Gumbleton Injured

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Re: Gumbleton is a disgrace

Post by Western Red »

Gatsid wrote:
andrewb wrote:I'd wait until next year before you judge the new fitness team. This year will be spent trying to fix the inherited problems - the only players you can reasonably judge Cormack's performance on are this year's recruits.
Exactly and Hurley has already had a Gall Stone!!! What the hell is Cormack doing?!?!?! :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHA =D> =D> =D>
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I would probably get rid of him at the end of the year, his body can not hold up even after half a PS game. What I can't understand is how come he has only contracted these injuries while being at Essendon? Surely he didn't come to us injured did he?

Don' we do medical tests or review medical history on potential draftees? It shits me that every other club has top 10 picks who can slot straight into a team yet in the last 10 years, we have had 1 (Ryder).
Our poor drafting is hurting us significantly and we could soon turn into a Melbourne, languishing at the bottom of the ladder for 3-5 years.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

2 more points on Gumbleton I will make.

1. He is not another C Johns, as he has shown glimpses of real talent in his few minutes of game time. Johns was massive, yet quick and still struggled to get shots on goal at full forward. Plus at one stage there was talk that Johns' hip would not allow him to ever play again. Gumby has had a terrible run with injuries, but nothing as serious as what Johns had.

2. I wouldn't be whinging about how we could have got Selwood. I doubt anyone on our list will be as good a midfielder as he will, BUT key forwards are so important. Look at Geelong in last year's GF: no good key forwards and they lost, despite 62 inside 50s (been mentioned a fair bit recently with everyone else playing zones). And even though our midfielders won't be as good as Selwood, I think we have the makings of an excellent midfield group.

If Gumbleton turns out good, you'll all conveniently forget that you thought he should be "farked off right now".
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

On the footy show now they are explaining Gumby;s injury. Its a significant bulged disc which is irritating nerves in his back and hamstrings. They can either go conservative and give him 3-4 weeks of rest OR make him have back surgery and he will miss over 12 weeks..... :?

Things arent looking good for Gumbleton.

Apparently there was nothing wrong with Selwood's knee either... :( before the draft.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Good luck Gumby
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

The new Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Do you think the club should go conservatively with him or just give him the surgery while he is still young and able to recover??

It will put a lot more pressure on Neagle to have a solid season now.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Do you think the club should go conservatively with him or just give him the surgery while he is still young and able to recover??

It will put a lot more pressure on Neagle to have a solid season now.
f***!

That's all I can say. This aint no "growing pain" type bullshit, this is a full on career threatening problem. I'm about as shitted off as I could be. Absolutely disillusioned.
Essendunny
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Absolutely disallusioned, pissed off ----- you name it. His new name should be "Courtney" Gumbleton. However looking forward, do whatever it takes & if that dos'nt work--------- send him off the same way as Courtney J.

Memo Recruiting staff: NO MORE CRIPPLES & GUYS WHO CAN'T PUT 2 GAMES TOGETHER!!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Bradley, Gumbleton, McAllister....they're all starting to make Mark Bolton appear like an inspired selection
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Calm down kids.

At least we know exactly what is wrong with him now. No doubt this bulged disc would also have been contributing to his ongoing hamstring pains.

We fix it, he moves on and plays 5-6 games at the end of the year.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Apparently there was nothing wrong with Selwood's knee either... :( before the draft.

Not from what I've heard. From what I've read he had four knee operations in two years before the draft, and missed all but something like 3 games in the TAC Cup.

In terms of Gumbleton, how is 3-4 weeks going to fix the problem...won't it just mean he might then be able to play 2-3 weeks before he starts suffering hamstring tightness again.

In the long term wouldn't it be better for him to have the operation and 12 weeks off now, he could come back and play a couple of games towards the end of the year, and be cherry ripe for pre-season training next year.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

double post
Last edited by ealesy on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Bite the bullet, do the op. Otherwise this will haunt the kid for his entire career. He is worth it.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

rockhole wrote:Bite the bullet, do the op. Otherwise this will haunt the kid for his entire career. He is worth it.

What career,? he gets the op, it will be 3 years(2006 draft -> end 09/start 10) since drafting before he might get a look in at senior level.

Big choices surround this bloke next couple of years.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Do the Op. He is worth persisting with. Who knows how long this has been going on. As mentioned could have been contributing to his problems for some time.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Every time he's gotten on the park he's looked the goods. We've got Lucas, Lloyd and Neagle - we don't need him this year. We're actually protecting the kid by not playing him.

Do the op, hit the gym, eat a lot of steak and see you later in the year.

We had more problems when we were trying to work out how to squeeze Gumby, Lloyd, Lucas and Neagle in the same team. Playing four talls would have been an embarrassment.

MODS - can we please change the thread title?
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

andrewb wrote: Do the op, hit the gym, eat a lot of steak and see you later in the year.
This sounds about right to me.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

God some of you bloke would have stuggled back in the old VFL days, where it was common for bloke to play 70-80 reserves games before even getting a look in at the seniors..

Judging by some of the response in here, you would have thought Michael Tuck was a bust after his first 3-4 seasons.

The difference here being that Gumbleton hasn't been able to get out on the ground for the Reserves, does it suck shit, hell yes.

Is it the end of his career or the world someone of you obviously must believe it is? Hell no.

It's unforuntate it's happening, but I'll take Gumbleton missing 3 odd seasons now at the start of his career, when his output for the seniors was always going to be relatively minor, compared to a situation similar to Jame Hird where we lost him for 3 years when he was at his absolute peak.

We have Hird in 99, the simple fact is we win the premiership.

So have Gumbleton missing most of the season to get him right in the long term is fine with me, particularly if it means we don't lose him during the 2012 season and have it cost us a flag.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

ealesy wrote:God some of you bloke would have stuggled back in the old VFL days, where it was common for bloke to play 70-80 reserves games before even getting a look in at the seniors..

Judging by some of the response in here, you would have thought Michael Tuck was a bust after his first 3-4 seasons.

The difference here being that Gumbleton hasn't been able to get out on the ground for the Reserves, does it suck shit, hell yes.

Is it the end of his career or the world someone of you obviously must believe it is? Hell no.

It's unforuntate it's happening, but I'll take Gumbleton missing 3 odd seasons now at the start of his career, when his output for the seniors was always going to be relatively minor, compared to a situation similar to Jame Hird where we lost him for 3 years when he was at his absolute peak.

We have Hird in 99, the simple fact is we win the premiership.

So have Gumbleton missing most of the season to get him right in the long term is fine with me, particularly if it means we don't lose him during the 2012 season and have it cost us a flag.

Comparing Gumby to Sir James is a bit delusional isn't it? its terrible news that he is out, and the sentiment is appropriately shared.