Selection day again...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Selection day again...

Post by Gyoza »

This time (and this time only) I wouldn't blame Knights for having no idea who the best 22 are...

I would have made Jobe and Welsh pick teams on Tuesday for a 30 minute match and told all of them that selection will be based solely on what you show you've got right here and now, with missed targets and lack of physical intensity counting heavily.

Holding my breath for approx 5pm...
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Selection day again...

Post by Jazz_84 »

can't even begin to predict how the team will look like, is Hille ready? if so then Hille in and Belly out to start with and SURELY Prismall has to come in maybe for Dyson or Stanton (wont happen of course), and Dempsey SHOULD be dropped for Atkinson
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Who has any idea what is going to happen, really?
I hear Hille and Welsh are still another week away.
Would like to see Prismall and Atkinson come back in.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Prismall.

Perhaps Houli, I think he was BOG for bendigo last weekend.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

They are all deckchairs on the Titanic. It makes no difference which fetid donkeys they choose from our extensive herd. If possible, I would simply choose which ever fetid donkeys are prepared to put their head over the ball and work for the good of the team. Make no mistake though, our performances against Melbourne and West Coast are as bad as you'd ever want to see. None of them deserve to play this week.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Key Bombers David Hille, Henry Slattery and Andrew Welsh will miss again this week through injury but are all expected to return for Round 18.

:lol: :roll:

It will be good to have David Hille back next week.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

It wont happen because all of a sudden the coaching panel are snesitve about making wholesale changes - well boys, you make your bed, lie in it!! Fact is, wholesale changes need to be made. I would drop Bellchambers and throw the challenge to Ryder to ruck the whole game - this may, with some luck, spark him out of his current lethargy. This will free up some room for an extra mid. I would move Dempsey as far from the Half Back line as possible. Try him on the wing, half forward even in the middle and tell him to just go and have fun - this boy is not a defenders big toe - but he can play. Hocking also, please, do not put him in defense. Start him in the middle as one of two inside type ball getters (the other being Watson).PACE PACE PACE. Melksham, Colyer, Winderlich accross the centre. Atkinson and Houli come in - again, more pace

Line up

McVeigh Fletcher Atkinson
NLM Hurley Hooker
Melksham Winderlich Dempsey
Zaharakis Gumbleton Houli
Davey Neagle Monfries

Ryder Watson Colyer

I/C Prismall, Hocking, Myers, Stanton
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

I don't mind the concept of giving Ryder the extra responsibility to try and get him to wake up, but I don't think you can afford to deliberately go into a game with only one ruckman.
If Ryder goes down in the first quarter that leaves us with Hooker to try his best.
I think everyone saw how we went with no ruckman in our final game last year.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I don't understand why everyone is down on Ryder. It can't be easy to ruck to our midfield which is constantly trying to play catch up with opposition midfields.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:I don't understand why everyone is down on Ryder. It can't be easy to ruck to our midfield which is constantly trying to play catch up with opposition midfields.
He has been shite for some time now - just not going to the next level

He should be able to ruck 80% of the game - let Hooker and Gumbleton provide support in the back and forward lines - he needs a rocket up his backside I reckon
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

What exactly is supposed to do? he is averging a goal a game, 20 hit outs and 5 tackles. He is not getting a massive amount of possessions but when he is contesting most of the stoppages and the opposition is constantly taking the ball away how is he supposed to?

Not to mention the fact that the way we are delivering the ball ATM means he has no hope in hell of snagging a mark.

I think Paddy is the least of our problems.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:What exactly is supposed to do? he is averging a goal a game, 20 hit outs and 5 tackles. He is not getting a massive amount of possessions but when he is contesting most of the stoppages and the opposition is constantly taking the ball away how is he supposed to?

Not to mention the fact that the way we are delivering the ball ATM means he has no hope in hell of snagging a mark.

I think Paddy is the least of our problems.

Dont get me wrong - I am a big fan - but despite your compelling array of stats, he needs to do more - he needs to take control of the game. Sis, I havnt seen anyone nominating Ryder as a possible B&F - he should be one of our leading candidates with his obvious talents. He barely gets a mention amongst our better players. I seriously doubt he would be considered an AFL Top 15 Ruckmen, at the moment.

I am simply saying that maybe, like in the ANZAC day game last year, a full game on the ball may kick start what is a disappointing season to date
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Paddy is still really young for a ruckman(22 i think).

just a quick question, do you think we missed henry slattery last weekend? Would LeCras have still kicked 12???

Also Stanton WON"T BE DROPPED. he kicked 3 goals last week. simply on that stat he should be first picked. we ain't exactly full of goalkickers at the moment.
Last edited by little_ripper on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I just don't think it's right to single him out for being more talented. ATM i feel he is being pulled down into the mire with everyone else.

Interesting question little-ripper....
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

little_ripper wrote:just a quick question, do you think we missed henry slattery last weekend? Would LeCras have still kicked 12???

No, he may have kicked 24.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Get Marigliani in.
Goes in hard and at some point we need to find out if he's up to AFL-level footy.

Given the season's over we may as well give Hardingham a game.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

j-mac31 wrote:Get Marigliani in.
Goes in hard and at some point we need to find out if he's up to AFL-level footy.

Given the season's over we may as well give Hardingham a game.
It will be pretty bloody dissapointing if we don't roll the dice this week.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robbie67 wrote:
little_ripper wrote:just a quick question, do you think we missed henry slattery last weekend? Would LeCras have still kicked 12???

No, he may have kicked 24.
Words taken from my mouth...

I was actually sitting there at one stage wishing that Henry was playing just for some extra added laffs
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

FB: McVeigh Hurley Fletcher
HB: Houli Hooker NLM
C: Winderlich Watson Prismall
HF: Zaharakis Gumby Melksham
FF: Monfries Neagle Davey
R: Ryder Myers Hocking
Int: Bellchambers Colyer Dempsey Stanton/Howlett

Really don't want to drop Howlett, Stanton has been horrible, but if we're gonna trade him I hope he runs around the rest of the year racking up 30+ possessions finishes high in the crichton and adds "value" to his trade worth. If houli doesn't get a chance this week then it's a joke, I don't care if he turns it over he finds the footy, quality disposal at AFL level only comes with experience (despite some freaks of nature). Play Hocking, Myers and Watson in the centre, all can win clearances and it's the one thing the bombers can't seem to do, get the ball in the centre and throw it on the damn boot, Jason Johnson was a champ at this and carried our midfield for years.

No more pretty football, we're not skilled enough to do it, just play, less thinking more doing. McVeigh and NLM should not leave the back 6, we need aggro down there they both have it. I won't care if we lose so long as I see north leaving the field looking like they've just played a game of football, our opponents over the past few weeks have walked off the ground like they've just finished training.

But all that said, I think I'll be rocking up watching a bombers outfit play loose unaccountable football in which they "attack at all costs" and fail to hit targets all over the ground and are bullied out of the contest :(
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Gatsid wrote: Really don't want to drop Howlett, Stanton has been horrible, but if we're gonna trade him I hope he runs around the rest of the year racking up 30+ possessions finishes high in the crichton and adds "value" to his trade worth.
What on earth makes you think essendon would trade Brent Stanton?