Farewell Champ and Thanks - Lloyd Retires

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Farewell Champ and Thanks - Lloyd Retires

Post by Windy_Hill »

gringo wrote:I'm actually now beginning to get extremely annoyed that Lloyd was not told by Knights he could play FF next year (depending on performance). I didn't realise he kicked 62 goals and 16 behinds in 2008. That's just ridiculous for a bloke playing in a junk team and spending considerable amounts of time up the ground.

Dunstall and those blokes all played on until they were 34 or so. Lloyd definately had another good season in him.

What a complete disgrace it is.

It's a credit to Lloyd that he's gone quitely and with dignity and without any public ill-will towards Essendon. He had every right to throw his weight around but has chosen not too. What a ripping bloke he is. Good luck in the future.
Gringy you may be right - I guess time will tell. If Neagle kicks 50+ goals next season then Lloyd's departure may be viewed as an inspired piece of succession planning.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I read that PJ has approached Collo to rename one end of the"Dome the Lloyd end.

I actually wrote to PJ 2 years ago requesting that Coventry be given the arse given that the filth was not a resident club and that the name Coleman was installed.

i would be rapt to see Matty's name permanently at one end. All we need now is the James Hird Grandstand (Wing, City Side) and we can start feeling like the "Dome is our home ground.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Windy_Hill wrote:Ok, so now I have had some time to think about Matty's retirement I would like to give my thoughts on his career

1) Essendon Gets Its Man - In many ways, we have Fremantle to thank for the assisting us in getting Matthew Lloyd to Essendon. This was by virtue of Essendon receiving a compensatory draft selection in the 1995 pre-season draft as a result of us giving up the 'superstars' that were Todd Ridley and Tony Delaney to Fremantle. The steal of the century and perhaps Sheedy's greatest draft/trading coup. We got a club great, they got the left overs!!

2) Early Years - I remember watching Essendon playing at Waverley in 1998 and Lloyd was just starting to emerge as a player to be reckoned with. The incident that sticks in my mind was Lloyd coming up on to the outer wing to collect the footy, evading a tackle, running along the boundary line and from outside 50m, bangs the ball from the wrong side for a left footer goalwards.....the ball had that amazing subtle slice that Lloydy could impart causing it to bend left and through the goals (whereas most other lefties would have hooked it to the right a la Peter Sumich). It was an extroadinary goal. I leant over to my mate and simply said " this boy will be a champion"

3) The Marking Technique - other than Jason Dunstall, I cannot think of a better one grab mark of a footy coming in at speed and at face level. Lloydy has a wonderful technique where he softens the impact of the footy by marking with nicely bent elbows - watch for yourself on any highlights reel and you will see what I mean. Soft hands but amazing grip.

4) The Demolition of Sydney - Round 3 1999 - 22 Kicks, 14 Marks, 13 Goals. Lloyd at his imperious best.

5) The Centuries - I saw him kick his 100th goal in both 2000 and 2001. In 2000 it was the icing on the cake during the dismantling of arch nemesis North Melbourne during the qualifying final at the MCG - If I am not terribly mistaken, I believe it was Longy who passed the ball? The following year it was again during the first final, this time a night game against Richmond (the night Dean Solomon tore Matthew Richardson a new one). These were great highlights during the very Golden Years of Hird, Lucas, Lloyd, Mercuri, Misiti and Fletcher.

6) 2000 - I went to see Geelong play Essendon at what was then Colonial Stadium with a mate of mine who is a mad Geelong fan. We were sitting behind the goals looking out at the Essendon Forward line. I remember clearly, the line-up was

HF Hird Lucas Caracella
FF Bewick Lloyd Mercuri

My Geelong mate looked at me and simply said - "would you look at that forward line - f***, we are stuffed"!!! He was right - we murdered them that night.

