Essendon's 2007 Draw

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Collingwood get 15 games at the G? That is just rediculous. And they travel interstate twice, while we travel interstate 5 times!! They also have the most friday night games in the comp. I thought those games were given to teams who finished well the last year, and i thought that would of gone to the Doggies. And even though Sydney didn't win, they don't get one, not one friday night game. Great way to promote the game boys. I'm sure the Doggies would of gotten a much bigger t.v. audience than from Collingwood as people actually LIKE to watch the dogs play. They aren't even going to be played on the Eddie channel any more, so why do we still have to put up with them?
f****** Collingwood get everything handed to them on a silver platter every single year!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I don't think too much of that draw, especially the Hird issue in Rd22 :( , but I am also in the camp that is accepting of it as our turn.

In the 1990's I had the opinion that Essendon did poorly when everyone expected them to perform, and vice versa. Set the boys a challenge, set the club a challenge and they just might respond above expectations.

Here's hoping. :|
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I've honestly never heard such a bunch of sooks in my life. Where did our so called 'cushy' draw get us this season? - bloody nowhere.

And whingeing about Collingwood's easier draw - well there is only one way to fix that. Get back our title of being Victoria's Number 1 team by getting above them on the ladder & drawing bigger crowds than them. Then the AFL will have no option but to give us the easier draw in the following year.

I remember fondly back to 2000, when no-one whinged about the unfair draw, the umpires, the tribunal, the favouritism to interstate teams, the AFL, our fitness staff, our coaching staff (I'm immune from any criticism on this one :wink: ) etc.

Winners are grinners, losers bloody whinge.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

well it is obvious essendon need to make the finals in 2007.

To give Hird an MCG farewell in his last game.
DONISBEST
Top Up Player

Post by DONISBEST »

ps: Would it be possible for the AFL to organise "Scott Mclaren" to umpire
this match also....seems fitting under the circumstances.
This would really cap of possibly Jimmie's last game.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

tom9779 wrote:well it is obvious essendon need to make the finals in 2007.

Seriously, you guys are crazy if you think Hird will play his last game at Subiaco.

The only way he will play that match is if we are a chance of making the finals. More likely than not though, he'll hang up the boots a few weeks early and farewell at the MCG vs Carlton (20) or Richmond (21). Or who know, given his luck with injuries, it might even be earlier.

I would be 99% sure he would not choose to play his last game in Perth if he didn't have to. Hold off on booking those flights, guys.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Staggy wrote:
tom9779 wrote:well it is obvious essendon need to make the finals in 2007.

Seriously, you guys are crazy if you think Hird will play his last game at Subiaco.

The only way he will play that match is if we are a chance of making the finals. More likely than not though, he'll hang up the boots a few weeks early and farewell at the MCG vs Carlton (20) or Richmond (21). Or who know, given his luck with injuries, it might even be earlier.

I would be 99% sure he would not choose to play his last game in Perth if he didn't have to. Hold off on booking those flights, guys.
Why would Hird not play the round 22 game? The guy is the ultimate professional and he will want to play every last minute of football he can squeeze out of himself.

So it's not in Melbourne...ever heard the expression "shit happens"

If he's fit Hird will play and probably go out like the star he is (and I'll be there to see it)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I would have though Hird's last game at every venue will be a chance for the fans th farewell him.

Obviously the biggest farewell can be reserved for his last Melbourne Game
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Actually there is one thing I dont like about this draw and its not regarding us in particular.

Why is it, the AFL tries to balance the interstate trips for clubs which have SOLD their games interstate. I dont understand how clubs like the Hawks, Kangaroos, Melbourne and the Dogs have just 4-6 interstate games despite selling off 2-3 of there home games.

If that is standard practice then damb we should sell off 2-3 of our home games and still end up with 5 trips interstate but with an extra 1 mil in the coffers. At least then we can choose brisbane rather than WC as our destination.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

CameronClayton wrote: And whingeing about Collingwood's easier draw - well there is only one way to fix that. Get back our title of being Victoria's Number 1 team by getting above them on the ladder & drawing bigger crowds than them. Then the AFL will have no option but to give us the easier draw in the following year.
That's actually true, on reflection. As Rohan Conolly pointed out in today's Age, the reason why the maggots get so many games at the 'G is because they pull big crowds, and therefore all the impoverished Victorian clubs (Bulldogs, Melbourne, Kangaroos, Richmond, Geelong etc) demand from the AFL that they play Collingwood at the MCG in their home games.

