Sir James is right

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sir James is right

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:If I can go back to the original thread topic, I think we need to have a stringer emphasis on defending in Plan A, so that we don't need to start worrying about Plan B.

I think Knights has the balance wrong right now. Or maybe we were just whooped by a great team.
There's no doubt we got whooped by a great time, but, you are right the defensive aspect of Plan A J-Mac. Too many times we see our entire backline up around the centre square, when we turn the ball over, the opposition runs hard into space, and we get caught out. But, we weren't the only ones on the weekend. St Kilda did it to the Swans, and a couple of other teams exploited this too. If we are going to push up in the manner that we do, we have to make sure that we are capable of running back hard enough to cover the opposition sprint. If not, we need to drop a couple of players back when we are on the extreme offensive.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Gimps wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:If I can go back to the original thread topic, I think we need to have a stringer emphasis on defending in Plan A, so that we don't need to start worrying about Plan B.

I think Knights has the balance wrong right now. Or maybe we were just whooped by a great team.
There's no doubt we got whooped by a great time, but, you are right the defensive aspect of Plan A J-Mac. Too many times we see our entire backline up around the centre square, when we turn the ball over, the opposition runs hard into space, and we get caught out. But, we weren't the only ones on the weekend. St Kilda did it to the Swans, and a couple of other teams exploited this too. If we are going to push up in the manner that we do, we have to make sure that we are capable of running back hard enough to cover the opposition sprint. If not, we need to drop a couple of players back when we are on the extreme offensive.
Agree with both j-mac and Gimps. Fletch, Cale, and Tayte and are great when they have their backs to the defensive goal line - but when dragged up the ground and turned around they are lost. I have said for over a year that the balance isn't right - we just don't have an allround game that is dynamic (as in, flexible) enough to minimise damage when we are getting outplayed. If we don't fix it quick - don't be surprised to see us 1 and 5 after the Hawks game.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

tonysoprano wrote:
Gimps wrote:

Agree with both j-mac and Gimps. Fletch, Cale, and Tayte and are great when they have their backs to the defensive goal line - but when dragged up the ground and turned around they are lost. I have said for over a year that the balance isn't right - we just don't have an allround game that is dynamic (as in, flexible) enough to minimise damage when we are getting outplayed. If we don't fix it quick - don't be surprised to see us 1 and 5 after the Hawks game.
Cold turnover in the middle or CHF are the things that cause this. Our defenders push up to help out their team mates. When our skill level in terms of hitting targets is high, it will give them time to get back to the player they are marking. When we turnover the ball cold, they haven't got this time. I think this problem is moreso with the ability the keep the skill level consistently high. We improve this, and we greatly help out the defenders. As with a game style such as ours, there will be times when the forwards sneak goal side, it is inevitable.