Round 4 vs Filth

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: Round 4 vs Filth

Post by nudder12 »

Where does one start after yesterday's performance?
Dumb is a good beginning.
Floater kicks to a team-mate about to be swamped.
Handballs to someone 2 feet away.
No shepherding.
Kicking sideways and backwards all day long - and even then to blokes who were never going to gain any advantage from it.
Attempting to break through a wall of Collingwood players instead of disposing of the ball immediately.
Oh, and, can we please stop kicking to a one-on-two (or three) contest, and maybe get a crumber at the fall of the ball occassionally?

And, my biggest beef today, FFS why do we handball directly backwards when an opposition player is coming at us at 100 mph, only to see that opposition player run straight past us and to the handball recipient and placing them under the same pressure?? Maybe if we handballed backward and then shepherded the oncoming opponent so our handball recipient had a chance to gain some composure, that would make sense. But noooo.
Mentally, this team look as weak as any team we've put on the field for the last 10 years.

Hird said we tried to play dry weather footy. What he didn't say was that he told the team to do something different. Did he? And if he did, why didn't they do it? Along with that, he was badly out-coached yesterday - continually had our players behind the ball and not giving us enough opportunity to run forward. That's a good part of the reason we looked slow (waiting for movement ahead of the ball) and why we created pressure on ourselves, and why we failed to create space for ourselves, and why we were outnumbered at the fall of the ball when we did actually go forward.
Did we learn nothing from the Hawthorn match, where, when we actually attacked, we looked dangerous?

I could go on forever probably - so frustrated - but I'll leave it there. So frustrated when I know we have the talent.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Infuriatingly dumb football today. Too much propensity to handball in shit conditions. It was like "it's not my problem" footy - just dish it off to someone else who has someone on their hammer. Dumb. Foot passing was equally dumb. How many times did someone "loft" the ball high so someone can spoil or intercept? FMD.

Belinda Carlisle making a habit of missing from 10 metres out. And HE has the audacity to yell at Dempsey? FMD.

Can anyone crumb a ball these days?
Couldn't agree more. I almost miss Monfries. Chappy was completely useless today.
Maybe the Port version of Monfries - the Essendon version was soft and went to ground too often.

And yes - Chappy was ineffective - but he had a number of mates.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Chappy was putrid.
Carlisle - f*** me, what has happened to the clunking aerialist? Ok, conditions were greasy but he doesn't look like it ATM.
Gleeson - too skinny, too confident, this is the big league not under age lightning carnival.
Jobe had probably the worst game of his career.
Heppell might have butchered a few, but he was streets ahead of the rest of the team in terms of intensity and commitment. Although honourable mentions to Stants, Zach M, hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, and even Demps (except for that stupid shit on goal late in the 2nd.)

But the biggest blame should fall with Hird, there is no way the players tried to chip and pinpoint if that wasn't the plan.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Flip wrote:BTW

Dry as a bone on the Peninsula

Phoned a friend north of town and same......shit happens.
Brilliant. If we ever make a grand final in the next decade and it's raining in Melbourne we'll ask them to move the game to your backyard.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:We need to get better with our long kick outs from full back. I can't fathom why we don't have Hurley kicking out long to Hooker somewhere beyond the D50. He would mark it 9 times out of 10. Reckon the Bellchambers / Daniher option is useless.
Great idea (or get Carlisle to come up the ground and actually do something). I've never looked closely, but I guess Hooker stays inside the defensive 50 when we kick in.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

j-mac31 wrote:
Flip wrote:BTW

Dry as a bone on the Peninsula

Phoned a friend north of town and same......shit happens.
Brilliant. If we ever make a grand final in the next decade and it's raining in Melbourne we'll ask them to move the game to your backyard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

tonysoprano wrote:Chappy was putrid.
Carlisle - f*** me, what has happened to the clunking aerialist? Ok, conditions were greasy but he doesn't look like it ATM.
Gleeson - too skinny, too confident, this is the big league not under age lightning carnival.
Jobe had probably the worst game of his career.
Heppell might have butchered a few, but he was streets ahead of the rest of the team in terms of intensity and commitment. Although honourable mentions to Stants, Zach M, hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, and even Demps (except for that stupid shit on goal late in the 2nd.)

But the biggest blame should fall with Hird, there is no way the players tried to chip and pinpoint if that wasn't the plan.
This.....it is like they automatons unable to adjust from all the drills they do and just go back to old fashioned wet weather footy.... dumb, just dumb Footy. :(