Lloyd was the spearhead that lead his team to the single best ever VFL/AFL Season

7) The Dons in Decline - Despite kicking 90 goals twice in subsequent seasons, it was clear that the Dons were in decline. The great 2000 team was breaking up and the atmoshphere of invincibility was gone. Despite this LLoyd maintained his superb output and continued to be the dominant forward in the AFL. Key to this was his incredible accuracy. At one stage in his career he was averaging better than 70% conversion on set shots. I still believe to this day he has been the most reliable shot at goal in the last 25 years

8 ) Captaincy - a much underated captain subject to much specualtion as to his effectiveness as a leader on the field due to being locked into the FF position. Rubbish!! Footballers lead by example and Lloyd's courage and deeds were significant inspiration to his team mates when they most needed it. Off the field, he was a towering presence in the change rooms and ensured that the riff raff accumulated during the Sheedy Years (Cupido, Zantuck, etc) would not be tolerated

9) The Hard Man - enough has been said about Lloyd's hardness. Perhaps at the cost of his own game, he muscled up and became an enforcer (rather than the agile fast moving forward of the late 90's). He earned the wonderful nickname the 'Velvet Sledgehammer' and the point is that whilst being as tough as nails, he was never malicious and absolutely never sniped. Lloydy dished it out pretty well in the clinches - but as a forward of his quality, had to endure years of rough physical attention from opposition defenders without ever shirking the issue.

I only hope that his career is not remembered for the incident against Hawthorn when he took out Sewell. Dont forget, we laud the likes of Jack Dyer, Ted Whitten, John Nicholls, Glen Archer for their courage and hard hits. Lloyd deserves to be recognised for his tough but always fair play.

10) Number 18 - This number was already revered at Essendon thanks to the glory endowed on it by the magnificent Paul Van Der Haar. There can be no doubt that from this day forward, the number 18 will always be the number worn by the club's most important forward.

Matthew Lloyd is a champion of Essendon, its greatest ever goal kicker who now sits comfortably in the pantheon of heroes at Windy Hill. He deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Coleman, Reynolds, Hutchinson, Hird, Watson, Madden and Fletcher

Hail Matthew Lloyd - thanks for the memories, thanks for making the last 15 years so enjoyable. With only Fletcher left, an incredible era is almost over. We should cherish these days and pay due respect to a true Footballing Great
Thanks Windy =D>

Thanks Lloydy =D> =D>
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

rockhole wrote:I read that PJ has approached Collo to rename one end of the"Dome the Lloyd end.

I actually wrote to PJ 2 years ago requesting that Coventry be given the arse given that the filth was not a resident club and that the name Coleman was installed.

i would be rapt to see Matty's name permanently at one end. All we need now is the James Hird Grandstand (Wing, City Side) and we can start feeling like the "Dome is our home ground.
Should be done tomorrow, IMO.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S95jnVRvvls&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S95jnVRvvls&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xped7Wle0SY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xped7Wle0SY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kk8qbpRRhRM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kk8qbpRRhRM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ic9jIYq2MHQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ic9jIYq2MHQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNTOoANBAl8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNTOoANBAl8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

4) The Demolition of Sydney - Round 3 1999 - 22 Kicks, 14 Marks, 13 Goals. Lloyd at his imperious best.
I was seated behind the goals in the that game. Incredible performance. He is a true Essendon champion and a champion of the game now and in any era.

I am very sad he has retired. I wanted him to play on. I am quite surprised I thought he's either play on at Bomberland or perhaps get drafted by the Dogs which probably would have allowed him to kick a 1000 goals.

I am not entirely sure I like where the tactics of modern footy are taking the game in terms of the premature retirements of these Bomber greats.

He now has done the thing that c-nt Alastair Clarkson screamed after the round 22 game. I wanted him to play on in complete defiance of that.

Thank you Matthew for 16 years of great performances. You are a legend.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Yes I am Filthy. I was away down at Pt Lonsdale with my daughter, my sister and her two littlies and have been basically in-communicado as far as news went. Just keep missing the news and wasnt listening to the radio much. I only heard about it on Wednesday night.

I got back yesterday and this morning listened to part of the pressie the club has on the website. I got quite emotional listening to him speak about Essendon and all it means to him. It made me change my view a bit about how this has been handled by Knights.

