Our best 22 if we had full list to choose from

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Our best 22 if we had full list to choose from

Post by andrewb »

I'm finding it interesting that everyone is saying that Lloyd should be CHF and Lucas FF after half a dozen games... Do we think this is a permanent move for Lloyd or is Knights just waiting for Lucas to get his engine back?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote:I'm finding it interesting that everyone is saying that Lloyd should be CHF and Lucas FF after half a dozen games... Do we think this is a permanent move for Lloyd or is Knights just waiting for Lucas to get his engine back?
Lloyd will never just be a FF ever again. Lucas will also roam around. The plan is to get guys like Gumby and Neagle time at the key posts.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sismis wrote:Keeping to the stats YOU think are important. By your reckoning, Slatts is less than one 1% and 1 error with the same frees against and one is a good defender and the other you hope wont be in our best 22?

Can't fault your other anology though, I am unashamedly biased and prone to inexhaustable benefit of the doubt. Particularly in relation to the number 13 it would appear.
Where have i ever said Slatts is a good defender? Never have; in fact i authored a thread about two months ago in which i was obviously annoyed with him because he kept giving away clumsy free kicks (something he has improved on a lot over the last 8 weeks). I just think he's a better defender then NLM. If i wanted to stop an opposition forward kicking goals, i'd put Slatts on him every time before NLM.

Re: me not wanting NLM in our best 22 by 2010, again, re-read what i originally wrote; i specifically stated that i don't want him in our best 22 by then if he doesn't improve. I see NLM as one of only 2 middle-aged guys on our list who hasn't appreciably improved in the last 3 years, the other one being Lovett. All the other guys in the same age bracket including Welsh, McPhee, Hille and McVeigh have. NLM would be a good 25th-28th player in a top 4 team, and i want us to be a top 4 team (or at least close to a top 4 team) in 2010, hence i can't see him in our best 22 by then if he doesn't improve.
Umm here.....
jimmyc1985 wrote:
tom9779 wrote:I don't read stats, I just watch footy games. maybe thats my problem.
I tend to do both, Tom. So i've watched NLM and made up my own mind and agree with you, and i also know that this year, he's ranked 8th in our side for average errors, 4th for average free kicks against, and contrary to above opinions, he's only ranked 12th for average 1%ers (well behind our better defenders like Fletcher, Ryder and Slattery, who are ranked 1st, 3rd and 4th in average 1%ers for the EFC).

I guess NLM's 1% efforts are just better than all the others :roll:.
If you're comparing NLM to Fletch and Ryder, then yes he is going to suffer from camparison to guys who are obviously elite defenders. NLM is good back six player who defends well and does the requisite rebounding for a back flank.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sismis wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sismis wrote:Keeping to the stats YOU think are important. By your reckoning, Slatts is less than one 1% and 1 error with the same frees against and one is a good defender and the other you hope wont be in our best 22?

Can't fault your other anology though, I am unashamedly biased and prone to inexhaustable benefit of the doubt. Particularly in relation to the number 13 it would appear.
Where have i ever said Slatts is a good defender
Umm here.....
jimmyc1985 wrote:
tom9779 wrote:I don't read stats, I just watch footy games. maybe thats my problem.
(well behind our better defenders like Fletcher, Ryder and Slattery, who are ranked 1st, 3rd and 4th in average 1%ers for the EFC).
If you're comparing NLM to Fletch and Ryder, then yes he is going to suffer from camparison to guys who are obviously elite defenders. NLM is good back six player who defends well and does the requisite rebounding for a back flank.
Are you f****** stupid, or just trying to wind me up? I'll asume it's the latter. Just in case it's the former, let me step you through it nice and slowly:
- I said Slattery, Fletch and Ryder are better defenders than NLM.
- I did not say Slatts is a good defender.

Got it? Just in case you haven't, i'll throw in an analogy. I think Ryan O'Connor is a better ruckman than Jason Laycock, however, i do not think Ryan O'Connor is or was a good ruckman.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Yup I'm stoopid for thinking that: "well behind our better defenders like Fletcher, Ryder and Slattery" meant you thought Slatts was one of our "better defenders". Better, being an adjective as well as a comparitive. Not to mention the fact that you included Fletch and Ryder in your statement. Unless of course you don't rate them as defenders either.....
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

jesus guys
I just started this topic as some thought for friendly discussion and banter. no need for all out war!! we are not and never will totaly agree with each other. hell - my best essendon 22 almost changes every week!
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Sirvass36 wrote:jesus guys
I just started this topic as some thought for friendly discussion and banter. no need for all out war!! we are not and never will totaly agree with each other. hell - my best essendon 22 almost changes every week!
No wonder I get depressed thinking about the possibility of the world agreeing to act on carbon emissions!!!.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I can't speak for Jimmy but i'm pretty sure this is just heated debate. There's nothing malicious in it we just have different points ofveiw.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »