Pev in the backline.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

As I said to successfully play the style Sydney does you have to have a high skill level. I don't see Kirk and those guy miss kick in their defensive 50.

Its good to see that at least on person on this board can have a intelligent debate without resorting to unneccesary insults.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Essendon4eva wrote: intelligent debate
That disqualifies you.
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

robbie67
Champion of Essendon

40 posts per day on avg.

you need to get a life fool

or is it that you is just one ugly dude with no friends....

you loooooooooooooser
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

robbie67
Champion of Essendon

40 posts per day on avg.
Nah man, most of those posts are from the old BT before its was shut down. They just carried over when he joined up at the new BT - as it did with most who post here, myself included.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:As I said to successfully play the style Sydney does you have to have a high skill level. I don't see Kirk and those guy miss kick in their defensive 50.

Its good to see that at least on person on this board can have a intelligent debate without resorting to unneccesary insults.
Sydney Swans midfield is not highly skilled. Here is some thoughts from Swan supporters about them....

http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/show ... 399&page=2

And this is one comment that describes their style perfectly;
We have too many taggers. Our midfield is in terrible shape. At each centre bounce they focus almost entirely on stopping their opponents - half of them don't even watch the football. I was amazed how many times they actually ran away from the football toward their own man, or they were facing their man and the ball bounced past them.
This is why the Swans hardly ever kick a score over a hundred. This is why they strangle their opponents. There is nothing skillful about it, just fierce application on creating stoppages. It's their style.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Its the game plan, fomr my perspective. There game plan is to play that way. When they are down in the forth quater, they often change it and nearly run over the top of their opposition.
Its a game plan Sydney plays.

When they do have the ball the have thier half forwards flood into the middle and they chip the ball around untill they can put the ball in-front of Hall and Micky O. We have tried slowing the game down and look at how much worse we are at it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:Its the game plan, fomr my perspective. There game plan is to play that way. When they are down in the forth quater, they often change it and nearly run over the top of their opposition.
Its a game plan Sydney plays.

When they do have the ball the have thier half forwards flood into the middle and they chip the ball around untill they can put the ball in-front of Hall and Micky O. We have tried slowing the game down and look at how much worse we are at it.
Well then you're saying it's our game plan that's the problem. We're not designing one to suit our players.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I'm saying our players are not good enough by foot to play the style fo football it takes to win games. West Coast style works because there medfielders ahev great skills. Sydney's style worked because there players haev great skills. I do not beleive Peverill's foot skills are good enough for this modern game fo football.

Thats jsut my opinion. I think we need to do what part did two years ago. They cut older players who they didn't see getting any better. Pev won't get any better, so he needs to make way.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:I'm saying our players are not good enough by foot to play the style fo football it takes to win games. West Coast style works because there medfielders ahev great skills. Sydney's style worked because there players haev great skills. I do not beleive Peverill's foot skills are good enough for this modern game fo football.

Thats jsut my opinion. I think we need to do what part did two years ago. They cut older players who they didn't see getting any better. Pev won't get any better, so he needs to make way.
Sorry, but that is bullshit. Sydney DO NOT have great skills. They are very ordinary. If their midfield was so quick and skilled, Barry Hall would be kicking a hundred goals a season, especially at the SCG. See that the team rarely kicks over 100 points a match just proves that they are not delivery enough quality ball into the forward 50. But by saying that, they do have a game plan that accomodates their style of players perfectly, and they have tasted success with it.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Thats because there style is to slow the game down. They like to have a slow pace with alot of stoppages.
They have alot of stoppages because thier half forwards move up into the midfield.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Pev will be top 5 in our B&F easily and is in great form. Iif everyone had the same application to there roles as he does, we might not be going so bad. He runs all day and presents a viable option.

Where are the guys who can hit targets? Monfries & Dyson. If they get 30 touches each I guarantee you we win. Why is Hird, Winderlich and Lovett butchering the ball when there role is to provide the quality supply to the forward line? Why do our in and under brigade of JJ, MJ, Hird (I place Hird in both categoris as his role varies and he is not in good form despite getting plenty of the ball), and Watson get beat week after week at stoppages(also note that Pev doesnt fit in this category)?not getting the Pill or is Hill not winning any hit outs?

Everyone has a role to play and Pev is definately keeping his side of the bargain. We have more than half a team atm who arnt so your descision to make Pev your scapegoat is as bad as a bradley chip out of defence.

To be fair take a look at others playing similar roles to Pev througout the league and then question his comparable worth in his current form. Ling, Kirk, Baker, Scotland, Rawlings are all fine stoppers and essential to their team structure and none of them would have better than 80% effective disposal rates by foot. In his current form I definately rate Pev the equal to all of these guys.

Point the finger at any of probably 10-14 blokes not fulfilling there role in game plan, not a bloke who has done enough this year to silence even the most critical observers and even win back support from the same people calling for his head last year, me being one of them!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sol wrote:Pev will be top 5 in our B&F easily and is in great form. Iif everyone had the same application to there roles as he does, we might not be going so bad. He runs all day and presents a viable option.

