Round 2 - Brisbane vs Essendon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Round 2 - Brisbane vs Essendon

Post by gringo »

That McGrath is a ripper. He was everywhere in the last quarter.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Sure was a steadier at the end, Goddard too but Bombers does this mean there wont be one game this year where I can't put my heart medicine away at the end of Q3? :shock:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The good thing I take from this game is that in the past when we lost a big lead we would just crumble. We kept Brisbane goalless after they hit the lead and took control of the game which was impressive.

How good is Fantasia?
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Gleeson fumbles and we gift them another goal on the siren.
He was expecting free for high tackle and just stopped. Didnt play to the whistle. A cardinal sin.

McGrath was enormous as was Goddard and Walla in the last. Just feel really relieved.

I just want one game soon where just slaughter our opponents so I can relax.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

robrulz5 wrote:The good thing I take from this game is that in the past when we lost a big lead we would just crumble. We kept Brisbane goalless after they hit the lead and took control of the game which was impressive.

How good is Fantasia?
That, and that if we ever put together a 4 quarter effort we'll be reallyyyy good.
Fantasia does exactly what you'd ask and expect from a small forward - buzzes around and leads up to the ball. Genuinely earnt his goals this week. Was terrific.

On the downside, I worry that our game plan is a bit one-dimensional. This (cute) short kicking is gonna come undone once other teams cotton onto us if we keep winning with it. Van't remember what year it was, but when Sheeds was coach we turned up one year playing just that style. It worked for several weeks but then the oppositions started shutting it down and we became a rabble.
The JLT game V Geelong was a good example. They closed us down and we couldn't move the ball with any speed at all.

But anyway, whatever, we won tonight, and I'm happy with that. And that there's still a lot of upside.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

MH_Bomber wrote: I just want one game soon where just slaughter our opponents so I can relax.
I'm just happy with a win at this stage :)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

3rd qtr was ****** putrid. Early in 4th was shit, but stepped up, and that's why we'll challenge good teams.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Gimps wrote:3rd qtr was ****** putrid. Early in 4th was shit, but stepped up, and that's why we'll challenge good teams.
Yeah, late 2nd and 3rd we just got too cute, and didn't hunt the ball enough. Fix that and we're OK.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Yeah Nudder. I remember that Sheedy year. Everyone got excited and couldn't work out why such a promising start to the season suddenly fell in a heap. Opposition worked out we were a one-trick pony. Mixing playing styles to suit an opposition team, or a ground, or the weather is essential. Our famous end-of-quarter give-aways also came back before half time and at the end of Q3 tonight. 17 seconds to go and we boot a lazy kick sideways over someones head into the middle of the ground. Nearly fell off my seat. Horrible to see that lead disappear and the momentum switch. But what a f***** great finish...and Fantasia!!!
So, Round one...came back from the dead and put a good team away: Round two...came back and put an average team away: Round three.....??? Hopefully bury a shite team so deep it will never come back!
One thing we found out tonight...we've got some stars and some potential stars but we are not a super team, or a bunch of bruisers that can muscle their way through regardless. So no delusions of grandeur until we run up against one.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote:Yeah Nudder. I remember that Sheedy year. Everyone got excited and couldn't work out why such a promising start to the season suddenly fell in a heap. Opposition worked out we were a one-trick pony. Mixing playing styles to suit an opposition team, or a ground, or the weather is essential. Our famous end-of-quarter give-aways also came back before half time and at the end of Q3 tonight. 17 seconds to go and we boot a lazy kick sideways over someones head into the middle of the ground. Nearly fell off my seat. Horrible to see that lead disappear and the momentum switch. But what a f***** great finish...and Fantasia!!!
So, Round one...came back from the dead and put a good team away: Round two...came back and put an average team away: Round three.....??? Hopefully bury a shite team so deep it will never come back!
One thing we found out tonight...we've got some stars and some potential stars but we are not a super team, or a bunch of bruisers that can muscle their way through regardless. So no delusions of grandeur until we run up against one.
But I reckon we have the potential to be that good - so far this year just lacking 4 quarters application. Tonight we just got a bit cute with the short stuff, and dropped off hunting the ball/man a bit. If everyone did their bit the whole game we would have flogged then.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Apart from too many players taking the foot off the pedal in the 2nd quarter, the big concern was the smashing that Martin gave to us in the middle of the game (42 hitouts and 13 clearances). We didn't really get on top until he got tired (and McKernan stood up), some vintage extraction from Jobe and Walla was given license to run on ball for 5 minutes (that and we finally got a 50 m for a Zorko brain fade).
The fight shown to drag it back for a win is promising, but I'm getting too old for heart stoppers.
Ah well, 2 from 2. Next week the scum.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote:Apart from too many players taking the foot off the pedal in the 2nd quarter, the big concern was the smashing that Martin gave to us in the middle of the game (42 hitouts and 13 clearances). We didn't really get on top until he got tired (and McKernan stood up), some vintage extraction from Jobe and Walla was given license to run on ball for 5 minutes (that and we finally got a 50 m for a Zorko brain fade).
The fight shown to drag it back for a win is promising, but I'm getting too old for heart stoppers.
The fade-out can be eradicated with psychotherapy, and the ruck problem can be fixed once our real ruckmen are back, so don't worry, it's all good.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Positives

Another win
Andrew McGrath so calm and good with the ball
Jobe getting back to doing what he does best
Joe Daniher clunking big marks and kicking straight!
Zach Merrett is a jet
Goddard in good form
Fantasia the fantastic - love how he goes about it
Hooker's strong presence up forward
TIPPAAAAAAA keeps throwing himself at it
Pops Kelly is such a professional
Hartley's good defence
Forward line looks potent

Negatives

Giving up a 42 point lead
McKernan getting smashed in the ruck
Hurley getting done by a novice
Too many BAD turnovers
Struggling at the stoppages and clearances
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Bit of a schizophrenic performance that!

Pleased with the end result. Was impressed how we blew out to a 7 goal lead with quick ball movement and good forward line cohesion. Just can't afford those midfield lapses which happened last night.

Raz is a ripper. Zach Merrett is awesome. Good to see the returned stars getting back to their mojo so quickly - Jobe, Hepp, Hooks, Trav etc. Hurley seems a bit down (even last week). Hope he has a great game next week.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

What I took out of tonight is we need to make a big offer to Eric Hipwood when he comes out of contract. This kid could be anything.

We went interstate and won - that'll do for now.
Last edited by hop on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:What I took out of tonight is we need to make a big offer to Eric Hipwood when he come out of contract. This kid could be anything.

We went interstate and won - that'll do for now.
Shit yeah, was thinking the same thing re: Hipwood. Could be absolutely anything.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

s'dreams wrote:Apart from too many players taking the foot off the pedal in the 2nd quarter, the big concern was the smashing that Martin gave to us in the middle of the game (42 hitouts and 13 clearances). We didn't really get on top until he got tired (and McKernan stood up), some vintage extraction from Jobe and Walla was given license to run on ball for 5 minutes (that and we finally got a 50 m for a Zorko brain fade).
McKernan did a massive job, much bigger ask than last week but he was competitive against one of the best in the league.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

MH_Bomber wrote:
Gleeson fumbles and we gift them another goal on the siren.
He was expecting free for high tackle and just stopped. Didnt play to the whistle. A cardinal sin.

McGrath was enormous as was Goddard and Walla in the last. Just feel really relieved.

I just want one game soon where just slaughter our opponents so I can relax.
Then he went back with the flight and took a massive grab at a vital time.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

My quick summary:

NEGATIVE
giving away goals in the last 2 minutes of a quarter (when will we EVER stop doing that!!??)
giving up a big lead (ditto)

POSITIVE
at least we came back again and scraped a win
Whorethorn lost again (I know that's not connected to our game, but it's always a positive for me!!)
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

billyduckworth wrote:My quick summary:

NEGATIVE
giving away goals in the last 2 minutes of a quarter (when will we EVER stop doing that!!??)
giving up a big lead (ditto)

POSITIVE
at least we came back again and scraped a win
Whorethorn lost again (I know that's not connected to our game, but it's always a positive for me!!)
Yep - But it also may show just how shit-full they may be this year.

Our first 3 games l suggest are against teams that are not going to be shaping - or making - finals.
Which makes a win next week a must!!!

We'll also have as many wins and a better percentage than the whole of last year.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.