Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Fraz
Top Up Player

Re: Lloyd

Post by Fraz »

juff wrote:I thought Knights made a good point in his press conference when he said that Fletch had taken on a similar role to that being asked of Lloyd, and that he has responded graciously and enthusiastically.

Fletch has been copping stupid criticism in the press about not taking the best forward (i.e. not being the king pin key defender), but he nonethless keeps putting in magnificently. Moreover, he really is seen as the "father figure" by the young boys in the back line, who repeatedly say how much he has helped them in their development.

I might be wrong, but I don't really see Lloyd taking on this mentoring role for our young developing forwards - when was the last time you heard one of them say he was learning heaps from Lloydy? This is kind of disappointing (esp. from a captain) and consistent with his sooky line about being played out of his fav position. He should take a leaf out of Fletch's book and think more about the team (as a captain should!).
Right, because he has come out and said that :roll:

As Sismis said, it's all speculation and I look forward to an official announcement so we can end all of it.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Maybe so Ben with your arguements,but for CHRIST'S SAKE Mate,we SIMPLY CAN'T AFFORD to lose him.Perhaps that's up to him to sort out,but KNIGHTS should NOT Stand IDLY BY and let the WORST SCENARIO Happen.
Fraz
Top Up Player

Post by Fraz »

From the latest update on the official site:
Hamilton flatly rejected media speculation that Lloyd could be traded and also denied reports that Lloyd had demanded to be played at full-forward in 2010 saying that was "simply not correct".
At least that speculation can stop now.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote:Maybe so Ben with your arguements,but for CHRIST'S SAKE Mate,we SIMPLY CAN'T AFFORD to lose him.Perhaps that's up to him to sort out,but KNIGHTS should NOT Stand IDLY BY and let the WORST SCENARIO Happen.
I hope he does stay grassy. I hope he embraces his role and plays on enthusiastically. I encourage anyone to pull out a tape of the R3 clash this year and just watch Lloyd. Just watch how he hit that game like a hurricane and played like a man possessed. Why we never saw the same intensity for the rest of the year, I'll never know. But I hope he can get his head straight and finish the last one or two years of his career with passion and with Essendon.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Fraz wrote:From the latest update on the official site:
Hamilton flatly rejected media speculation that Lloyd could be traded and also denied reports that Lloyd had demanded to be played at full-forward in 2010 saying that was "simply not correct".
yeah, good one Fraz :wink:

Lloyd will play on, I'm pretty confident. Maybe Hirdy will get in his ear and tell him that you are a long time retired.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Rossoneri wrote:
Fraz wrote:From the latest update on the official site:
yeah, good one Fraz :wink:

Lloyd will play on, I'm pretty confident. Maybe Hirdy will get in his ear and tell him that you are a long time retired.
Do you think that Lloyd and Sir James are that close?

I would be surprised if they talked as 'mates' at all
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

From The Age today:

Lloyd still to decide future

Caroline Wilson | September 18, 2009

ANOTHER round of talks with Essendon coach Matthew Knights has failed to officially resolve the Matthew Lloyd saga, with the Bombers captain telling the club he hoped to reach a final decision about his playing future today.

The coach and his disenchanted captain met early yesterday with Lloyd, who four days ago told the coaching panel he had not enjoyed his season playing further up the field, seeking clarification over a number of issues.

While Lloyd still has three games of a four-game suspension to serve should he play on next year, he will certainly step down as captain whatever his decision. He remains unhappy at not being assured the full-forward position.

The Bombers are sorry the veteran has struggled to embrace the new role the coaching panel has conceived for him.

Yesterday's talks also involved football boss Paul Hamilton.

Lloyd left Windy Hill hopeful of reaching a decision overnight, while Knights and his coaching team, who several days ago believed the star player would retire, are now uncertain.

Knights had told Lloyd, 31, that he wanted him to play on as a key forward roving further up the ground and assuming a stronger mentoring role with the likes of Jay Neagle and Scott Gumbleton - 10 years his junior.

