The Bombers Will Not Make the Finals in 2007

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

andrewb wrote:We've got the worst run home of any team. Our last 10 games are tough as. If we're not 7-5 or better at the half way mark we're really going to struggle.
Well... despite my crap maths (!) we have got the seven plus wins required. Now for the run home. Assuming we keep our key people on the field:

Port @ AAMI is going to be TOUGH. 50/50 at best. Don't bank this one because it's very hard to win there and not a lot of teams do. Form counts for very little on the road.

Melbourne looked great today and are coming back into form. That game is 50/50 at best - remember that this is basically the same team that were seriously challenging for top four last year.

I can't wait for the Geelong game but we're probably going to lose.... They look awesome at the moment and they match up very well with us.

Footscray 50/50 at best. We've got better talls, they've got better smalls. Fortunately we've got a good record with Brad Johnson.

Collingwood 50/50 at best.

Adelaide 50/50 depending on what happens with Goodwin's knee. If he's out, I'll back us.

Hawthorn we should win having seen their game plan in action once already this season. I get the feeling that Clarkson is a bit of a one trick pony and I think they will drop off towards the second half of the year.

Fremantle at Subi could be anything but I expect that they will build towards the latter part of the season. Probably a loss.

Carlton should be a win providing we drop someone into Fev's space. Mal's not going to drop his pants twice in a year and he's match fit now.

Richmond should be a win, but anything can happen in three months.

West Coast will be very tough to win.

So... I'm banking on 5 and a half wins at this stage - either 13-9 or 12-10 for the season. Anything better than that and we'll be a genuine premiership contender, anything less than that and we'll be a disappointment. Still, 12 or 13 wins with our draw would be an exceptional result given pre-season expectations.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Well, as I said at the outset, I would love to be proven wrong.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

In this league every game is 50/50.

You can never pencil in wins - you have to earn them on the day.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

tonysoprano wrote:In this league every game is 50/50.

At the end of the day, we'll just take it one week at a time and remember that it's a game of two halves.

Thank you, I'm Gary Ayres. :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Ossie wrote:

At the end of the day, we'll just take it one week at a time and remember that it's a game of two halves.

P.S.
And it all rests on The Hird's,The Lloyd's,The Fletcher's,The Lucas's,The Hills',The McVeigh's,The Peverill's,The McPhee's to stay on the Park and The Davey's,The Watson's,The Wunderlich's,The Lovett's,The Stanton's,The Monfries',to stand up.

Credits:Andrew Starten Gary Ayes[and many others]impersonator.
Last edited by Rover 7 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Filthy wrote:Wouldn't you love to have multiple Fletchers, Hirds, lloyds etc!! :D
Hopefully in about 15 years we will!!!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Ossie wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, fare enough - cliche city I know.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

Windy_Hill wrote:Well, as I said at the outset, I would love to be proven wrong.
With all due respect Windy (and that's not much) thats bullshit!!! With the amount of negative posts I have read from you over time I really get the feeling you would be happier if we didn't make the finals. Surely if we do make the top 8 you might then have to write something that acknowledges the positive aspects of the Essendon Football Club. Someone who really did hope for the best for the team would not have named the thread in the manner you did. If you really do think we wont be there come September, you could still have worded the heading in less dramatic terms. But as usual, in your eyes all at Essendon is dark and gloomy, and we read another post with your expert comments that seem to have you turning more and more into Robert Walls with each post. Then, after seeing everyone else happily writing how pleased they are and the good feeling in the thread, you post this piddly line trying to justify you original bitch. I pity your lack of optimism for the cause, and feel sorry for you in the fact that despite the low expectations of the football world at the start of the season and the wonderful position the players have put the club in at this stage of the season, your pessimistic outlook probably doesn't allow you to enjoy all the brilliant matches many others of us have been witness to so far this year. With so many wonderful stories coming out of Windy Hill this year, it is painfully sobering to know that there will always be people like yourself willing others to fall, waiting for their cue to shout out "I told you so!"

Cheer up Chicken Little, the sky isn't really falling! :D
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

chickster wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Well, as I said at the outset, I would love to be proven wrong.
With all due respect Windy (and that's not much) thats bullshit!!! With the amount of negative posts I have read from you over time I really get the feeling you would be happier if we didn't make the finals. Surely if we do make the top 8 you might then have to write something that acknowledges the positive aspects of the Essendon Football Club. Someone who really did hope for the best for the team would not have named the thread in the manner you did. If you really do think we wont be there come September, you could still have worded the heading in less dramatic terms. But as usual, in your eyes all at Essendon is dark and gloomy, and we read another post with your expert comments that seem to have you turning more and more into Robert Walls with each post. Then, after seeing everyone else happily writing how pleased they are and the good feeling in the thread, you post this piddly line trying to justify you original bitch. I pity your lack of optimism for the cause, and feel sorry for you in the fact that despite the low expectations of the football world at the start of the season and the wonderful position the players have put the club in at this stage of the season, your pessimistic outlook probably doesn't allow you to enjoy all the brilliant matches many others of us have been witness to so far this year. With so many wonderful stories coming out of Windy Hill this year, it is painfully sobering to know that there will always be people like yourself willing others to fall, waiting for their cue to shout out "I told you so!"

Cheer up Chicken Little, the sky isn't really falling! :D
Yeh I'm sure Windy's just cryin' into his beer with every win!

BTW what would you call this?
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: The Bombers Will Not Make the Finals in 2007

Post by dom_105 »

At the end of the day, he was probably saying what a lot of the "experts" were at the start of the year. In fact, at the start of the year a 9th - 10th finish was very optimistic, now it's just pessimistic. That's just the way football goes.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

I thought we had no hope of making finals this year - thought we would win 6 games max.

But very very very happy to be proven wrong again.
Bleeding for the red and black
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I still can't believe we still have jetta and lovett-murray still to come in. When they do I'm sure they'll have an impact and maybe lovett if he can get back to good form.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I personally thought we had the talent to make finals, and said so. I still think we have the talent to make the finals... and think that top 4 is most definitely achievable.

It's up to the boys to put in the hard yards on the park from here til the end of the year and we'll see what comes of it. Are we a chance for the flag? If you make the finals, anyone's a chance.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant