Gumby or Carlisle?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Gumby or Carlisle?

Post by j-mac31 »

I would get rid of NLM, Dyson and Slattery before Gumbleton, simply because he hasn't proven himself crap yet.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

j-mac31 wrote:I would get rid of NLM, Dyson and Slattery before Gumbleton, simply because he hasn't proven himself crap yet.
Well that's good logic. So if he has another season on the sidelines because he's torn both hamstrings whilst sneezing, we should honour him another contract simply because he hasn't proven himself crap yet. I'm pretty sure he's proven that he can't play football without somthing going twang, snap or pop!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Chrsit, I think expecting 40 goals is a bit much! That would put him in the top 20 in the league.

For me he has to show that he can get through a season unscathed and that he can be useful in the seniors. If he puts in plenty of good VFL games without being able to beat out Carlisle or Hurley for a senior spot, I would keep him beyond next year.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

j-mac31 wrote:Chrsit, I think expecting 40 goals is a bit much! That would put him in the top 20 in the league.

For me he has to show that he can get through a season unscathed and that he can be useful in the seniors. If he puts in plenty of good VFL games without being able to beat out Carlisle or Hurley for a senior spot, I would keep him beyond next year.
That's the thing isn't it. Even in the unlikely event he recovers well from his latest setback and he remains injury free for most of the season how is he going to push out someone of the calibre of Hurley??? If last season is anything to go by Hurley will remain up forward and Ryder and Hille will share ruck duties and rest in the forward 50. Thats not to mention Carlisle hopefully coming on as a player and spending more time in the forward line next season. Things look grim for him any way you look at it. Even if he's an absolute gun all year in the VFL he may not earn senior selection. As if that's going to happen anyway, he's sh..house.