The coach pointed to the on-field development of Bernie Vince at Adelaide this season which had been fast-tracked by teammate Simon Goodwin.

Although Lloyd has been virtually assured he would not be relegated to the VFL, he has not been convinced regarding his future and while his management has told Essendon he would look at playing at another club next season, that appears unlikely.

The Bombers also appear resigned to losing Andrew Lovett, who has demanded a massive pay rise and whom the club attempted to trade last season.

Lovett's form declined towards the end of 2009 and his performance in the club's elimination final loss to Adelaide did not help his stocks at Windy Hill. He appears destined for Fremantle.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

danstar84 wrote:Lovett's form declined towards the end of 2009 and his performance in the club's elimination final loss to Adelaide did not help his stocks at Windy Hill. He appears destined for Fremantle.
What the f***?
He either has great relationships with Solly, KB and Harvey or there is something seriously wrong upstairs.

I wouldn't say no to Pavlich though.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

WTF!!! Lovett to Freo? Reckon Caro's been dipping into the G&T's on her lunchbreak...

:shock:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Can't believe what I've just read about Lloyd. It confirms my assumptions, and that is massively disappointing. Can't believe he's turning his back on the kids on our list for his own self interest.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

BD, do you mean in this thread as in the C Wilson article dated the 18/09/2009 or elsewhere ?
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hmmm ... wasn't it Caro that wrote that Knights had been re-signed?

Pinch of salt needed at this stage.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:BD, do you mean in this thread as in the C Wilson article dated the 18/09/2009 or elsewhere ?
Yes, the Caro article in this thread MH.

Not sure why people are struggling to believe any of it. I would have thought it was captain obvious......
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I agree. I think Caro has been pretty much spot on in her telling of the Lloyd saga. If all was hunky dori he would have signed up.

I like what Rohan Connolly said about the situation tonight. He asked whether Lloyd was waiting for a Valentine's days card from Matthew Knights ? Basically he perceives the Lloyd stance as somewhat unreasonable. As I do. He is being given the chance to play a key role next year and his ego has got the better of him. I think it all may stem from it just being assumed that the captaincy would be taken from him. Maybe he thought he deserved to stay skippper and is pissed at how it just hasnt panned out.

He has to make a decision soon or the whole situation will get bascially too icky for Lloyd and Knights to have a working relationship.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I reckon Lloyd is waiting on the dogs. Now that their season is over, he will announce his decision either Tuesday or Wednesday.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

If Lloyd plays at another club I will projectile vomit

Essendon Captains do not play for other clubs (well not since Barry Davis anyway)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rumour is that Lloyd is softening on his relucance to continue at EFC (forgoing a media career in 2010).

Need this resolved as it is undoubtedly affecting internal dynamics of the club.

Suspect some inducements may have been placed on the table ...

Frankly and IMO - the best inducement is for a valedictory year from the grass throwing #18... and frankly I'd be wrapped if this was a major element of the EFC marketing for next year.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Having witnessed the Prelim. last night, I will never again accept critiscm of Lloyd staging for frees after seeing the Blond Kraut milk eveything he could from the maggots. That free in front of goals was the most appalling decision of the year given that there wre probably 20 worst instances of the same thing that went unnoticed.

Rievoldt is a hell of a player but should be embarassed the way he goes to ground as if shot at the slightedst contact.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Rievoldting innit? 8) :lol:
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

rockhole wrote:Having witnessed the Prelim. last night, I will never again accept critiscm of Lloyd staging for frees after seeing the Blond Kraut milk eveything he could from the maggots. That free in front of goals was the most appalling decision of the year given that there wre probably 20 worst instances of the same thing that went unnoticed.

Rievoldt is a hell of a player but should be embarassed the way he goes to ground as if shot at the slightedst contact.
When things werent going his way in the first half he kept flinging himself down and then would get up half injured like a big sook. His staging makes anything Matt did from time to time look extremely innocent. That was why I was so annoyed with St Kilda about their tunnelling accusations to Sydney. He causes it himself by the way he goes about it.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber