NLM

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: NLM

Post by little_ripper »

Old mate wrote:
Who was a better team...Bombers 2000 vs Brisbane Bears 2001-2003 vs West Coast of 2006 vs Geelong of last few years...thoughts?
I think the current Geelong team is pretty special, although how can you go past 3 flags in a row from Brisbane.

premierships are the only currency which mean anything.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Current Geelong outfit has won more home games in a row than any team in AFL/VFL history. Fair effort that considering they play quite a few of them at neutral venues.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Old mate wrote:Whowas a better team...Bombers 2000 vs Brisbane Bears 2001-2003 vs West Coast of 2006 vs Geelong of last few years...thoughts?
Brisbane won three in a row so they are the best purely by achievement (and they made a 4th GF in 2004).

If Geelong can win this year, then I would rank them ahead of Brisbane because not only would they have won 3 GF's, their dominance throughout the regular season has been better than Brisbane.

West Coast 2006....you make me laugh....they were an average team that could play good defense...All of the other three teams mentioned would have wiped the floor with them.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Old mate wrote:Whowas a better team...Bombers 2000 vs Brisbane Bears 2001-2003 vs West Coast of 2006 vs Geelong of last few years...thoughts?
Brisbane won three in a row so they are the best purely by achievement (and they made a 4th GF in 2004).

If Geelong can win this year, then I would rank them ahead of Brisbane because not only would they have won 3 GF's, their dominance throughout the regular season has been better than Brisbane.

West Coast 2006....you make me laugh....they were an average team that could play good defense...All of the other three teams mentioned would have wiped the floor with them.
IMHO the Bears "success" is tainted by a million extra in salary cap not extended to us as the AFL rules destroyed our 2000 Flag Team.

When the Pussies win it this year they will be the best since our late 1940's-early 1950's team.
Hang on, there are some who attribute their success to Leigh Matthews. I'm confused :?
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

BenDoolan wrote: Hang on, there are some who attribute their success to Leigh Matthews. I'm confused :?
we don't all think the same. lethal is a great coach
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy wrote:
swoodley wrote:

IMHO the Bears "success" is tainted by a million extra in salary cap not extended to us as the AFL rules destroyed our 2000 Flag Team.

When the Pussies win it this year they will be the best since our late 1940's-early 1950's team.
Ah Filth...I think you might be overlooking Melbourne's dominance in the 50's...premiers 55,56, 57, 59 & 60 and runners up in 58. That's a whole lot better than our team of the late 40's/early 50's.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Thought I would bump this thread on NLM.

What are your thoughts on him? I think he was pretty harshly dropped Knights. Should he get back into the side?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Comparative to other players it was possibly harsh but I have no issues with any player being dropped if the coaches feel he can do more. NLM has played some of the best if not THE BEST games of his career this year, we need him to find more consistancy.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

little_ripper wrote:What are your thoughts on him? I think he was pretty harshly dropped Knights. Should he get back into the side?
No.

He was amongst our best players the past month or so because he always gives 100%, no other reason. Certainly not skill or footy smarts. I'd rather keep the more talented players in.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Straight back in for mine. With the instructions to run his guts out, bust open packs, and lay out blokes at every opportunity (within the rules of course)... I'd play him between a wing and half forward flank.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I actually think he has a role in centre square bounce downs - hard at it sort of player who can definitly clear a passage if need be
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Bring him in with the clear instructions to lay out Stephen Milne with a nice right hook like the one he laid Matthew Carr out with a few years back. Be worth the 7+ weeks he would cop at the tribunal. Don't think there would be too many in the AFL that would feel sorry for Milne.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

ealesy wrote:Bring him in with the clear instructions to lay out Stephen Milne with a nice right hook like the one he laid Matthew Carr out with a few years back. Be worth the 7+ weeks he would cop at the tribunal. Don't think there would be too many in the AFL that would feel sorry for Milne.
Naaa ... That's Welsh's role - as well as ankle tapping Riewoldt just as he breaks for a lead, accidently kneeing Gilbert in the thigh and having a deep and meaningful with Kosi about what to do to be an automatic selection when you are consistenlty playing like crap.

Win win all round

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)