Slattery

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Slattery

Post by Rossoneri »

What about yesterday when he was going forward, Williams is running back towards the goal, calling for it to go long over the top, so hocking decides to go short instead, thinking that Williams will change direction? Same thing happened in the last quarter with Monfries I think. Or when coming down the wing, instead of going long to Gumby one on one, he handballs to Stanton (I think) who gets tackled immediately and paid holding the ball (rough call by umpire).

And that was yesterday, should I go back through the archives and get out the footage of him coming off half back and then coming to a complete stop, only to be run down (against Richmond and Carlton), or his supposed tagging jobs on quicker players (not entirely his fault). He is a decent in an under player, but hardly in our best 22 with his poor skills and decision making.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:What about yesterday when he was going forward, Williams is running back towards the goal, calling for it to go long over the top, so hocking decides to go short instead, thinking that Williams will change direction? Same thing happened in the last quarter with Monfries I think. Or when coming down the wing, instead of going long to Gumby one on one, he handballs to Stanton (I think) who gets tackled immediately and paid holding the ball (rough call by umpire).

And that was yesterday, should I go back through the archives and get out the footage of him coming off half back and then coming to a complete stop, only to be run down (against Richmond and Carlton), or his supposed tagging jobs on quicker players (not entirely his fault). He is a decent in an under player, but hardly in our best 22 with his poor skills and decision making.
Well, if you're going to break down every little bit of play of every player, I think you'll find similar moments for just about every bloke in the side. Not saying he doesn't stuff up, but he certainly saved our bacon with gutsy intercepts and breaking through pack situations. He's the sort of bloke I admire - goes in with a hard body and tries to win every contest.

Damien Hardwick wasn't quick, wasn't entirely skillful, but he just played the game like a f***'n animal. Absolutely loved Dimma. So while Hocking is no Hardwick, the guy is still developing his game, and IMO, is improving with every one he plays. He's certainly not hopeless.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:Well, if you're going to break down every little bit of play of every player, I think you'll find similar moments for just about every bloke in the side. Not saying he doesn't stuff up, but he certainly saved our bacon with gutsy intercepts and breaking through pack situations. He's the sort of bloke I admire - goes in with a hard body and tries to win every contest.

Damien Hardwick wasn't quick, wasn't entirely skillful, but he just played the game like a f***'n animal. Absolutely loved Dimma. So while Hocking is no Hardwick, the guy is still developing his game, and IMO, is improving with every one he plays.
I actually think that is a common mis-conception of Hardwick. I thought his skills were very good, but alot of the time he was getting a quick kick away after receiving a knock he didn't get a free kick for.

Anyway, back on topic, Hocking has a go, never stops, but so does everyone else. Hocking is different to a Davey or Williams in that they have pace and skill (not seeing much of it lately) whereas Hocking has the head down, arse up attitude, doing the hard stuff. His mistakes are costly and more often than not, avoidable. Missing targets 25m away, not giving off the handpass to a quicker play on the run are frustrating to say the least.

That being said, he is alot better than a certain player we took before Rioli #-o and a couple of others.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Well, if you're going to break down every little bit of play of every player, I think you'll find similar moments for just about every bloke in the side. Not saying he doesn't stuff up, but he certainly saved our bacon with gutsy intercepts and breaking through pack situations. He's the sort of bloke I admire - goes in with a hard body and tries to win every contest.

Damien Hardwick wasn't quick, wasn't entirely skillful, but he just played the game like a f***'n animal. Absolutely loved Dimma. So while Hocking is no Hardwick, the guy is still developing his game, and IMO, is improving with every one he plays.
I actually think that is a common mis-conception of Hardwick. I thought his skills were very good, but alot of the time he was getting a quick kick away after receiving a knock he didn't get a free kick for.

Anyway, back on topic, Hocking has a go, never stops, but so does everyone else. Hocking is different to a Davey or Williams in that they have pace and skill (not seeing much of it lately) whereas Hocking has the head down, arse up attitude, doing the hard stuff. His mistakes are costly and more often than not, avoidable. Missing targets 25m away, not giving off the handpass to a quicker play on the run are frustrating to say the least.

That being said, he is alot better than a certain player we took before Rioli #-o and a couple of others.
Just don't understand your dislike of Hocking Ross....imo, he was one of our better players yesterday and a whole lot better than the "skilful" Davey and Williams. The kid gives everything he's got and is improving each week. His papers ceratinly aren't stamped "automatic inclusion" like Davey seems to be and so he just buckles down and gets on with the job.

The situattion with Williams lead was talked about on TV....Williams indicated one way and then went the other so I find it hard to blame Hocking.

He should be one of the first picked next week and for weeks to come.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012