Cousins Arrested

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

lozza89 wrote:I just want to know, why was the arrested with no top on???
It was hot and Ben wanted to show off his new inks... Suppose he could use the pix to get a gig with Manpower now that his career is down the bogger... What a waste of talent.

:roll:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

This guy is a sad case, no wonder Judd was planning his move away from the Eagles 12 months ago.

Wasnt Cousins with Mainwaring only hours before Mainwaring allegedly died from drug related issues??

Daniel Chick's sudden retirement now makes a lot of sense!!!

As far as Cousins goes its 'Gone Daddy Gone'

Wouldnt it be sweet if Carlton took him in the PSD
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Windy_Hill wrote:Wasnt Cousins with Mainwaring only hours before Mainwaring allegedly died from drug related issues??
Your point being?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I've said enough on Footy Goss(http://www.footygoss.com) tonight.Time for BEDDIE BYES.

I will say this - One just shakes one's head that he's found himself in the news for the WRONG REASONS,...YET AGAIN.

So,I guess you're all in agreeance with PATRICK SMITH and CAROLINE WILSON this time,ehhh?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

AnarchicBomber wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Wasnt Cousins with Mainwaring only hours before Mainwaring allegedly died from drug related issues??
Your point being?
I reckon that might be under investigation as well.
Essendunny
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

ealesy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
Megan wrote:I actually feel for Ben. This is a difficult time for him, after Mainwaring, that may have thrown a massive spanner in his rehab. I realise he's a tool of the highest order, but I do feel for him. I also think WC should sack him if he's found guilty of anything... protect the brand.
I dont. He has had more help than most drug addicts and for what? If I had a drug problem, I bet my employer wont fork out $60k to send me to Malibu to get re-hab. And he was only their for 6 weeks, what sort of re-hab is that anyway?

I bet just about everybody on this board has either experimented with drugs or at least been offered them. Its easy to say no.
No and no, and yes it is. However, I do expect that I'm in the minority of people my age (25), to have neither experimented or been offered drugs.
It is easy to say no, but it's also amazingly easy to find yourself in a situation where you've said yes for whatever reason and all of a sudden your life has turned to shit.

I hope he gets the help he needs and gets his life back on track somehow.
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

What drug was found in his car? Was it owned by the 2 girls who were in the car with him? We don't know what drug it was yet.

The bigger issue to me is that he refused a drug test. That's unforgivable.

I just feel really sorry for his family who went through all the shit early in the year and now it's all back. His parents seem like great people.

I've been offered before and refused. Had a joint or 2 over the years but wouldn't have had any of that since I was 21.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

bomberdonnie wrote:The story says that he was pulled over due to his driving... Wonder how long Major Crime agencies have been doing traffic patrol.
Exactly right.

One thinks there is more to this story than has been released yet.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:The story says that he was pulled over due to his driving... Wonder how long Major Crime agencies have been doing traffic patrol.
Exactly right.

One thinks there is more to this story than has been released yet.
Most definitely.
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Read something about it being an illegal anti-depression drug rather than anything illicit per-se but don't take that as gospel.

Personally I haven't touched anything for years but there's few things that I haven't tried at some stage over the journey... all in moderation.

One thing that I can say from experience is that if you're hanging out with a group of people that are all into party drugs it's hard not to get involved and it's even harder to change the group's behaviour. It's not so much the individual buzz that draws you in but the collective feeling.

If he was still hanging around in the same scene and associating with drug users he was always unlikely to stay away from it for long.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

andrewb wrote:Read something about it being an illegal anti-depression drug rather than anything illicit per-se but don't take that as gospel.

Personally I haven't touched anything for years but there's few things that I haven't tried at some stage over the journey... all in moderation.

One thing that I can say from experience is that if you're hanging out with a group of people that are all into party drugs it's hard not to get involved and it's even harder to change the group's behaviour. It's not so much the individual buzz that draws you in but the collective feeling.

