Jay Neagle

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Jay Neagle

Post by andrewb »

Lloyd (particularly) and Lucas were machines on the training track since before they came to the club. Neagle was a big podgy bastard with the training ethic of a mule.

However, In terms of raw talent and physical capacity (I'm talking potential here, rather than actual) I have a feeling that Neagle is at least the equal of both of them. From memory Quinn and Cormack were both astounded by Jay's capabilities as a power athlete.

It will be interesting to see what he can do with a full preseason because he was actually chasing, harassing and tackling deep into the fourth quarter against Adelaide which I've never seen before.

Lloyd and Neagle fighting for the square is good for the team and for both players providing we can get Lloydy's head right. He needs to get back to being a greedy bastard rather than a captain who's worrying about everyone else.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

[quote="ealesy"]Damn straight you're going to get howled down.

quote]

Thought that would get a response!!

I really want to see Neagle succeed. But stats of 7.1 possessions per game and a return of 1.6 goals does not get me as excited as young Hurley for instance. It's great that he crashes packs etc, but he is there for one main reason and that is to score goals.

I am surprised that so many are prepared to cut this guy so much slack whereas other players regularly cop it in the neck.

Happy to reserve judgement until he does a full pre season and hopefully a Jobe type off season development program.

I may be flogging a dead horse here, but in regards to Laycock, when I see a guy of his height take one grabbers outside 50 and slot the goal with perfect hand/foot coordination, I just cannot write him off without all avenues being explored.

And don't forget, he took out J. Brown in a marking contest last year.

If he is so hopeless, how come the club has hung on to him???
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

rockhole wrote:
ealesy wrote:Damn straight you're going to get howled down.

quote]

Thought that would get a response!!

I really want to see Neagle succeed. But stats of 7.1 possessions per game and a return of 1.6 goals does not get me as excited as young Hurley for instance. It's great that he crashes packs etc, but he is there for one main reason and that is to score goals.

I am surprised that so many are prepared to cut this guy so much slack whereas other players regularly cop it in the neck.

Happy to reserve judgement until he does a full pre season and hopefully a Jobe type off season development program.

I may be flogging a dead horse here, but in regards to Laycock, when I see a guy of his height take one grabbers outside 50 and slot the goal with perfect hand/foot coordination, I just cannot write him off without all avenues being explored.

And don't forget, he took out J. Brown in a marking contest last year.

If he is so hopeless, how come the club has hung on to him???
Indeed.

By any measure Laycock has shown more than Neagle. With the talls we'll have available next year, he'd want to kick some goals early or he gawwwwwwwwwwwwwn.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

hes only 21!