Top four by 2010... and then what?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

NIFTY wrote:easley regarding your comment that the difference between north melbourne and essendon is that north have to try to make the top 4 each year...i am crying in laughter at you logic!!!

Possibly the DUMBEST man on this forum. I can't believe you actually believe that north must make the top 4 each year to survive, sounds like you believe that essendon not making the top 4 is through no fault of their own, but they chose to not make it!! essendon don't need to try to make the top four each year, because they are a rich club. THIS IS THE LOGIC OF A MAN WHO HAS HAD A TROLL BREAK INTO HIS HOUSE AT NIGHT, OPEN UP HIS CRANIUM AND REMOVED THE ROTTEN PRUNE THAT HAS BEEN MASQUERATING AS HIS BRAIN
Well I might have exaggerated slightly in suggesting they needed to make top 4 every year to win.

However, the certainly cannot afford to bottom out and rebuild through the draft. Imagine if the Kanagroos did what Carlton have done and spent 5 years of being completely uncompetitive and barely winning a game in that time. If this occurred they be lucky to crack a membership of 15,000 which would not sustain an AFL club.

Of course the fact we have not made the top 4 is our fault our recruiting, list management and player development has been nothing short of abysmal for the past 5 years. However, it also unrealistic to believe that any club is actually capable of making the top 4 every single year AFL, the AFL has designed the system to prevent this.

We are in a position off the field, where we are able to survive an extended stay at the bottom of the ladder, so we can engage in a extensive youth policy and rebuild through the draft, in the same way that Hawthorn have. Of course ideally we will avoid this fate, but if we don't we will survive it. The Kangaroos on the other hand would fold after 4-5 consecutive years of being completely uncompetitive on the field.