on numerous occassions in the seniors,

What poor showings? He has several good performances under his belt in his 56 games. The only thing that he has been questioned on is his "showing off" with the snazzy boots and goal celebrations. Truth is, he has more talent and ability than several donkeys on our list over the years. And his form at Bendigo has been shit hot in the past couple of seasons.
whereas Myers had reasonable form prior to being injured.
Debateable. Has done nothing of note whatsoever. Just plodding along IMO.

So, still think Reimers should have been picked ahead of Myers :roll: