McPhee walks out

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Re: McPhee walks out

Post by bombercol »

swoodley wrote:
Western Red wrote:A few closest Richmond supporters on here! Very quick to turn on your own! [-X [-X [-X

I thought he was a good contributor for the club and he has made a decision about his future and feels he has better options elsewhere - sorry but can any of you say you wouldn't put your family and career first?

I am disappointed to see him go but I am not going to bag him out! The issue about compensation is a club/player management issue - not McPhees and perhaps he was sharp enough to see that even if he signed the 2 year deal he was going to be pushed out by the younger players coming through and would not even be in our 22 if/when we push for a flag. So he takes the best option for himself, his future and his family.

Thanks for your efforts McPhee! All the best at Freo!
Well said Red...it's good to see someone else can keep their perspective on this matter.
I agree that a professional AFL player, who has a limited time span in the big league, is entitled to put family first. No problems with that.

I also believe McPhee has made a contribution to the club since he's been here, although I have been frustrated with him in recent seasons as I think he was a better player than what he gave on field. To be pushed out by youth only has a bearing on how well a player is playing.....only the other day Knights was saying Fletcher could have another three years in him. Fletcher is not about to be forced out by age because he is still playing amazing footy. So if McPhee in 2011, the last year of his proposed new EFC contract was playing good football, he would find that the club would invite him to keep playing beyond his next contract. So really the ball is in his court and I would've been extremely disappointed if EFC bent over and gave him a 3 year deal because his form during his current contract did not warrant it.

So if I can be the devil's advocate here, Freo have done what we did to intice Williams from the Dawks. We however did it during a trade period so in the end Hawthorn was compensated for this loss (it sealed the Burgoyne deal). I have no problem in giving Williams a 3 yr deal because we had a need, felt this player could address that need and we had to give the player incentive to come to us.

We don't know how long this has been cooking for. Chris Bond said on the news that Freo and McPhee's managment have been close and held a lot of discussions about recruiting this player.

Freo and Essendon have also had some history during trade time too. So it may have already been decided to do it this way for some time, to ensure the deal instead of possible red tape during the trade period with everyone getting the shits, possible interence to deal from team mates personally trying to make him stay or possible interference from other clubs...we don't know.

If this was planned prior to trade time, Then I'd be very pissed off with player McPhee as the deal would've been done knowing that EFC would not receive compensation for the loss (and I would've considered a second round pick would've been in order). If this was the case I would think its selfish on the player's part given what EFC has put into this player.

Paul Hamilton said that McPhee was not interested at staying at Windy Hill, so this situation could've very well been carefully planned.

Adam McPhee...thanks for your efforts but don't expect a pleasant return to Melbourne round 2 against us.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Western Red wrote:A few closest Richmond supporters on here! Very quick to turn on your own! [-X [-X [-X

I thought he was a good contributor for the club and he has made a decision about his future and feels he has better options elsewhere - sorry but can any of you say you wouldn't put your family and career first?

I am disappointed to see him go but I am not going to bag him out! The issue about compensation is a club/player management issue - not McPhees and perhaps he was sharp enough to see that even if he signed the 2 year deal he was going to be pushed out by the younger players coming through and would not even be in our 22 if/when we push for a flag. So he takes the best option for himself, his future and his family.

Well said Red...it's good to see someone else can keep their perspective on this matter.
I agree that a professional AFL player, who has a limited time span in the big league, is entitled to put family first. No problems with that.

I also believe McPhee has made a contribution to the club since he's been here, although I have been frustrated with him in recent seasons as I think he was a better player than what he gave on field. To be pushed out by youth only has a bearing on how well a player is playing.....only the other day Knights was saying Fletcher could have another three years in him. Fletcher is not about to be forced out by age because he is still playing amazing footy. So if McPhee in 2011, the last year of his proposed new EFC contract was playing good football, he would find that the club would invite him to keep playing beyond his next contract. So really the ball is in his court and I would've been extremely disappointed if EFC bent over and gave him a 3 year deal because his form during his current contract did not warrant it.

So if I can be the devil's advocate here, Freo have done what we did to intice Williams from the Dawks. We however did it during a trade period so in the end Hawthorn was compensated for this loss (it sealed the Burgoyne deal). I have no problem in giving Williams a 3 yr deal because we had a need, felt this player could address that need and we had to give the player incentive to come to us.

We don't know how long this has been cooking for. Chris Bond said on the news that Freo and McPhee's managment have been close and held a lot of discussions about recruiting this player.

