Matthew Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Matthew Lloyd

Post by F111 »

BomberinJapan wrote:
If you get a chance please take a look at the contest in the Bombers pocket with 3 min left in the second quarter. Ball goes to ground, Lloydy gets ready to go in and pick it up, Campbell Brown beats him to it....and Lloydy takes a nice big sidestep rather than putting his head in and crunching him.
I noticed that.
The immediate thoughts I had went to the comments he made the previous Sunday when commenting on head high bumps. I wondered if he held up to avoid one, and hence a 2-3 week holiday. I'm sure it'd be something on his mind after the comments and investigation from the AFL.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

F111 wrote:
BomberinJapan wrote:
If you get a chance please take a look at the contest in the Bombers pocket with 3 min left in the second quarter. Ball goes to ground, Lloydy gets ready to go in and pick it up, Campbell Brown beats him to it....and Lloydy takes a nice big sidestep rather than putting his head in and crunching him.
I noticed that.
The immediate thoughts I had went to the comments he made the previous Sunday when commenting on head high bumps. I wondered if he held up to avoid one, and hence a 2-3 week holiday. I'm sure it'd be something on his mind after the comments and investigation from the AFL.
Actually that's a pretty fair point. Sad what the game is coming to.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Essendon: Lowest forward 50 entries in the comp at 44 per game. 8 of those are going to Lloyd who is converting over a quarter of those to goals with a total Goals contributed of over 3 game.

Almost half the times he gets it, we get a goal. With the worst delivery in the comp, he is 13th in the goal kicking.

Lloyd is not the problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:Essendon: Lowest forward 50 entries in the comp at 44 per game. 8 of those are going to Lloyd who is converting over a quarter of those to goals with a total Goals contributed of over 3 game.

Almost half the times he gets it, we get a goal. With the worst delivery in the comp, he is 13th in the goal kicking.

Lloyd is not the problem.
I don't know why you can't see when the guy is not playing well. You cannot expect every single entry to hit him on the chest. Just get the F****** thing like Lucas does when it hits the deck. If Lloyd's opponent can gather the ball and stream out of defence, then he can compete with him to prevent him from doing so. Lloyd pre 2006 and Lloyd post 2006 is not the same animal. He is having a shit season by anyone's standards. The worst delivery in the comp in 2006 was Carlton, which didn't stop Fevola winning the Coleman Medal.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He is not playing well by his lofty standards, which still makes him one of the best forwards in the comp and even in this slump he is STILL EFFECTIVE and shouldn't be copping the slagging he is.

Who did fevola have to compete with in 2006? The next best blue Was Betts who finished with 20 goals. Essendon have 3 other players currently sitting on 9 goals. We have a much different forward set up than Carlton did that year.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sismis wrote:He is not playing well by his lofty standards, which still makes him one of the best forwards in the comp and even in this slump he is STILL EFFECTIVE and shouldn't be copping the slagging he is.

Who did fevola have to compete with in 2006? The next best blue Was Betts who finished with 20 goals. Essendon have 3 other players currently sitting on 9 goals. We have a much different forward set up than Carlton did that year.
Which works out to 18 for the season.

Lloyd IS having a poor year. He has lacked competitiveness in a number of games and has provided little in terms of on field leadership.

After kicking 6 in round 1 and 5 (?) against Richmond, he has 15 goals from his other 7-8 games.

And on current form, he is not one of the best forwards in the comp. That title belongs with the likes of Franklin, Brown, Bradshaw & Fevola.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

swoodley wrote:
Sismis wrote:He is not playing well by his lofty standards, which still makes him one of the best forwards in the comp and even in this slump he is STILL EFFECTIVE and shouldn't be copping the slagging he is.

Lloyd IS having a poor year. He has lacked competitiveness in a number of games and has provided little in terms of on field leadership.

After kicking 6 in round 1 and 5 (?) against Richmond, he has 15 goals from his other 7-8 games.

And on current form, he is not one of the best forwards in the comp. That title belongs with the likes of Franklin, Brown, Bradshaw & Fevola.
Franklin is on the end of Croad/Mitchell etc
Brown/Bradshaw are on the end of Power, Black
Fevola gets his ball from stevens and Judd.

Lloyd? he puts up with balls over his head, at his ankles and lobbed in out of his reach from a changing array of 1st and 2nd year juniors learning their game.

I think lloyd is still playing exceptionally well. when he gets the chances he grabs them with two hands.

I think perhaps he is a little slower but otherwise he is going pretty well.

Valid point re: Fevola, but Fev is in the peak of his career.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:
swoodley wrote:

Franklin is on the end of Croad/Mitchell etc
Brown/Bradshaw are on the end of Power, Black
Fevola gets his ball from stevens and Judd.

Lloyd? he puts up with balls over his head, at his ankles and lobbed in out of his reach from a changing array of 1st and 2nd year juniors learning their game.

I think lloyd is still playing exceptionally well. when he gets the chances he grabs them with two hands.

I think perhaps he is a little slower but otherwise he is going pretty well.