Where are the guys who can hit targets? Monfries & Dyson. If they get 30 touches each I guarantee you we win. Why is Hird, Winderlich and Lovett butchering the ball when there role is to provide the quality supply to the forward line? Why do our in and under brigade of JJ, MJ, Hird (I place Hird in both categoris as his role varies and he is not in good form despite getting plenty of the ball), and Watson get beat week after week at stoppages(also note that Pev doesnt fit in this category)?not getting the Pill or is Hill not winning any hit outs?

Everyone has a role to play and Pev is definately keeping his side of the bargain. We have more than half a team atm who arnt so your descision to make Pev your scapegoat is as bad as a bradley chip out of defence.

To be fair take a look at others playing similar roles to Pev througout the league and then question his comparable worth in his current form. Ling, Kirk, Baker, Scotland, Rawlings are all fine stoppers and essential to their team structure and none of them would have better than 80% effective disposal rates by foot. In his current form I definately rate Pev the equal to all of these guys.

Point the finger at any of probably 10-14 blokes not fulfilling there role in game plan, not a bloke who has done enough this year to silence even the most critical observers and even win back support from the same people calling for his head last year, me being one of them!
Well said Sol.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Thig is sol, Loevvett, Monfires etc will get better. Peverill has hti his peak. He can't get better, so is taking the spot of a younger guy who will benifit from gametime.

Ling isn't a great kicker, but look what Geelong has done with him. He is stricktly a tagger again. And now Geelong is better for it.

You obviously didn't read all my posts. you jsut read enough to understand I dislike Peverill.

Peverill wont get better, but the guys you mentioned will. We are a devloping team, so players that will improve are more valuabe than those who wont.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:
Peverill wont get better, but the guys you mentioned will. We are a devloping team, so players that will improve are more valuabe than those who wont.
So, based on that assumption, let's get rid of Hird, Fletcher, Lloyd, the Johnson's, Campo, Cole, Heffernan, Michael & Welsh simply because they're not going to get better. They are all past their best, and it is highly unlikely that they will improve. It seems odd that you have singled out Peverill based on this assumption, particularly when he is the best form of his career.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Essendon4eva wrote:Peverill wont get better, but the guys you mentioned will. We are a devloping team, so players that will improve are more valuabe than those who wont.
Pev is more than pulling his weight this year. If you think dropping players who are playing well just because they won't get better is the way to go then Lucas, Hird and Lloyd should never play another game.

The way for the young guys to get a game is to do what Houli has recently done...get a swag of quality possessions playing for Bendigo and force their way into the side.

Just because they're young shouldn't (and doesn't) guarantee them game time.

And as for disliking Peverill...I suggest you concentrate on the job he is doing and look past your dislike of him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

If peverill couldn't get any better why has he come back this season better than last? There are very few players on our list that work as hard as peverill does, and that is the kind of bloke I want at essendon. A few weeks back (saints i think) peverill had something like 6 rebound 50's and 8 inside 50's do you realise how much hard work it takes to do that?

Also sydney do not have good skills, they have a good team game, they run for eachother, they attack the ball as a group and simply strangle the opposition, they have a few players in the side with good skills the rest of the time they just play metre for metre and strangle the opposition whilst slowly gaining ground.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

That goes back to my original point about having Hird, Watson and Jason Johnson who I rate higher than Peverill. We allready have a group of guys who play the role Peverill does. So from that list, because he wont get much better and his best, isn't that good, he should get cut.
Basically if Pevrills gone Hird, Watson and Jason Johnson, with properly Mark Johnson and Angus can play that role that Pev does.
We don't have that much to come in that are ready for AFL football in the forward line and backline to go cutting players.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:That goes back to my original point about having Hird, Watson and Jason Johnson who I rate higher than Peverill. We allready have a group of guys who play the role Peverill does. So from that list, because he wont get much better and his best, isn't that good, he should get cut.
Basically if Pevrills gone Hird, Watson and Jason Johnson, with properly Mark Johnson and Angus can play that role that Pev does.
We don't have that much to come in that are ready for AFL football in the forward line and backline to go cutting players.
How old are you?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Essendon4eva wrote:That goes back to my original point about having Hird, Watson and Jason Johnson who I rate higher than Peverill. We allready have a group of guys who play the role Peverill does. So from that list, because he wont get much better and his best, isn't that good, he should get cut.
Do you have any real idea what role Pev performs? He is our number one tagger whose job it is to stop one of the opposition gun midfielders.

None of the players you have mentioned play a similar role or would do it as well.

Face the facts...Pev is playing well and your dislike of him is clouding whatever judgement you are making.

Surely with all the various replies you're getting in favour of Pev, you should realise that you're pushing shit uphill with your idea of getting rid of him.

It just doesn't make any sense :roll:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Give up! Clearly this guys mindset is as flexible as a cast iron plank and he will continue to have irational oppinions of Pev no matter what he does.

Fact is though, Pev is in better form than all of Hird, JJ and MJ and I would drop any of those before I dropped Pev looking at recent performance. But thats just me being rational, something Essendon4eva clearly cant comprehend.