Matthew Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Much happier with his performance today, not just the goals but his attitude on the field was much more of a captains effort than last week - go Lloydy!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

excellent performance - but is on the wing far too often.

i guess its because we cant get it deep enough often enough.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

I think everybody is still been far to kind on Lloydy - I agree his second efforts were miles better today and I actually saw him make a few tackles. But where the hell has this endeavour been throughout the season? Plus he kicked five goals but jeez he can't win any one on one contests if his life depended on it - that hack Grover killed him.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Much better today - no whinging and played in front most of the time.

Also some good tackling.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

He set an example. Good on him. Our best player out of a sick and sorry lot.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Would have been even better if we had have actually kicked it out in front of him for a change. Had poor delivery all day... Great effort though.

Roll on 08...
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I think it is time to eliminate the our young, medfields saftey net in guys like Peverill (for the year). It is time to say, "For the next three games it is all on you guys. WHo will be here next year and who will not'. Time to seperate the young guys for the future and the ones to let loose.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Too heavy?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I was there yesterday and agree that he played better but he still goes to ground too often and too easily.

As for all of you who gave him three votes...f***** if I know why :shock:

You really must have thought everyone else was pretty bad
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

If he wasn't playing for essendon, he'd be my most hated opponent. Even wearing red and black I struggle to admire the way he goes about footy.

He plays the man rather than the ball, he stages for frees, he goes for cheap shots, he's not as disciplined as he expects his teammates to be and he spends far too much time posing. Controlled agression is a foreign concept and when he does pick a fight he usually ends up either looking soft or getting reported without actually hurting anyone.

Kicks accurately and kicks a lot of goals, though, and on those rare days where he decides to keep his feet, go for marks, play the man, chase and tackle he does look like a captain.

Unfortunately, these days I just never know which Matty Lloyd is going to turn up.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

swoodley wrote:I was there yesterday and agree that he played better but he still goes to ground too often and too easily.

WTF???? Played an almost lone hand up forward. He ran tackled made second efforts. He kicked 5 and set up 2 more. He could get brownlow votes for this game. Only thing pipping him for our best is Fletch, who was superhuman.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sismis wrote:
swoodley wrote:I was there yesterday and agree that he played better but he still goes to ground too often and too easily.

WTF???? Played an almost lone hand up forward. He ran tackled made second efforts. He kicked 5 and set up 2 more. He could get brownlow votes for this game. Only thing pipping him for our best is Fletch, who was superhuman.
And he went to ground almost every time he got in a contest. The other bomber fans around me were all saying the same thing..."stay on your bloody feet for once"

Most times that happened, Freo were able to clear the ball from our forward line with minimal fuss.

Yes, he played better than last week but he was not worth a vote imo let alone three.

If he gets Brownlow votes for this game the umpires should be drug tested or have their eyesight tested (or both).
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

andrewb wrote:If he wasn't playing for essendon, he'd be my most hated opponent. Even wearing red and black I struggle to admire the way he goes about footy.

He plays the man rather than the ball, he stages for frees, he goes for cheap shots, he's not as disciplined as he expects his teammates to be and he spends far too much time posing. Controlled agression is a foreign concept and when he does pick a fight he usually ends up either looking soft or getting reported without actually hurting anyone.

Kicks accurately and kicks a lot of goals, though, and on those rare days where he decides to keep his feet, go for marks, play the man, chase and tackle he does look like a captain.

Unfortunately, these days I just never know which Matty Lloyd is going to turn up.
Yeah I hate to say it, but I think I agree.

On him not keeping his feet, one of the reasons is the stupid way he jumps, where he tucks his legs under his body. Why FFS? Surely someone at the club would have said to him years ago that it isn't a good technique and he could have worked on it long ago.

Great to see him in a bit of form this week.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

When 2007 is all done and dusted, we will look at it and say that 60 goals after missing a year of football with a career threatening injury is actually a decent return.

To kick 60 goals in a year and your still out of form, shows exactly how good a player he is. Not to mention having to play with a midfield that couldnt get a gig in the reserves for the Northern Football League.

I reckon next year will be the return of 100-goal forward, and it will be Lloyd. Its his first year as captain on the field (pretty much), probably got a bit anxious, just needs to relax.

Have him next year sit in teh GS and have Gumby and Lucas up the field, I'd be very tempted to put a sum of money on him for the coleman.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: Matthew Lloyd

Post by Gyoza »

BomberinJapan wrote:What is it with Lloydy?

- Seems to be giving away A LOT more free kicks this year

- VERY focused on the umpires and free kicks. (Terrible incident last week when the ball spilled to the pocket. Crows player took off head down after the ball, Lloydy ran for the ball but also had his head turned looking at the umpire)

- Obsessed with trying to run his man under the ball and turn back towards goal.

- Terrible goal kicking and kicking in general compared with previous years

Is is the captaincy? Is it the injury? Is it just crap disposal into the forward 50? Is it all of these problems?
Just to be fair, the guy`s been great the last two weeks...especially against Carlton. It was a great feeling to see the ball in Lloyd`s hands in the F50 and once again feel confident it would be sailing straight through the middle.