Whats Missing from our Back Line

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Whats Missing from our Back Line

Post by Windy_Hill »

HARD AS NAILS DEFENDERS!!

FULL BACK LINE ImageImage

HALF BACK LINE ImageImageImage
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Whats Missing from our Back Line

Post by j-mac31 »

The only thing Slattery has got going for him is that he is hard as nails.

Also, I only have about 20 AFL cards and can't remember when/how I got them, but I'm pretty sure I've got that one of Wanganeen.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

To be honest with you all, I thought Atkinson was doing alright in our back line.

Houli did alright too, but I think he's a better midfield option than Lonergan.

We could use however a solid backman who has a bit of shit on the liver. (God forbid - could we kiss and make up with Campbell Brown and ask him if he wants to come over and play with the rifleman?)
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Our backline actually isn't struggling as much as it appears (even though Frenchie kicked 12!)
Our midfield is just so utterly sh*t that the ball comes in very often, very quickly and with no pressure applied on the kicker - hence targets are hit very very easily.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Lets be honest, its missing Tayte Pears.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This guy was pretty damn good in his heyday too....

And this bloke....

Essendunny
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

is any semblance of defensive pressure from the midfield!
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Solly is a teenager in that photo I am assuming.... Anyone else notice he has bigger guns in that shot than 3/4 of our list?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Wellman ... it all kinda went down hill from there

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

McVeigh although out of form like the rest of our team does have that hard as nails mongrel about him.

Most cant stand McVeigh now but I still have time for this guy. Put him in the back pocket as a small lock down defender, this is a role that he has excelled in. I believe he still can.

Hurley also has that natural Mongrel in him too and I think he is a better defender than forward.

We have the tools to put together a pretty tough skillful and hard back 6 IMO.

B McVeigh Hurley Fletcher
HB Hooker Pears Dempsey

That back 6 to me me looks very good. Our midfiled pressure and just general pressure throughout the ground right now is horrible. Teams seem to effortlessly get the ball into their forward line at will. Back 6 will always struggle against a team with decent skill in that sort of environment.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

DC2 wrote:McVeigh although out of form like the rest of our team does have that hard as nails mongrel about him.

Most cant stand McVeigh now but I still have time for this guy. Put him in the back pocket as a small lock down defender, this is a role that he has excelled in. I believe he still can.

Hurley also has that natural Mongrel in him too and I think he is a better defender than forward.

We have the tools to put together a pretty tough skillful and hard back 6 IMO.

B McVeigh Hurley Fletcher
HB Hooker Pears Dempsey

That back 6 to me me looks very good. Our midfiled pressure and just general pressure throughout the ground right now is horrible. Teams seem to effortlessly get the ball into their forward line at will. Back 6 will always struggle against a team with decent skill in that sort of environment.
I just think Hurley is too good a player to "waste" at full back. I know that full back is a very important position but Hurley, in my mind, looks so dangerous as a Centre Half Forward in the Jon Browm mould (yes a fair way to go but showing the signs)

Dempsey is not a defender in my opinion - would prefer to see him in the middle or on the wing
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Whats missing from our backline? The same thing missing from our forward line, and mid-field. Good quality AFL footballers.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

little_ripper wrote:Lets be honest, its missing Tayte Pears.
I hope that's a joke, seeing as he has more goals kicked on him than any other defender in the AFL.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

robbie67 wrote:
I hope that's a joke, seeing as he has more goals kicked on him than any other defender in the AFL.
So you wouldn't want Pears in the side?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

robrulz5 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:
So you wouldn't want Pears in the side?
Of course I do, and I think he will be a good player, but he has some way to go, and I am so sick of people in here shooting their load and saying nothing is wrong with the list etc etc. They remind me of the ******* idiots that got us into this mess in the first place.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Hopefully with some more defensive pressure from the midfield and a couple of years of development Tayte won't be giving away as many goals.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

If you want to know what I mean, have a look at Dean Wallis' game in the 2000 Grand Final - he simply scared the opposition away from the ball. He was ferocious that day. We miss that.

People talk about the 2000 side and talk about how good Lloyd, Hird, Mercuri and Misiti were. And they were good but...that side was absolutley built around its menancing and intimidating defence. M Johnson, D Fletcher (B&F winner that year) D Solomon, S Wellman, D Wallis and D Hardwick - just an awesome defensive unit!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Known as "the wrecking crew".
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

It's not just the backline, it's the whole team. We need hard arses, blokes that won't shirk the task, blokes that hit other blokes like a brick wall.

Not matter what level you play at, there are certain blokes that you are scared of. That's fact.

We have a team full of pansies.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:It's not just the backline, it's the whole team. We need hard arses, blokes that won't shirk the task, blokes that hit other blokes like a brick wall.

Not matter what level you play at, there are certain blokes that you are scared of. That's fact.

We have a team full of pansies.
Too true.
Essendunny