Valid point re: Fevola, but Fev is in the peak of his career.
Ever notice how Buddy still gathers ground balls, dodges, weaves and snaps goals......he even gets the crumbs off packs!

Not all of Buddy's goals come from pinpoint passes on the chest.
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

tom9779 wrote:
swoodley wrote:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you seriously telling me that you haven't noticed that every single fukcing time Lloyd gets beaten in a marking contest these days, his natural reaction isn't to put in a second effort and attack the ball or ball carrier again, it's to whip his head around a beg for the free kick from the umpires.

Needs to stop playing for the f****** maggots whistle and actually play the f****** ball far more than he currently is. A second effort every now and again would be lovely, for f*** sake if a bloke as big as David Hille can put them in left, right a centre, then surely Lloydy can put on at least a couple of times a game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

And another thing for those of you hellbent on blaming the midfield for Lloyd's woes, I hope you are the first to congratulate the midfield when he does kick a bag of 5 or more. It will be only because they pinpointed their passes right on his chest and no other reason. That's the logic you're all using.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:And another thing for those of you hellbent on blaming the midfield for Lloyd's woes, I hope you are the first to congratulate the midfield when he does kick a bag of 5 or more. It will be only because they pinpointed their passes right on his chest and no other reason. That's the logic you're all using.
So you're saying 8 passes to Lloyd a game has nothing to do with how many goals he's kicked or how effective he's been.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Ever notice how Buddy still gathers ground balls, dodges, weaves and snaps goals......he even gets the crumbs off packs!

Yeah Franklin's a genius. I hate it that he ended up at hawthorn.

I hope we find a player of his ability in the next year or two with our draft picks.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

tom9779 wrote:

Yeah Franklin's a genius. I hate it that he ended up at hawthorn.

I hope we find a player of his ability in the next year or two with our draft picks.
GUMBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:And another thing for those of you hellbent on blaming the midfield for Lloyd's woes, I hope you are the first to congratulate the midfield when he does kick a bag of 5 or more. It will be only because they pinpointed their passes right on his chest and no other reason. That's the logic you're all using.
So you're saying 8 passes to Lloyd a game has nothing to do with how many goals he's kicked or how effective he's been.
It all combines together. Naturally, if poor delivery is coming in, it makes his job harder - not impossible. I'm not ignoring the fact that he is on the end of some cruddy disposals, but I am also not ignoring the fact that he is struggling to win one on one contests - be it in the air or on the ground. It doesn't matter to me if he only kicks 2 goals. As long as he provides opportunities for others around him i.e hard shepherding, crunching tackles, out bustling opponents - the physical things he used to do so very well when in full flight. These things have gone from his game of late. If he only kicks 2, and creates 2 or 3 for someone else, then JOB DONE. There is a shared responsibility & accountablility with the midfield and Lloyd as skipper. As I say, if it's all the midfield's fault for his lack of form, then they should be congratulated when he is back in form.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Memories. You'll notice that in Lloyd's Magic moments, not much was at the end of passes "on the chest". A lot of it came from strength, positioning, aerial / reflex ability and a preference to playing from behind. A number of factors that have eroded this ability have been the sheizenhausen hands in the back rule, his hamstring injury / confidence in his body, and a bad habit of not keeping his feet. One hopes he can look back at the way he used to play and just come out and play on instinct rather than thinking he has to do "the captain thing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9oI2G4uUnI
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:Memories. You'll notice that in Lloyd's Magic moments, not much was at the end of passes "on the chest". A lot of it came from strength, positioning, aerial / reflex ability and a preference to playing from behind. A number of factors that have eroded this ability have been the sheizenhausen hands in the back rule, his hamstring injury / confidence in his body, and a bad habit of not keeping his feet. One hopes he can look back at the way he used to play and just come out and play on instinct rather than thinking he has to do "the captain thing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9oI2G4uUnI
Not to mention confidence!!!

I seriously hope he gets back to that soon
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Well tonight was a return to a bit of vintage Lloyd form, even if a lot of it was further away from goal. Kept his feet at contests, fought for the ball at ground level, provided hard 2nd and 3rd efforts, imposed his strong body on his opponent, out-witted his man on more than one occasion, stamped his authority on the goal emphatically with that grab and goal. He was pumped.

The leadership in the huddle was evident as well. He was willing them to play for their jumper. To play with their hearts and dig deep for the club. He led from the front tonight. Was outstanding.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Yeah I did like it when he was pulling at his jumper and saying HEART!!! I liked that a lot
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

I'm hoping tonight's game is the kick start in confidence Lloyd has needed.

One thing I noticed after he took the big grab (let's not get too carried away - it may as well have been a step-ladder under him!), he looked more confident, looked like he was a real presence and kept his feet at every contest.

Very pleased to see - hopefully he can build on it.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

How good was that :D :D :D :D

Great game and tremendous leadership from the captain tonight. =D> =D> =D>

And that mark in the lst quarter was sensational vingertje vingertje vingertje
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012