If he was still hanging around in the same scene and associating with drug users he was always unlikely to stay away from it for long.
Snap. I gave up all my illegal vices about two years ago, and there's still times and places where I know there's going to be that kind of thing going on, and I decide not to go. It's incredibly hard to still see the same people you used to do that kind of thing with, and go to the same places you used to do them and not feel the temptation.

It's a very easy trap to fall into, and it's a very hard habit to break.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Filthy wrote:I am sorry but I don't get it.

Its been a while since I was single but having the ability to have a drink, having a good job, playing footy, little trouble "picking up" as a "normal" bloke doesn't hold a candle to an AFL player.

Consider say Hirdy:

- gifted player like Cousins.

- therefore highly paid like Cousins

- smart enough to invest as well as play footy. Cousins?

- not ugly enough to not be able to get a chick...a real looker (and smart...Lawyer)....Cousins?

Why the drugs? Whats the appeal? Got me f..ked. :(

What a waste.
Comparisons are somewhat pointless given that the human brain and mind are so infinitely complex. Factor in to that the varying history and circumstances different people find themselves in and you begin to understand that no two individuals can really be said to becut from the same cloth. James Hird and Ben Cousins are both terrific footballers but that's about where the commonalities end on any level.

Let's just be thankful that the shy boy from the A.C.T. wore a red and black guernsey!
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I think we should just start playing the blame game like our politicians have taught us in the past.

Can't anyone take bloody responsibility for their own actions anymore??

West Coast Eagles have much to explain. They need a good hard look at themselves also. Players flatlining overseas, players in the underworld mafia, players on illicit drugs, the same players winning brownlow medals and premierships. Who's to say the coaching staff and admin aren't in on the whole deal? Surely they mustn't think it's a big deal for this to happen in their club?

No compassion is necessary for such scumbags.
We play by the rules, so should they.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

See, that's where your wrong. At least two people on here (myself included) have admitted to doing similar things in the past (Though I must admit I would never have driven under the influence, even if I could)

I wasn't in the public eye, so I had the chance to get my life back together, without losing my job, my family being dragged through the media and any future career I have being completely stuffed.

The rules are different for these guys, and we need to accept that.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

You can't compare apples and oranges, and comparing the lifestyles of Joe Blow to an elite AFL player with disposible income, the media in their face and the public telling them they're God... that's different. I don't know their lifestyle and I'm not prepared to really judge them on things I know nothing about.

Incidently the ABC news reported it was believed to be valium he had on him - if he's gotten off ice, onto valium he's done a friggen good job in my books.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ben Cousins' contract has been officially terminated.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Have been very close to several drug addicts in my time. So I can sympathise severly with Ben big time, that said I'm still not sold why the hell he's been sacked. What in the world does him taking drugs have to do with his football ability?

I realise I will be the "black" sheep on this issue and I get that but footballers are no different to you and me. So why is him being involved with drugs being seen a bigger issue then the bloke down the road? I get the role model angle I really do but I'm still feeling sorry for the bloke. Drugs are a terrible thing.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Valium anyone?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

boncer34 wrote:Have been very close to several drug addicts in my time. So I can sympathise severly with Ben big time, that said I'm still not sold why the hell he's been sacked. What in the world does him taking drugs have to do with his football ability?
Because it was part of his contract upon his return to footy early this year. It's that simple.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:Have been very close to several drug addicts in my time. So I can sympathise severly with Ben big time, that said I'm still not sold why the hell he's been sacked. What in the world does him taking drugs have to do with his football ability?

I realise I will be the "black" sheep on this issue and I get that but footballers are no different to you and me. So why is him being involved with drugs being seen a bigger issue then the bloke down the road? I get the role model angle I really do but I'm still feeling sorry for the bloke. Drugs are a terrible thing.
I don't really want to get into an argument over a sensitive issue. But there are those who sympathise with drug addicts and there are those who don't. I don't. You may have had experiences with those that suffer the addiction, I have had experiences with those who suffer the carnage they cause.
Essendunny