Fletcher

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Fletcher

Post by Windy_Hill »

Do you think it would be worth resting Fletcher say 4-5 games a year just to buy him another 2 seasons. I note that Alex Ferguson is doing this with Ryan Giggs - who seems to be on a rotation and is being preserved for key games?

I would have thought, when Pears is back in the team, that this would present Hird with an opportunity to pick and choose when Fletch plays
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Do you think it would be worth resting Fletcher say 4-5 games a year just to buy him another 2 seasons. I note that Alex Ferguson is doing this with Ryan Giggs - who seems to be on a rotation and is being preserved for key games?

I would have thought, when Pears is back in the team, that this would present Hird with an opportunity to pick and choose when Fletch plays
If Fletcher has the skill, stamina and strength to play every game - he should. I'd rather have Fletch available for every match possible rather than selected based upon "easy" games so his career can be elongated.

I don't understand spreading his 8-10 games over 2 seasons when he can play the next 8-10 games this year.
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Windy_Hill wrote:Do you think it would be worth resting Fletcher say 4-5 games a year just to buy him another 2 seasons. I note that Alex Ferguson is doing this with Ryan Giggs - who seems to be on a rotation and is being preserved for key games?

Nope. My understanding from a few different interviews I've heard is that Fletch doesn't train super hard beyond what is required to get himself right. I think the games are the thing that keeps him right.
If he took a week off he'd just need to train more to compensate, so what's the point?

I don't think logic applies to Dustin, he's just a freak. Let him play...I reckon he'll be more likely to tire mentally after we get another premiership than be physically forced to!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

BomberinJapan wrote:I reckon he'll be more likely to tire mentally after we get another premiership than be physically forced to!
I reckon you're spot on there.
Essendunny