Devon Smith

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Re: Devon Smith

Post by DC2 »

maybe francis will pull a reimers. reimers was offered a deal from carlton i think but chose to play in the wafk instead.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Now known as Strasbourg.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Stoked we've got him. Excellent addition to the midfield. Building a nice unit there.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm Now known as Strasbourg.
Meatloaf
Essendunny
patoman
On the Rookie List

Post by patoman »

Handy pick up... just hope he steps up and becomes a good midfielder for us! Otherwise we've paid overs again ](*,) by all reports it seems seems like a good deal =D>
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

If Stringer doesn't make it, weve paid big overs. It would put a huge expectation on Smith's worth and usefulness. I can't see that he's filling a huge hole. Whereas Stringer poentially.... but Dogs did f*** us around.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Partial overs if you combine what weve given up for both Smith and Saad.. i would argue Saad was a bargain. So all in all we lose a first round pick in a pretty average draft but pick up 2 decent players as well as having 2 second round picks. Thats not to shabby. And once you get past the first 5 picks in this year's draft a pick 11 could be no better than a pick 30.

If Stringer comes through as well then we will have done very well indeed as he is surely better than 2 second round picks.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 pm Partial overs if you combine what weve given up for both Smith and Saad.. i would argue Saad was a bargain. So all in all we lose a first round pick in a pretty average draft but pick up 2 decent players as well as having 2 second round picks. Thats not to shabby. And once you get past the first 5 picks in this year's draft a pick 11 could be no better than a pick 30.

If Stringer comes through as well then we will have done very well indeed as he is surely better than 2 second round picks.
I don't think we've paid overs at all. We already have Smith and Saad, plus still have all our picks next year for the much better draft.

Plus we either have 2 picks in the 20s this year OR Get Stringer.

I think we've come out a long way ahead.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Sismis wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 pm Partial overs if you combine what weve given up for both Smith and Saad.. i would argue Saad was a bargain. So all in all we lose a first round pick in a pretty average draft but pick up 2 decent players as well as having 2 second round picks. Thats not to shabby. And once you get past the first 5 picks in this year's draft a pick 11 could be no better than a pick 30.

I don't think we've paid overs at all. We already have Smith and Saad, plus still have all our picks next year for the much better draft.

Quite happy with 2 picks in top 30. Despite pundits saying that the quality drops suddenly after pick 10 (like it does almost any year), if the picks were carefully used and the kids properly developed, we should get at least one 50-100 game player from those two. May not be a star, but geuss what - doesn't have to be.
The thing that gets me is the poor youth development that the club has (compared the Sydney, Hawthorn, and sadly even Richmond last year). Hopefully this is being addressed.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 am
Sismis wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 am

Quite happy with 2 picks in top 30. Despite pundits saying that the quality drops suddenly after pick 10 (like it does almost any year), if the picks were carefully used and the kids properly developed, we should get at least one 50-100 game player from those two. May not be a star, but geuss what - doesn't have to be.
The thing that gets me is the poor youth development that the club has (compared the Sydney, Hawthorn, and sadly even Richmond last year). Hopefully this is being addressed.
I think we have improved in recent years but there is a big hole, and targeting players in their low 20s I think could help to mitigate it.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Pick 11 + Future 2nd for Smith + Saad + Future 2nd + 25 is overs?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

boncer34 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 am

We’ve done we’ll do far this trade period. We’re well infront in my view. We land Stringer tomorrow and it will be an absolute bonza trade.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

What am I missing here?

A 1st and a 3rd for two quality players a 2nd back.

That's genius, not overs.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Its a case of the total exceeding the sum of the parts - which is effectively what I was trying to say.. Smith for 11 etc was probably a little over, Saad for future 2nd rounder probably a little under - so its a breakeven or better in the wash up
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:23 pm What am I missing here?

OK, lets tone down the hyperbole old mate....they are good players. Merrett is quality, Daniher is quality.

Most of us hadn't heard of them before this trade period. But yeah, as I said, we've done well to get these two and have two second rounders
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 am

Its a case of the total exceeding the sum of the parts - which is effectively what I was trying to say.. Smith for 11 etc was probably a little over, Saad for future 2nd rounder probably a little under - so its a breakeven or better in the wash up
Smith for a 14 spot downgrade and a 2nd rounder was overs?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:06 am

OK, lets tone down the hyperbole old mate....they are good players. Merrett is quality, Daniher is quality.

Most of us hadn't heard of them before this trade period. But yeah, as I said, we've done well to get these two and have two second rounders
Which rock do you live under?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:48 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:06 am

Which rock do you live under?
Apparently 50+ goals and All-Australian at 21 years old, and Premiership player, doesn't count.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

To don #5
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What a fantastic season he’s had. Won’t make AA, but should be in the mix. Will win the 2018 Crichton (or should win it).

100% grit and determination. 100% quality. Has achieved the highest ever tackle count in AFL history of tackles.

The 3 “S”es have been fantastic this year.

Well played Dev =D>
Essendunny