Freo and Essendon have also had some history during trade time too. So it may have already been decided to do it this way for some time, to ensure the deal instead of possible red tape during the trade period with everyone getting the shits, possible interence to deal from team mates personally trying to make him stay or possible interference from other clubs...we don't know.

If this was planned prior to trade time, Then I'd be very pissed off with player McPhee as the deal would've been done knowing that EFC would not receive compensation for the loss (and I would've considered a second round pick would've been in order). If this was the case I would think its selfish on the player's part given what EFC has put into this player.

Paul Hamilton said that McPhee was not interested at staying at Windy Hill, so this situation could've very well been carefully planned.

Adam McPhee...thanks for your efforts but don't expect a pleasant return to Melbourne round 2 against us.
Gee, well said BC!

I couldn't be stuffed spending time putting a detailed reasoned response in regard to McPhee, but this is extremely well put and it has me applauding in agreement =D>
Essendunny
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

swoodley wrote:

I can tell you that you would agree with the people having a go at him if you knew what occured over the last few weeks. You would also think that is manager is an absolute tosser, although I think we already knew that. I have heard details from a very reliable source, whom I have no reason to doubt.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

I will say this.
Thankyou Mcphee for the hard years that you put in for the Essendon Football Club...
Even though you weren't a Champion You were serviceable and did do some good things...
But Hell you could also really stuff it up too...

Having said that, What you have done now to the Club that made you Well lets just say Karma will sort you out...
I also believe that this has been cooked up for ages - No intention whatsoever of staying and stringling the club along...

If this is the case Then you deserve everything that will come your way...
If Not then good luck at Freo... Enjoy your Mediocricy Club...
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Not surprised he has walked. Disappointed that he waited till after trade week to decide though, however, I am sure that there is more to this than just the contract.

Personally, without knowing the ins and outs of what has gone on, I think EFC did the right thing and I also don't / can't blame Captain Uncertainty for looking after his own interests.

Also, IMO, if a player is in negotiation for a new contract that is due to expire and a deal is not done prior to the end of trade week (i.e. re-signed, traded or delisted), the player should be prevented from negotiating with other clubs and then the first club to pick him gets him.

Maybe McPhee was hoping EFC would budge, but they didn't and wouldn't...as such, he held out for as long as he could with negotiations (which is fair enough), but it got to the point where he knew he was not going to his way, however, EFC have been prevented from all attempts at compensation through a trade (unlike Ball who requested the trade but couldn't get it over the line...)
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

It now appears, via an article in the Age this morning, that not only was he wanting a 3 year deal, but was telling Knighta that he insisted on playing in the midfield. Appears that this is something else that Freo has guaranteed him.

if that is the case, the guy is a total flake and the club has been spot on in telling him to piss off. I cannot wait for round 2 when we can all let Smokey know what high esteem we hold him in.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

To be fair, I think he played his best footy on a wing.

I distinctly remember during trade week the Dockers trying to get Lovett to nominate for the draft rather than trading with us. I wonder whether they might have had a word to McPhee as well.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

What's all this vitriol toward McPhee about?

He's got a better offer from another club so he's walked.

Considering how Lloyd was treated this year, and the older players at the club in general, who can blame him?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

gringo wrote:What's all this vitriol toward McPhee about?

Considering how Lloyd was treated this year, and the older players at the club in general, who can blame him?
The vitriol is because he walked out after trade week and as such we got nothing for him. If he wanted out, why didn't he tell the boss this two months ago?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Ossie wrote:

The vitriol is because he walked out after trade week and as such we got nothing for him. If he wanted out, why didn't he tell the boss this two months ago?
He didn't want out - he wanted a better offer.

Williams comes in and gets a 3 year deal, so any nonsense the club trots out about a "youth policy" is complete BS. McPhee is entirely within his rights to ask for a 3 year deal. Other clubs are prepared to offer him that hence that's the going market rate.

What's McPhee supposed to do, sit there and say "Oh sorry Essendon, you won't get anything for me now. Looks like I'll have to turn my back on financial security and accept your two deal offer after all."

Seriously people, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

gringo wrote: He didn't want out - he wanted a better offer.

Williams comes in and gets a 3 year deal, so any nonsense the club trots out about a "youth policy" is complete BS. McPhee is entirely within his rights to ask for a 3 year deal. Other clubs are prepared to offer him that hence that's the going market rate.

What's McPhee supposed to do, sit there and say "Oh sorry Essendon, you won't get anything for me now. Looks like I'll have to turn my back on financial security and accept your two deal offer after all."

He could have had that discussion months ago, clearly. In any case, if you want financial security, play well for two years and you'll get your third year. He wants a free ride.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Thierry 'Le C*nt' Henry > Adam McPhee
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

gringo wrote:
Ossie wrote:

As unusual as it is, I must say that I agree with you gringo....although it would have been better if we got something in exchange for losing him, the fact is that he made a choice based on what he thought was best for him....just as the club does when it delists players who want to stay.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Gringo from what I can gather (most info from Foggy on blitz) it seems that Essendon and McPhee had agreed in principle to a deal before he went overseas and Connors only put the pressure on once it became clear that they were prepared to make a 3yr offer to Ball (also in Connors stable).

McPhee had no issues with the money - he was going to be the 3rd best paid player at Essendon next year(!) and the 6th best paid player in 2011. He needed to play 30 rounds to get a guaranteed third year (down from an original 36). The sticking point was not the money. It was the conditions on the third year and that he wanted to play midfield (which Freo guaranteed) and we wanted him to keep playing the third tall role pinch hitting in the middle occasionally.

The guy is welcome to leave the club if he doesn't want to be here but as a result of him reneging on the agreement we:

1. Need to use pick #9 in the PSD because he made his call after draft positions were set in stone (we could probably have traded him for a 2nd or 3rd round ND pick or even used one of our later picks)
2. Might be up the shits with TPP (need to pay 92.5% of the cap)

He puts us in a shit position, he's walked out on his teammates and he's been a dodgy prick about it.

As Robson said, if you want to go, tell us before trade period and we can do some business. Otherwise, f*** off and watch your miserable career die at Freo.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

andrewb wrote:Gringo from what I can gather (most info from Foggy on blitz) it seems that Essendon and McPhee had agreed in principle to a deal before he went overseas and Connors only put the pressure on once it became clear that they were prepared to make a 3yr offer to Ball (also in Connors stable).

McPhee had no issues with the money - he was going to be the 3rd best paid player at Essendon next year(!) and the 6th best paid player in 2011. He needed to play 30 rounds to get a guaranteed third year (down from an original 36). The sticking point was not the money. It was the conditions on the third year and that he wanted to play midfield (which Freo guaranteed) and we wanted him to keep playing the third tall role pinch hitting in the middle occasionally.

The guy is welcome to leave the club if he doesn't want to be here but as a result of him reneging on the agreement we:

1. Need to use pick #9 in the PSD because he made his call after draft positions were set in stone (we could probably have traded him for a 2nd or 3rd round ND pick or even used one of our later picks)
2. Might be up the shits with TPP (need to pay 92.5% of the cap)

He puts us in a shit position, he's walked out on his teammates and he's been a dodgy prick about it.

As Robson said, if you want to go, tell us before trade period and we can do some business. Otherwise, f*** off and watch your miserable career die at Freo.
Hmmmm. Be that as it may the fact still remains that Essendon has, in my view, treated older players poorly in recent years so they can't get all pissy when McPhee tells em to hit the showers.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well of course he can leave. And he has. But that doesn't mean we all have to stand up and applaud him on the way out. And I don't.
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

rockhole wrote:was telling Knighta that he insisted on playing in the midfield
Surely this has to be some kind of bizarre joke. Why on earth would you play Mr Indecisive himself in the middle? As far as I remember he has never played there. Wing maybe, but DEFINITELY not in the middle.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

All is not well at Freo according to that great football brain, Greg Denham. On SEN this morning, he said Mark Harvey might be ushered out the door before the season starts. Maybe Smoke's career might be cut short regardless... Or (as is usually the case with Denham's "scoops"), maybe not...

:wink:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

gringo wrote:
Ossie wrote:

gringo.................................for f*** sake. I repsect people's opinions but with you I'm beginning to think there's a rat in the house.

Don't have any problem with McPhee looking after number 1. McPhee knows how the AFL rules work and as far as I'm concerned he's done the dirty on us.

People don't leave without a serious contingency plan in place.....this was not conceived in the last five minutes.

McPhee has every right to walk if he wants but he chose to after EFC had any chance of getting compensated for losing him.

To me, he's burned his bridge and as far as I'm concerned once I've cheered and shed a tear for Lloydy, I'm saving the rest of my voice to boo and swear at umpires and McPhee - Round 2 Tesltra Dome.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

gringo wrote:Hmmmm. Be that as it may the fact still remains that Essendon has, in my view, treated older players poorly in recent years so they can't get all pissy when McPhee tells em to hit the showers.
Would you really prefer we carry them for another 12 months like we did with Mercuri?