I think Knights handled the retirements of Lloyd and Lucas appallingly. They are true champions of Essendon and really deserved quite a lot better. It was evident that Lloydy was annoyed with the situation and he didnt thank Matthew Knights although he wished him well.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

MH_Bomber wrote:I think Knights handled the retirements of Lloyd and Lucas appallingly. They are true champions of Essendon and really deserved quite a lot better. It was evident that Lloydy was annoyed with the situation and he didnt thank Matthew Knights although he wished him well.
How so? What should he have done differently?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

To be honest I am not sure but I am not the coach of the Essendon Football Club.

It just seems to me other clubs have had the older champs go out on a better note and in better circumstances than Lloyd and Lucas. I cant help but feel that Knights was a little hamfisted in dealing with the succession of Lloyd and Lucas. I think its a matter of respect perhaps he didnt show them enough of it.

Its difficult but right now we have no Lloyd, no Lucas, Hurley in big trouble, Neagle having to increase his aerobic capacity by 1000% and a big question mark on Gumby's back - I hope it works out. Perhaps the old guys have been moved on too quick and they arent that old really.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

MH_Bomber wrote:To be honest I am not sure but I am not the coach of the Essendon Football Club.

It just seems to me other clubs have had the older champs go out on a better note and in better circumstances than Lloyd and Lucas. I cant help but feel that Knights was a little hamfisted in dealing with the succession of Lloyd and Lucas. I think its a matter of respect perhaps he didnt show them enough of it.

Its difficult but right now we have no Lloyd, no Lucas, Hurley in big trouble, Neagle having to increase his aerobic capacity by 1000% and a big question mark on Gumby's back - I hope it works out. Perhaps the old guys have been moved on too quick and they arent that old really.
Lets hope fortune favours the brave.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

MH_Bomber wrote:To be honest I am not sure but I am not the coach of the Essendon Football Club.

Then what makes you think it was appalling? Lucas was horribly out of form at the start of the season and despite numerous chances (one too many for me) he was dropped. He played well for 4-5 weeks in the 2's, then was recalled. His form then slipped again, compounded by a knee injury and that was that. What else could Knights have done?

In regards to lloyd, there is something happening undercurrent that we dont know about yet. I am spewing Lloyd is gone, so we will have to wait and see the wash up of it all.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Lucas told club officials (Paul Hamilton I think) in the first half of the year that he knew he was going to retire at the end of the year....it was his decision to pull the pin before the end of the year....no fault of Knights. Anyone watching Scotty this year knew that the game had passed him by as his injuries took their toll.

Lloyd decided to retire after figuring out that he no longer had the desire to put in the required effort to play the role the coach wanted him to do...Lloyd's decision. Knight's had clearly stated that he wanted Lloyd to play on. Where is the blame on Knights in this scenario?

To me the key point is that both those players retired...they weren't forced out of the game....they made the decision so why is Knights at fault?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

To me the key point is that both those players retired...they weren't forced out of the game....they made the decision so why is Knights at fault?
Well it didnt quite come across like that in the press conference.

I guess what I am trying say that there is a balancing act between handle the tried and true champions in the latter part of the career and blooding the new young guns. In the case of Lloyd and Lucas I think this hasnt been the ideal send off for such great players.

Both Lucas and Lloyd have played at full forward throughout their career but they were trying to fulfill hard running roles that they were not suited to. Whereas Neagle was given the relative luxury of being played out of the square - however his fitness level did not measure up for a lot of the season. It was difficult to play Lloyd, Lucas and Neagle in the forward line - simply too top heavy - but which 2 of the 3 was able to achieve better work rates throughout a game ?

I just dont like the underlying vibe I am getting from a lot of this.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Was lucky enough to be at the GF and the highlight to me was seeing Lloydy and Scotty driven around the G prior to the game.

Felt immensly proud and extremely sad seeing these two champions and best of mates going around for the last time.

It was similar to seeing Sheeds and James for the last time. No more thanks!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

rockhole wrote:Was lucky enough to be at the GF and the highlight to me was seeing Lloydy and Scotty driven around the G prior to the game.
you were lucky because for all us watching on TV go SHIT ALL coverage of the retirees lap.... very annoyed at that
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals