Josh Caddy

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Re: Josh Caddy

Post by ealesy »

With you other thread about who Robbo doesn't think will be Essendon next year...my feeling is that we are trying to get together a package involving Pears for Caddy.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

was my immediate thought too
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd be good with that.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rumour is - Freo are seriously interested in Scott Gumbleton. They're talking first round pick which may be traded on to getting Caddy. I think that's what I heard....
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Freo are after everyone so far, but yes apparantly Freo are 1 of 10 clubs showing interest in Gumby

hate to lose him but to get better we need mids and given we get Joe Daniher next year we have to bite the bullet on Gumby i think while he is hot
Kakadu Kangaroos
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I cannot see the club cutting him loose after sticking by him for so long.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

rockhole wrote:I cannot see the club cutting him loose after sticking by him for so long.
We have to trade player types of which we have an excess in order to derive any net benefit - we have an excess of talls.

I would be happy to lose Gumby if it meant we gain a super young mid fielder. This team will not win a Premiership without a better mid field.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

JockStrap wrote:
rockhole wrote:I cannot see the club cutting him loose after sticking by him for so long.
We have to trade player types of which we have an excess in order to derive any net benefit - we have an excess of talls.

I would be happy to lose Gumby if it meant we gain a super young mid fielder. This team will not win a Premiership without a better mid field.
Spot on
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The interesting thing with all this discussion is that people are talking about a "super young midfielder"

Caddy has not shown enough to suggest that he is that player.

Compare the start of his career with someone like Dustin Martin (who is a super midfielder) and Martin was way in front.

Caddy might turn out to be good but he has a long way to go imo
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

swoodley wrote:The interesting thing with all this discussion is that people are talking about a "super young midfielder"

Compare the start of his career with someone like Dustin Martin (who is a super midfielder) and Martin was way in front.

Agree, I think Caddy has been solid (not spectacular) this year - he has picked up a Rising Star nomination although that's largely irrelevant.

I guess the point is we have to be aggresively focused on one if not two new mids. Whether its Caddy or someone else I will leave to the experts. Having the trading currency will demand we give up some quallty as we all know. If someone said we could get that player for the loss of Gumby, I would be asking where do I sign
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

the other question the club has to ask is is our backline good enough? do we need to send Hurley down there? if so then Gumby might save his spot

but agree its a hugely emotional call if we are to trade Gumby, i can't really see it happening
Kakadu Kangaroos
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

Jazz_84 wrote:the other question the club has to ask is is our backline good enough? do we need to send Hurley down there? if so then Gumby might save his spot

but agree its a hugely emotional call if we are to trade Gumby, i can't really see it happening
Perhaps this is his Fate, to ultimately deliver to us a mid fielder worthy of a number 2 pick
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

swoodley wrote:The interesting thing with all this discussion is that people are talking about a "super young midfielder"

He does have some way to go, but unless he is a complete mental retard, he will make it. He has all the tools, he is good off both sides, can play inside and outside, and is an excellent decision maker. His body still has some maturing to do, where as guys like Martin and Rich were already built like men when they were drafted.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Hirdy is VERY keen to keep Gumby... is close to a new deal as well so it would have to be a damn good offer from someone for us to do the trade.

Pears is gone though... Hurls might go back again (when Fletch retires) to leave Gumby and Joe Daniher with Crameri forward??
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Hirdy is VERY keen to keep Gumby... is close to a new deal as well so it would have to be a damn good offer from someone for us to do the trade.

Pears is gone though... Hurls might go back again (when Fletch retires) to leave Gumby and Joe Daniher with Crameri forward??
Hurley back isn't where we would all like to see him but for the good of the team it will have to be so, and he has serious presence so he will be a force down back and opposition forwards will be constantly thinking about him
Kakadu Kangaroos
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Hirdy is VERY keen to keep Gumby... is close to a new deal as well so it would have to be a damn good offer from someone for us to do the trade.

Hurley back isn't where we would all like to see him but for the good of the team it will have to be so, and he has serious presence so he will be a force down back and opposition forwards will be constantly thinking about him
I'd like to see Hurley in the backline. He's much better than Hooker in every aspect of the game. He can still dominate from the backline and shut down key forwards.

We'd still have at least two of Ryder, Gumbleton and Daniher to play forward, as well as Crameri.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

FWIW, while I'd be disappointed to lose Gumbleton, we NEED to improve our midfield. We're pretty set for tall forwards.