Interesting also that Peter Jackson (club CEO) and Conolly (an Essendon-supporting journo) made nothing of the fact that we aren't playing in Victoria in round 22 to see off Hird into retirement. Perhaps we did all overreact to the fact that he's scheduled to play in Perth for his final match.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

I always thought the draw was written up in round 15 and they took the ladder from that point of the season to determine the next years draw. How then do we get the toughest draw in the competition as we would of been last at that time of the season. Collingwood get an easy draw AGAIN.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Makaveli wrote:I always thought the draw was written up in round 15 and they took the ladder from that point of the season to determine the next years draw. How then do we get the toughest draw in the competition as we would of been last at that time of the season. Collingwood get an easy draw AGAIN.
They stopped doing it that way a long time ago. It's now done for the sake of the TV networks.

I dont care about how hard our draw is, we'll be rubbish anyway. I am mightily peeved about round 22 in Perth though. I wouldnt put it past them as pay back for the yellow arm bands.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Makaveli wrote:I always thought the draw was written up in round 15 and they took the ladder from that point of the season to determine the next years draw. How then do we get the toughest draw in the competition as we would of been last at that time of the season. Collingwood get an easy draw AGAIN.
No. The AFL use a new software system, and the idea of doing the draw as at round 15 is no longer applicable due to the unfair results it generated in the past:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 90333.html
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Does anybody reckon that Adelaide will be the force they were this year, next year?

They have no ruckman and hentschell will be out for the whole year.

While they still have a good list, they may not be top4 material or they power they were. Their midfield is strong, but they have no forwards at all. Roo plays up forward but at 34, you have to wonder how many games he will play. Welsh is hot and cold and mostly injured and McGregor is a hack.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Im going to Perth. God help any WCE fan that boos Hird off the ground if it is indeed his last game.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

lozza89 wrote:Collingwood get 15 games at the G? That is just rediculous. And they travel interstate twice, while we travel interstate 5 times!! They also have the most friday night games in the comp. I thought those games were given to teams who finished well the last year, and i thought that would of gone to the Doggies. And even though Sydney didn't win, they don't get one, not one friday night game. Great way to promote the game boys. I'm sure the Doggies would of gotten a much bigger t.v. audience than from Collingwood as people actually LIKE to watch the dogs play. They aren't even going to be played on the Eddie channel any more, so why do we still have to put up with them?
f****** Collingwood get everything handed to them on a silver platter every single year!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
15 GAMES AT THE MCG FOR COLLINGWOOD!!!!

I think Eddie's been giving the boys at AFL house a few under the table favours!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

This is professional sport - we should play whoever, wherever - and do everything we can to win.

Great clubs, great teams overcome challenges - not whinge about them.

As for Collingwood - who cares what their draw is - ANZAC day is the only time I want to see them play.

I can't wait to see the boys over here in Perth twice this season - when was the last time that happened (ever?)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I don't know why it is so hard to figure out why Collingwood has 15 games at the MCG. It is their "home" ground so you'd expect 11 are given. They also play "away" games at the MCG against the Kangaroos, Richmond, Essendon and Melbourne. That makes 15. If we still had the MCG as our home ground we would probably have the same deal.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I would have though Hird's last game at every venue will be a chance for the fans th farewell him.

Obviously the biggest farewell can be reserved for his last Melbourne Game

good point.

considering next year we play every interstate match bar Brisbane, I would say QLD bomber fans are the most unlucky.

maybe we will be going up to the GABBA for the pre season cup
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Last year was a brilliant draw (espescially with hindsight), so this is just turn about. Don't think we'll be going anywhere next year anyway, so the timing isn't so bad.

If you want to have the real cynical view, it could be good as it improves our chances of only winning 4 games despite playing ok, which would give us a priority pick before the first round.